Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #9,886 of 12,302
So I've been really enjoying my Fostex TH900 (which I got for an insanely low price of $1080 CAD from Canada Computers brand new, was really lucky to stumble upon it, it was the last or second last pair on clearance). Thanks for the recommendation by everyone, I really am grateful, it's perfect for both Metal and DnB subgenres I'm into. I owe you guys for that.

Now, do you guys feel that an open back pair of headphones would complement the TH900 really well or is it a bit overkill given my subgenres below? I'm new to full headphones - I've only used IEMs for the last 12 years like most kids, the only open backs I've owned were the Sennheiser HD598, 6xx (hated both, but that's because of the typical Sennheiser sound signature, not necessarily it being open back) and tried one of the entry level Hifiman planars from my friend (HE-400 I think, I only remember they're not well liked here and frequently went for 60% sales).

I was dead set on trying out the Rosson RAD-0 but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about switching between two headphones given my genres listed below, it seems a bit tedious. I'm very open to trying them/buying a pair (pun semi-intended), price isn't a major issue but if I'm not going to end up using one pair of cans at all then I might as well save the $1-2k right? Also as an aside I don't think I'm quite ready to spend 3-5k on TOTL open backs like the FAD D8kP just yet. I doubt I would be able to appreciate the marginal differences at my current "level" if you will. Is there certain subgenres of Metal where the RAD-0 would shine above the TH900?

I guess my only option is to audition the RAD-0? Rosson has a good return policy. I've called all local dealers listed on Canuck Audio Mart in my region (Calgary, AB) but no one carries it. Any input is appreciated but I'm in no rush - I look forward to my TH900s everyday right now because of limited time being spent outside and all my work being done from home. It might be my favorite purchase of all time so far (if I'm exaggerating it's only slightly) - only downsides are the cable since it's the original and an unappealing aesthetic to me personally (I quite like the Sapphire Blue mk2 that I've seen in person at M&S, a local dealer, but they wouldn't price match $2500 CAD to CC's $1080 CAD for the original TH900).

It sounds like, to me, you are looking to "upgrade" more out of desire to just try something new and less out of necessity. And, believe me....that's where I've mostly been for the past few years with this hobby lol. The upgraditis is severe.

For what you listen to and from your description of what you like and haven't liked in the headphone game, it sounds like the TH900 could potentially be endgame for you. With that being said, trying something different that complements what you have is the beauty of this, as long as it doesn't cause financial harm lol.

I think an open-back planar is the logical step for you to try a slightly different experience to complement what you already like. For you, my vote would be trying the Rosson RAD-0, for sure.
You will find, in particular, the bass quality to be quite different with the RAD-0 than the TH900.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #9,888 of 12,302
Can anyone contribute their opinions on some high-end IEMs suitable for extreme metal subgenres? I was very unimpressed with the FiiO FH7 mainly due to thin bass and vastly prefer the cheaper Audiosense T800 with the right cable/tips. Since IEMs are my most used gear, it's well worth looking at the high-end range. Currently looking at the 64a Tia Trio, 64a Nio, Sony IER Z1R, FAD A8000, Hifiman RE2000, CTM Davinci X, Light Harmonic Mera Signature, EE Legend X (or new Odin), etc. Currently my standard is the incredibly cheap Audiosense T800 with a good copper cable and Azla Xelastec tips which is under $500 CAD.

I'm not getting as much use time with my Fostex TH900 right now as I'd like (work demands/mobility is increasing as of recent so I'm not necessarily at home all day anymore), so I think I'll postpone the RAD-0 purchase for my open back pair unless there's a wicked good sale. I'll get 'em one day, but I'm happy with the Fostex alone right now and would much rather use that money on TOTL IEMs if I can find something that I like.

I really wish there was an IEM equivalent thread like this one, it's pretty hard to find good anecdotes for specific subgenres.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #9,889 of 12,302
For those liking/considering the TH900, and provided you don' need a closed headphone, I suggest listening to the TH909, much better in my opinion. More refined, great for Metal, bass has great slam and is better defined/textured, the TH900 may have more quantity but worst quality (feels bloated in comparison), and treble is not as piercing with the TH909 yet detail retrieval is excellent. Also superb imaging and excellent soundstage (just don't expect HD800 levels)

I also agree that Verité Closed with Auteur pasa works great.

Regarding IEMs, maybe try an IMR, great sound/price ratio. One step up you can consider the Itsfit Fusion, regarding 64 Audio I own both the Trió and the Nio, either works great for Metal, both are similarly resolving and have great bass, but for treble energy and more perceived clarity go with the Trió, for more bass presence go with the Nio which also has swappable modules to alter the sound signature and is cheaper.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #9,890 of 12,302
For those liking/considering the TH900, and provided you don' need a closed headphone, I suggest listening to the TH909, much better in my opinion. More refined, great for Metal, bass has great slam and is better defined/textured, the TH900 may have more quantity but worst quality (feels bloated in comparison), and treble is not as piercing with the TH909 yet detail retrieval is excellent. Also superb imaging and excellent soundstage (just don't expect HD800 levels)

Regarding IEMs, maybe try an IMR, great sound/price ratio. One step up you can consider the Itsfit Fusion, regarding 64 Audio I own both the Trió and the Nio, either works great for Metal, both are similarly resolving and have great bass, but for treble energy and more perceived clarity go with the Trió, for more bass presence go with the Nio which also has swappable modules to alter the sound signature and is cheaper.

So much to learn and so much uncharted territory. I'm starting to wonder if I don't just prefer "guilty pleasure" sound signatures in general since the T800 is said to be pretty bass heavy (though not Legend X levels, and certainly not extreme V-shaped like the Valkyrie). Same with TH900s - the bass is what hooked me and I'm surprised to hear that you find it bloated (haven't tried TH909s though).

Sony's IER-Z1R is extremely accessible to me, dozens of stores have it near me so I can't pass up the chance to audition them. Might even get a sweet deal depending on the staff/management. Anywho I think I need more reference points with IEMs to understand what I really want so it's sensible to audition the IER-Z1R as soon as I can since they're so easily accessible for me. Not sure if they're good for metal but they're a lot of people's top IEM (probably the most popular TOTL IEM if Crinacle's Discord is any indication/accurate representation of the audiophile community).

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #9,891 of 12,302
I'm considering the Nio. Currently using the U12T. Anyone own(ed) both and can comment on suitability for metal, which is my main genre?

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #9,892 of 12,302
I'm considering the Nio. Currently using the U12T. Anyone own(ed) both and can comment on suitability for metal, which is my main genre?

I have not heard the U12. I think the most important thing to know is how YOU like to enjoy/listen to your music. Everyone may like to enjoy Metal in a different way, I can enjoy it even with and HD800S, which probably nobody would quote as a recommendation for Metal music, but I'm a soundstage addict and I also like it. Since typically you want good and prominent bass slam for Metal, the Nio would seem like the way to go for most people.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #9,893 of 12,302
So much to learn and so much uncharted territory. I'm starting to wonder if I don't just prefer "guilty pleasure" sound signatures in general since the T800 is said to be pretty bass heavy (though not Legend X levels, and certainly not extreme V-shaped like the Valkyrie). Same with TH900s - the bass is what hooked me and I'm surprised to hear that you find it bloated (haven't tried TH909s though).

Sony's IER-Z1R is extremely accessible to me, dozens of stores have it near me so I can't pass up the chance to audition them. Might even get a sweet deal depending on the staff/management. Anywho I think I need more reference points with IEMs to understand what I really want so it's sensible to audition the IER-Z1R as soon as I can since they're so easily accessible for me. Not sure if they're good for metal but they're a lot of people's top IEM (probably the most popular TOTL IEM if Crinacle's Discord is any indication/accurate representation of the audiophile community).

The more gear you can test over time the better knowledge you have on your preferences and tastes, which may evolve. The TH900 is great and sexy looking, got it with a Hugo2 as a combo deal, great pairing, one of my first expensive headphones, but after testing/owning other headphones I can now judge them better, and I also know my tastes better; in that context I would pick the TH909 for Metal and other genres (as it's more versatile) over the TH909 but YMMV. If bass/slam quantity is a priority the TH900 may still be preferable.

Regarding the IER-Z1R I did not test it long enough to comment, but make sure it's really comfortable for you to wear it long enough, quite some people have sold them due to fit issues.

Also, if you like "V" shape sounding IEMs consider the Beyerdynamic Xelento, plus they are very very comfortable.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #9,894 of 12,302
I have not heard the U12. I think the most important thing to know is how YOU like to enjoy/listen to your music. Everyone may like to enjoy Metal in a different way, I can enjoy it even with and HD800S, which probably nobody would quote as a recommendation for Metal music, but I'm a soundstage addict and I also like it. Since typically you want good and prominent bass slam for Metal, the Nio would seem like the way to go for most people.
With headphones I am a fan of the Abyss 1266: slam/punch AND detail. I guess I am looking for the best of these worlds in IEMs as well. I am hoping the Nio will provide more slam, while retaining a good level of detail retrieval. Maybe I should check out the Solaris as well.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #9,895 of 12,302
Never had the opportunity to listen the Abyss or the Solaris, but I can tell you that Nio with the M20 provides a strong bass/warm sound signature while retaining detail retrieval (just not highlighted, that would be the Trió) and excellent midrange.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #9,896 of 12,302

Speaking of IMR, what model do you recommend? They're very well priced to be honest even after conversion to CAD. The Fusion also isn't that expensive but I have no idea how any of those special drivers sound like outside of what I've read anecdotally.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #9,897 of 12,302
Speaking of IMR, what model do you recommend? They're very well priced to be honest even after conversion to CAD. The Fusion also isn't that expensive but I have no idea how any of those special drivers sound like outside of what I've read anecdotally.

The "problem" with IMR is their business model. As soon a they launch a model in limited quantities they are launching the next rehash or variation of it which is just a bit improved, over and over, rather than selling a finally well-polished IEM. Right now their best new offers are the Opus Mia (a rehash of their last R3 Halcyon, available in 2 weeks) and what (for a probably short now) will be their top tier Semper, either one should be a good option for Metal given IMR's bassy sound signature.

The last IMR I own is the Rah, it provides great sound-price performance ratio, but 64 Audio Nio and Trió are clearly better to me, not in a proportional way to the price difference but clearly you get a a better product paying (much) more.

The Opus Mia and specially the Semper are expected to be better than the Rah with hopefully even much better sound-price ratio.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #9,898 of 12,302
I think I realize why I like the AS T800 so much - it's the isolation. It's a near perfect seal and apparently provides -30 dB of insulation (the 64a Nio only provides 2/3 of that). The FiiO FH7 aren't great for this either. This means that CIEMs are my only realistic option because I'll likely always be dissatisfied with fit and isolation unless they're perfect UIEM's for my ears. After reading about the fit issues with the IER-Z1R I'm reluctant to try them anymore (even though I wouldn't be penalized for 30 days through Sony's authorized Canadian dealer online). Overall I'm leaning to try the 64a Nio, Sony IER-Z1R and EA LX Odin which should give me almost all the info I need on what kind of SS I prefer, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to audition the Nio and LX unless I'm in Toronto for a bit. I suspect I'll have to settle for two IEMs in the end, one for metal subgenres and one for DnB subgenres.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #9,899 of 12,302
I think I realize why I like the AS T800 so much - it's the isolation. It's a near perfect seal and apparently provides -30 dB of insulation (the 64a Nio only provides 2/3 of that). The FiiO FH7 aren't great for this either. This means that CIEMs are my only realistic option because I'll likely always be dissatisfied with fit and isolation unless they're perfect UIEM's for my ears. After reading about the fit issues with the IER-Z1R I'm reluctant to try them anymore (even though I wouldn't be penalized for 30 days through Sony's authorized Canadian dealer online). Overall I'm leaning to try the 64a Nio, Sony IER-Z1R and EA LX Odin which should give me almost all the info I need on what kind of SS I prefer, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to audition the Nio and LX unless I'm in Toronto for a bit. I suspect I'll have to settle for two IEMs in the end, one for metal subgenres and one for DnB subgenres.

I’m really interested in knowing how it all turns out for you, as I’m in a similar position myself.

I’ve been leaning toward the Final A8000 due to the lightning speeds it promises and from what I read probably can’t be beat in that regard by any other DD driver. Still, mulling over my options before I shoot for it though.

What sort of metal is it you’ll mostly be listening too btw? I too am an Emperor fan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back