Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #10,246 of 12,302
Thanks so much for your Reply!
I’ll look closely to see if they are available somewhere, tho the price goes really high to get something shipped that way. The jds amp here costs the equivalent of 400 dollars or more, while it is actually 250. I fear they will become over 500 dollars, which is too much for me. The sundara goes by 350 euros on amazon.

My general recommendation if you're trying to figure out what you like is to buy used when possible, from other members with good feedback. You can get a good deal, and perhaps avoid the tax people (I'm not sure whether vat applies to second-hand goods in the EU.) If you get a good deal when you buy used, you will take less of a hit when you sell it. You can always replace the ear pads if you don't want to use them after someone else has, and probably still come out ahead.

I know this may be a bit less appealing in the age of Covid, and I get that. But it's an option nonetheless.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #10,247 of 12,302
Welcome KRed,

I will probably start to sound like a broken record, but my recommendation for you is the Grado Hemp. I have owned the HE-560 back in the days (I now have the HE-6SE but I'm selling them) and I prefer the Hemp versus both of these headphones for Prog-Rock/Metal (PT, DT, Riverside, SX, etc). Don't get me wrong, technically the HE-560 and the HE-6SE are probably slightly better, but for pure musical enjoyment I will always go with the Hemp versus the HiFiMANs.

You should contact the guys at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto to see if the would be willing to ship to Italy. The Hemp are on sale until the 14th. ($50 off)

https://baybloorradio.com/grado-the-hemp-headphone-limited-edition
How comfortable are the Grado Hemps? I have never really liked on-ear headphones, so spending $420 on something that is going to suck to wear for very long does not sound appealing.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #10,248 of 12,302
I’ll look closely to see if they are available somewhere, tho the price goes really high to get something shipped that way. The jds amp here costs the equivalent of 400 dollars or more, while it is actually 250. I fear they will become over 500 dollars, which is too much for me. The sundara goes by 350 euros on amazon.

Coming back to the subject, do you feel like describing a bit your feelings about it?One of the things i look into is the kick slam, cause with the senn. 560s you just get this very thight and fast bass that sucks so bad with the double pedal tracks. I love their breathable imaging tho.

Sorry I thought you were talking about the HE-560. I have never heard the new Sennheiser HD560s.

There's a guy from Italy in the Grado thread, I think he bought the Hemp from this store: https://www.hi-stands.eu/en/hemp.html

I don't have the time to write a long message now because it's a little bit crazy at my job today, but you should check this video from Steve Guttenberg and the review from Moon-audio.

https://www.moon-audio.com/grado-hemp-headphone-review#:~:text=The best way to describe,were anything but laid back.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #10,249 of 12,302
How comfortable are the Grado Hemps? I have never really liked on-ear headphones, so spending $420 on something that is going to suck to wear for very long does not sound appealing.

I'm using them 7/8 hours per day (also using them for my Zoom calls) and I barely feel that they are on my head.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #10,250 of 12,302

Coming back to the subject, do you feel like describing a bit your feelings about it?One of the things i look into is the kick slam, cause with the senn. 560s you just get this very thight and fast bass that sucks so bad with the double pedal tracks. I love their breathable imaging tho.

Sundaras make metal sound great. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic MXX-300s that add a little more bass to the low end, and so some of the heavier tracks can sound a little muddled due to the bass overpowering the guitar. Vocals and drums still stand out on both, but I'll choose the Sundaras everytime, even over Senn HD6XX (the 650 equivalents). Can't go wrong there, they're definitely my recommendation. They're not hard to drive either, so any amp should power them fine.

Black and thrash are especially good. NWOBHM like Iron Maiden sounds good too, and these are all CD quality tracks (not that many flacs exist beyond CD quality, or that you'd need them). The highs are pretty high, so mind louder volumes, but they're hardly fatiguing. They're clear and I think bring the highs just above neutral in both treble and bass. The low end is there, you'll hear bass, kicks, and toms, but there's not as much rumble as you'd find on a non-planar headphone. They're not ideal for hip-hop if you're wanting that thumping bass, but it's not like it isn't there or discernable. Just not really thumpy. Things like "Finish The Fight" on the Halo 3 ost or "Departure" on the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X ost will take your breath away, and it's nice to actually hear the vocals, drums, and guitar in my Immortal/Behemoth albums without getting an incoherent wall of sound. I leave that for playing in my truck.

Hope this helps!

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #10,251 of 12,302
Hi,
I’ve searched this thread and in general on the internet for the past 2 months. But I need to accept I’ve not managed to create a good enough understanding to make an informed blind purchase yet and therefore should ask for help from experts, to better the odds of a good purchase.

I’m on the hunt for a pair of closed back over ear headphones($100-400 no DAC + AMP req.) with a high comfort level(I have a new job and work in an ”open landscape” environment and wear headphones for about 6-8h during a workday). The past 4-5 years I have been using a pair of Fidelio X2, they have excellent comfort and they sound pretty good to me. However I understand from this thread there are probably more optimal headphones for my music taste, even if I lack the knowledge to specifically describe it, some sort of power metal with influences of symphonic? I’ve not found in this thread someone that listen to similar songs(used the thread search function).

The first part I need help with, are these songs considered to be Power Metal in the chart?:
Can you help me define what genre I’m listening to?
Is it PM that I should look at in the OP chart or some combination.

Here is a sample list which represent a range of all the different songs I listen to(I think they have similarities, so a pair of headphones which are optimal for this sound), the songs are mainly quite fast paced with the slowest song in my library being ”Demons & Wizards – Beneath these waves”.

Sample song list(youtube):
SAMPLE_SONGS_LIST

The similarities I value the most in these songs.
Vocals:

Good vocalists, most important for Goosebumps.

Punchy fast drum bass:
Most songs I listen to have a similar sort of fast punchy drum.

Variety of instruments:
Many songs have a quite a few instruments in them, it would be preferable to have
a pair of headphones that are good at separating and handling them.

Additionally:
My initial thought was the DT770 pro 80ohm but the chart say they are not good for PM, so then I thought the Shure srh840 seems like they would be optimal for the sound, however they have poor build quality and comfort levels I’ve read, unfortunately I’m going to have to make a blind purchase because I’m from a small town in a small country with no possibility to test stuff.

Currently my consideration is the ATH 990Z, would it be a good option?

I owned a pair of sony WH-1000xm3 which i returned after 2 days becuase they were very uncomftorable, to small and unbreathable earcups.

TL : DR:
Looking for a pair of comfortable closed back over ear HPs, price range $100-400. No DAC or AMP req. Should be able to handle quite fast songs with punchy bass and main focus on vocals.
Bonus, a pair of comftorable open back over ear headphones that would be an improvement over my Fidelio X2, AMP and DAC requirements can be considered. About $100-300(excl. AMP DAC). I was considering AKG k712 pro, but I read such conflicting information and they require specific and expensive AMP and DAC.

Availability in EU.

This became a longer post then I first planned. 😊 Any help or pointers is appreciated, if more info is needed or if I'm not specific enough, let me know.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #10,252 of 12,302
While I respect all opinions, I still find myself baffled how much people enjoy Grados. I've tried so many of them and while a few were "pleasant" all of them left me yearning for some impact and low end.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #10,253 of 12,302
Hi,
I’ve searched this thread and in general on the internet for the past 2 months. But I need to accept I’ve not managed to create a good enough understanding to make an informed blind purchase yet and therefore should ask for help from experts, to better the odds of a good purchase.

I’m on the hunt for a pair of closed back over ear headphones($100-400 no DAC + AMP req.) with a high comfort level(I have a new job and work in an ”open landscape” environment and wear headphones for about 6-8h during a workday). The past 4-5 years I have been using a pair of Fidelio X2, they have excellent comfort and they sound pretty good to me. However I understand from this thread there are probably more optimal headphones for my music taste, even if I lack the knowledge to specifically describe it, some sort of power metal with influences of symphonic? I’ve not found in this thread someone that listen to similar songs(used the thread search function).

The first part I need help with, are these songs considered to be Power Metal in the chart?:
Can you help me define what genre I’m listening to?
Is it PM that I should look at in the OP chart or some combination.

Here is a sample list which represent a range of all the different songs I listen to(I think they have similarities, so a pair of headphones which are optimal for this sound), the songs are mainly quite fast paced with the slowest song in my library being ”Demons & Wizards – Beneath these waves”.

Sample song list(youtube):
SAMPLE_SONGS_LIST

The similarities I value the most in these songs.
Vocals:

Good vocalists, most important for Goosebumps.

Punchy fast drum bass:
Most songs I listen to have a similar sort of fast punchy drum.

Variety of instruments:
Many songs have a quite a few instruments in them, it would be preferable to have
a pair of headphones that are good at separating and handling them.

Additionally:
My initial thought was the DT770 pro 80ohm but the chart say they are not good for PM, so then I thought the Shure srh840 seems like they would be optimal for the sound, however they have poor build quality and comfort levels I’ve read, unfortunately I’m going to have to make a blind purchase because I’m from a small town in a small country with no possibility to test stuff.

Currently my consideration is the ATH 990Z, would it be a good option?

I owned a pair of sony WH-1000xm3 which i returned after 2 days becuase they were very uncomftorable, to small and unbreathable earcups.

TL : DR:
Looking for a pair of comfortable closed back over ear HPs, price range $100-400. No DAC or AMP req. Should be able to handle quite fast songs with punchy bass and main focus on vocals.
Bonus, a pair of comftorable open back over ear headphones that would be an improvement over my Fidelio X2, AMP and DAC requirements can be considered. About $100-300(excl. AMP DAC). I was considering AKG k712 pro, but I read such conflicting information and they require specific and expensive AMP and DAC.

Availability in EU.

This became a longer post then I first planned. 😊 Any help or pointers is appreciated, if more info is needed or if I'm not specific enough, let me know.

HiFiMan Sundaras are $350 USD, and MXX-300 are $250 USD. Not sure about Europe availability, but these are excellent for the punchy bass you're looking for. Sundaras especially. Punchy without being overwhelming.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #10,254 of 12,302
HiFiMan Sundaras are $350 USD, and MXX-300 are $250 USD. Not sure about Europe availability, but these are excellent for the punchy bass you're looking for. Sundaras especially. Punchy without being overwhelming.

Thank you for the reply!
The Sundaras look intersting, unfortunately for me it look like the Sundaras have some extra added cost over here, $510 for a new pair. For an extra $160 maybe there are better options which do not have bloated import taxes? Or would you still consider it a fair price for the Sundaras?

The Beyerdynamic MMX-300 however are similarly priced at $280. I'd not considered headsets, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong product?

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #10,255 of 12,302
Thank you for the reply!
The Sundaras look intersting, unfortunately for me it look like the Sundaras have some extra added cost over here, $510 for a new pair. For an extra $160 maybe there are better options which do not have bloated import taxes? Or would you still consider it a fair price for the Sundaras?

The Beyerdynamic MMX-300 however are similarly priced at $280. I'd not considered headsets, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong product?

No it's definitely a headset, but the microphone is an after thought. Trying to appeal to the gaming dac/amp market like Sennheiser GSX1000 and SoundBlaster X3. The sound is amazing, and if they weren't a "gaming headset" they'd be considered one of the better closed-back headphones in that price range: and they certainly are. I replaced the earpads with Dekoni Choice Leather pads, brings the price to around $300 USD and I have no regrets. More bass than the Sundaras, without losing the highs. Sundaras still have them beat in soundstage width, though I'd say it's close.

However, I still prefer the Sundaras. Idk if they're worth $500 USD, but that was their original asking price when they first released so maybe they were at one point, but now folks are saying their biggest benefit is that they're a $500 headphone for $150 less, which puts them above most headphones in that price range. They're still one of the more popular, highly-reviewed planars out there, but Idk if there's another $500 pair that bests them as I don't have a huge collection (yet, RIP my wallet). I've heard that Audeze LCD# are amazing, but I'm not sure what they cost or how they truly compare.

My recommendation? If $300 is your hard budget, the MXX-300 Gen II. If you can afford the Sundaras, they're also a really solid buy. You won't regret them a bit. I was also cranking the volume today on my Geshelli Labs JNOG + THX AAA 789, and they were able to put up with them, though they are low impedance headphones from what I understand. 43 ohms.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,256 of 12,302
I think it's funny that even with similar musical tastes we all have different headphones we think are ideal for it. Just goes to show that, really, there aren't even best headphones for a given genre. I've always found HFM's products too thin, but then that's because I like much warmer fare, and the stuff I like would be muddy to others.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #10,257 of 12,302
While I respect all opinions, I still find myself baffled how much people enjoy Grados. I've tried so many of them and while a few were "pleasant" all of them left me yearning for some impact and low end.

It's because of the perception that peoples have about the classic Grado sound. And I cannot blame them, because normally I would never recommend a pair of Grado headphones to someone listening to something heavier than Iron Maiden or Megadeth. After selling my pair of RS2e, I told myself that I would never buy another pair of Grado headphones. You don't want to listen to bands like Dimmu Borgir with the RS2e trust me. Been there, done that and my ears are probably still bleeding. Long story short, I have decided to purchase the Hemp after seeing all the glowing reviews, and 3 months later I'm still blown away every time I put them on my head.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #10,258 of 12,302

I strongly recommend the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (it is on-ear, but sound-wise for metal it is very, very good). AKG K371 is another option to look at, but for metal the Sennheiser is hard to beat.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #10,259 of 12,302
No it's definitely a headset, but the microphone is an after thought. Trying to appeal to the gaming dac/amp market like Sennheiser GSX1000 and SoundBlaster X3. The sound is amazing, and if they weren't a "gaming headset" they'd be considered one of the better closed-back headphones in that price range: and they certainly are. I replaced the earpads with Dekoni Choice Leather pads, brings the price to around $300 USD and I have no regrets. More bass than the Sundaras, without losing the highs. Sundaras still have them beat in soundstage width, though I'd say it's close.

However, I still prefer the Sundaras. Idk if they're worth $500 USD, but that was their original asking price when they first released so maybe they were at one point, but now folks are saying their biggest benefit is that they're a $500 headphone for $150 less, which puts them above most headphones in that price range. They're still one of the more popular, highly-reviewed planars out there, but Idk if there's another $500 pair that bests them as I don't have a huge collection (yet, RIP my wallet). I've heard that Audeze LCD# are amazing, but I'm not sure what they cost or how they truly compare.

My recommendation? If $300 is your hard budget, the MXX-300 Gen II. If you can afford the Sundaras, they're also a really solid buy. You won't regret them a bit. I was also cranking the volume today on my Geshelli Labs JNOG + THX AAA 789, and they were able to put up with them, though they are low impedance headphones from what I understand. 43 ohms.

I mean really the budget is up to me and its arbitrary, however i must be somewhat responsible I guess its a new field for me. However there are like sliders I imagine, if I get cheaper closed backs I can get more expensive open backs, or I get more money for DAC&AMP, in the end it will be kind of a shot in the dark. :)

I probably failed to express this clear enough or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But the closed back ones that are for the workplace will not have DAC or AMP, it would be a hassle to port that every day, so a pair that sound good enough without a DAC&AMP is priority. Are the MMX-300 decent enough without DAC/AMP if they are catered to that market?

Thank you that's very helpful information about the Sundaras, the more I read about them the more interesting they sound, as I understand it they are the evolution of the HE400i and have a similar sound which many like for metal, so I can apply aspects of the HE400 reviews to the Sundaras? And yeah the Audeze LCD-1 is available for the same price as the Sundaras here.

I strongly recommend the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (it is on-ear, but sound-wise for metal it is very, very good). AKG K371 is another option to look at, but for metal the Sennheiser is hard to beat.

Thank you for the reply!
So the thing is I'm on the autism spectrum, headphones touching my ears make me very irritated to the point I actually express anger without reason. So even if the headphones are great, on-ear is not an option for me. This is the main reason I love my Fidelio x2 HPs, the cups are so large and airy and the connection/pressure points are around the ear so it is not touching at all. This is the optimal solution for me I imagine.

The AKG371 look very interesting for the workplace, people compare their midrange to the k701 SOURCE which many say are very good for power metal. And they are quite cheap here $142 so even if it's a miss it would not be that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #10,260 of 12,302
It's because of the perception that peoples have about the classic Grado sound. And I cannot blame them, because normally I would never recommend a pair of Grado headphones to someone listening to something heavier than Iron Maiden or Megadeth. After selling my pair of RS2e, I told myself that I would never buy another pair of Grado headphones. You don't want to listen to bands like Dimmu Borgir with the RS2e trust me. Been there, done that and my ears are probably still bleeding. Long story short, I have decided to purchase the Hemp after seeing all the glowing reviews, and 3 months later I'm still blown away every time I put them on my head.

I remember spending solid year almost entirely listening to Opeth on vinyl with a tube amp and k701s. After that I purchased a pair of Grado Headphones and returned them the same day. A friend had a TOTL set for sale and I was able to listen to them on top equipment.

The understanding I have is people get used to the tone. They are almost the opposite of the tone a closed back headphone has. But somehow people like them. They must like them due to the speed and pronounced guitar midrange in metal?

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia would make your ears fall off after hearing it on Grado headphones. All those drum blasts that are mixed just so forward become a mechanical tool, a shop tool with Grados. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back