Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #10,066 of 12,317
How's the 6xx for metal in general? I thought they were better for slower/jazz kinda music. I have plans to get HD600 for listening to mostly other genres of music not much death/black but if it comes to that, can they handle the speed?
I have a Sennheiser HD6XX.
I would like to listen to (death/thrash/grindcore) metal music but I am not satisfied with the 6xx. Main problem the guitars aren't right somehow.
I cannot believe that the Kreator-Pleasure to kill album sounds like jazz using the 6xx. :wink:
Sorry to say.
So I have to buy another headphone but have no a clue which one.
(nevertheless the 6xx is recommended headphone for other (non-metal) music genres, it is a good one)

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #10,067 of 12,317
I know nothing about Keces, but Monolith amps are generally pretty decent. And headphones don't need to be expensive to be good. Heck, Porta Pros are some of the most universally liked headpones, and they're $30 and look like bullcrap you'd find in a bin at wallmart. And they're excellent.

My first "real" setup was $400. It's like the audiophile starter-pack of Schiit mini-stack + Sennheiser HD6XX. And that's overkill for what you really actually need before you start going into the zany rabbithole of incremental upgrades that is the audiophile hobby.
The Keces equipment is fantastic IMO... I have the amp & DAC, the build is solid and sound excellent to me, here's my SS setup with the Keces. The amp has a pass through which is very convenient for sending a signal to the Monolith tube amp sitting on the other side of the desk.

Attachments

• IMG-1161.JPG
    IMG-1161.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #10,068 of 12,317
I would like to listen to (death/thrash/grindcore) metal music but I am not satisfied with the 6xx. Main problem the guitars aren't right somehow.
I cannot believe that the Kreator-Pleasure to kill album sounds like jazz using the 6xx. :wink:
Sorry to say.
(nevertheless the 6xx is recommended headphone for other (non-metal) music genres, it is a good one)
The guitars on this album are thin on anything, and the production is terrible... Good album though.

I just listened to Necrophagist - Epitaph on the hd600s and they rocked.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #10,069 of 12,317
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om) (excerpt from the first page)

- So Death and Grindcore interpretation is great - tight bass and unity without loss of speed.
- What is not so good: Death: A little something is missing to make 770 Death presentation perfect. May be a bit of brightness or may be a bit of darkness.

Is it great or not so good then? :xf_confused:

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,071 of 12,317
What a terrible opinion. Pleasure to Kill has amazingly raw production which is perfectly suitable for this kind of Thrash.
I used to think like you. Nowadays, with the high-end equipment, I find myself not enjoying the older, raw recordings as much as I used to. A shame to some degree, but not all the old stuff is poorly recorded, and there are so many great new releases every week, that I don't even get around to the classics anymore.

But hey, to each his own, esp. when it comes to preferences in metal genres and recording styles. :metal:

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #10,072 of 12,317
Sorry to say.
You should look into HiFiman Sundara, it sounds great for metal and priced very well. I was considering 600 for other genres not metal particularly, for that I have the Sundara's.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #10,073 of 12,317
Can some of you guys reccomend some well produced metal albums be it death/thrash/black/grind/heavy metal any thing that sonicalls justifies the creative effort. Some prefer raw sound some clean.I personally like raw sound but should be able to hear all the instruments clearly and should not sound muddy. Nothing better than good air in-between instruments but can't ask for such luxury in metal. I don't mind clean production as long as they dont sound over produced and machine like sound. So what are some of the best must listen well produced metal albums dating from back in the days to now?
Thanks in Advance

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #10,074 of 12,317
What a terrible opinion. Pleasure to Kill has amazingly raw production which is perfectly suitable for this kind of Thrash.

To each their own. I find most of 80s thrash production to be unlistenable by 2020 standards. Thin, reverby and badly recorded.

Give me Andy Sneap Exodus any day over this.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #10,075 of 12,317
Can some of you guys reccomend some well produced metal albums be it death/thrash/black/grind/heavy metal any thing that sonicalls justifies the creative effort. Some prefer raw sound some clean.I personally like raw sound but should be able to hear all the instruments clearly and should not sound muddy. Nothing better than good air in-between instruments but can't ask for such luxury in metal. I don't mind clean production as long as they dont sound over produced and machine like sound. So what are some of the best must listen well produced metal albums dating from back in the days to now?
Thanks in Advance

The best produced metal albums I've heard are

Metallica - The Black Album
Exodus - Exhibit B
Necrophagist - Epitaph
any Meshuggah album since Destroy Erase Improve
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Any Steven Wilson produced Opeth album, but I guess Blackwater Park
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Spawn of Possesion - Incurso
Symphony X - The Oddysey
Periphery is very well produced, although not my cup of tea.
Nile - At The Gate of Sethu
Death - Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
Morbid Angel - Covenant

There's loads, but those come to my mind immediately.

All classic black metal albums are pretty goddamn awful sounding, as was intended. New stuff like Mgla sounds good though.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #10,076 of 12,317
Great! I love many of your reccomendations. Some albums are very well produced but am not much into bands like Messugah, Periphery and Metallica. I like Justice/Ride the lightning but rest of the albums didn't work much for me. Black album is definitely one of the best produced metal albums ever.
I love all Opeth albums till Watershed, not just Wilson but both Dan swano and Jen's bogren albums sound great for my ears.
Nile's Annihilation of the wicked I've always considered that one the best produced death metal albums. I will check out At the gates of sethu.
I was listening to Covenant last night infact, I need to get this album. Blessed for me is the best Morbid Angel with best production. I will give Covenant more time once I get it in loseless format.
Everything from Death sounds good to my ears, Morris sounds 🙏
Epitaph is really good production totally agree, have to checkout the rest of the albums. I've listened to Demanfacture and Dead hearts..like a decade back on crappy speakers. Will give them a proper listen now. Thanks for all the recc buddy. If some other albums come to your mind feel free to share. Thanks

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #10,077 of 12,317
Great! I love many of your reccomendations. Some albums are very well produced but am not much into bands like Messugah, Periphery and Metallica. I like Justice/Ride the lightning but rest of the albums didn't work much for me. Black album is definitely one of the best produced metal albums ever.
I love all Opeth albums till Watershed, not just Wilson but both Dan swano and Jen's bogren albums sound great for my ears.
Nile's Annihilation of the wicked I've always considered that one the best produced death metal albums. I will check out At the gates of sethu.
I was listening to Covenant last night infact, I need to get this album. Blessed for me is the best Morbid Angel with best production. I will give Covenant more time once I get it in loseless format.
Everything from Death sounds good to my ears, Morris sounds 🙏
Epitaph is really good production totally agree, have to checkout the rest of the albums. I've listened to Demanfacture and Dead hearts..like a decade back on crappy speakers. Will give them a proper listen now. Thanks for all the recc buddy. If some other albums come to your mind feel free to share. Thanks
No problem!

I just remembered that recently I discovered Deeds of Flesh - Portals to Canaan. The production is lovely. Great instrument separation. Kick ass death metal too.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #10,078 of 12,317
Has anyone tried a diana v2 with metal?

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #10,079 of 12,317
The best produced metal albums I've heard are

Metallica - The Black Album
Exodus - Exhibit B
Necrophagist - Epitaph
any Meshuggah album since Destroy Erase Improve
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Any Steven Wilson produced Opeth album, but I guess Blackwater Park
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Spawn of Possesion - Incurso
Symphony X - The Oddysey
Periphery is very well produced, although not my cup of tea.
Nile - At The Gate of Sethu
Death - Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
Morbid Angel - Covenant

There's loads, but those come to my mind immediately.

All classic black metal albums are pretty goddamn awful sounding, as was intended. New stuff like Mgla sounds good though.

I gotta admit... a lot of these are on the way opposite for me.

Demanufacture's drums sound atrocious. They're so artificial and plastic, the snare sounds like a clap more than a drum, and At the Gate of Sethu was heavily criticized at the time for how overly compressed and Pro Tools-ed it is. Same with Incurso. They don't sound like actual instruments at all. But then again it's odd to ever point at tech death for good production given how they're almost always quantized and compressed to hell, even if it's something of a necessity for the style. I would honestly, without hesitation, call something like Burzum's Filosofem "better produced" than a few of these just because the production choices really suit the compositions rather than detracting.

More on topic though, for low cost, the Philips X3 is a joy for metal. Defeated Sanity's Disposal of the Dead is meaty as hell.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #10,080 of 12,317
I gotta admit... a lot of these are on the way opposite for me.

Demanufacture's drums sound atrocious. They're so artificial and plastic, the snare sounds like a clap more than a drum, and At the Gate of Sethu was heavily criticized at the time for how overly compressed and Pro Tools-ed it is. Same with Incurso. They don't sound like actual instruments at all. But then again it's odd to ever point at tech death for good production given how they're almost always quantized and compressed to hell, even if it's something of a necessity for the style. I would honestly, without hesitation, call something like Burzum's Filosofem "better produced" than a few of these just because the production choices really suit the compositions rather than detracting.

More on topic though, for low cost, the Philips X3 is a joy for metal. Defeated Sanity's Disposal of the Dead is meaty as hell.
I enjoy the robotic sound of tech death albums. I don't think it would work at all without all the compression. Epitaph was recorded note by note and then patched together and it sounds spectacular to me. I think most of modern techy stuff is punched in to death or recorded at half speed, but I personally dig how it inhumanely clean it sounds. But yeah I get where're you're coming from. I dig dynamic range and rawer feel, but not necessarily in metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Hofy
Back