Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #9,706 of 12,302
Oh my word, over 600 pages...

Is anyone able to give any quick recommendations for a hair of headphones to pair with FiiO M11 Pro for metal, budget ~$300-550 USD. I'm using iBasso IT04 earbuds right now, but I'd like more options - especially a pair of cans would be cool.

For music such as deathcore & melodic death metal (and others); like Carnifex, All Shall Perish, Opeth, Solution .45, Disarmonia Mundi, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Blood Red Throne, etc. Not really into the grindcore or sludge metal.

I guess closed back (not sure), as they'd primarily be used at work in the office. :)

Grazie!

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,707 of 12,302

Is anyone able to give any quick recommendations for a hair of headphones to pair with FiiO M11 Pro for metal, budget ~$300-550 USD. I'm using iBasso IT04 earbuds right now, but I'd like more options - especially a pair of cans would be cool.

For music such as deathcore & melodic death metal (and others); like Carnifex, All Shall Perish, Opeth, Solution .45, Disarmonia Mundi, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Blood Red Throne, etc. Not really into the grindcore or sludge metal.

I guess closed back (not sure), as they'd primarily be used at work in the office. :)

Grazie!
With that budget you could get a nice headphone and IEM for metal! :)
Drop 58x
Periodic Audio Be

(I listen to mostly those same bands, all shall perish and carnifex anyway).

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #9,708 of 12,302
With that budget you could get a nice headphone and IEM for metal! :)
Drop 58x
Periodic Audio Be

(I listen to mostly those same bands, all shall perish and carnifex anyway).

Hey, thanks! I think I was looking at the 'Be' IEM a couple days ago or so! I'm interested in picking up the Fearless Audio S8Pro, but sorry I didn't mean multiple items for the budget, but rather just a single pair - any suggestions for a ~$300-500 set of cans by themselves?
I'm semi-assuming I'll need an amp too, but that'll be outside of the budget concern.

Have you tried either of those with listening to Necrophagist, Beneath The Massacre, or other tech-death bands? Can they keep up? Also a fan of The Faceless.

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #9,709 of 12,302
Hey, thanks! I think I was looking at the 'Be' IEM a couple days ago or so! I'm interested in picking up the Fearless Audio S8Pro, but sorry I didn't mean multiple items for the budget, but rather just a single pair - any suggestions for a ~$300-500 set of cans by themselves?
I'm semi-assuming I'll need an amp too, but that'll be outside of the budget concern.
Have you tried either of those with listening to Necrophagist, Beneath The Massacre, or other tech-death bands? Can they keep up? Also a fan of The Faceless.
I know you were talking about one, I was just saying that's a good budget and threw out two. I don't buy headphones/IEM's much over 300 so I can't help you there, the Be at 300 is the most expensive I own.
For the amp you just mentioned in your original post that you had the M11 Pro which I thought was pretty capable, though I don't own one.
I'm listening to Beneath the Massacre - Bitter on Tidal right now since you brought up those bands, it's my first time hearing it so it's hard to say if it can keep up or not but certainly nothing is smeared and all the instruments stand out easily (separated). I must say I do like this band though, now I'm adding them to my playlist and trying your other rec's, thanks! lol

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #9,710 of 12,302
I know you were talking about one, I was just saying that's a good budget and threw out two. I don't buy headphones/IEM's much over 300 so I can't help you there, the Be at 300 is the most expensive I own.
For the amp you just mentioned in your original post that you had the M11 Pro which I thought was pretty capable, though I don't own one.
I'm listening to Beneath the Massacre - Bitter on Tidal right now since you brought up those bands, it's my first time hearing it so it's hard to say if it can keep up or not but certainly nothing is smeared and all the instruments stand out easily (separated). I must say I do like this band though, now I'm adding them to my playlist and trying your other rec's, thanks! lol

Ah, okay. :).

And nice! Enjoy BtM, and thanks for your thoughts on the 'Be' with that type of music too.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #9,711 of 12,302

Grazie!

If it's for the office..I'm assuming that you are working with other people..so don't want anything too flashy or expensive. Perhaps look at the AKG K371?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #9,712 of 12,302
If it's for the office..I'm assuming that you are working with other people..so don't want anything too flashy or expensive. Perhaps look at the AKG K371?

Thanks for the response! Actually, expensive is fine! I've left my IEMs, players, phones and stuff out - don't recall ever having anything stolen. My area is out of line-of-sight for the most part inside.

Bring on the recommendations, :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #9,713 of 12,302
Several pages back there are a few roundups of the most recommended headphones for metal in all price brackets. Some of us trawled through 100s of pages!

You'll have more options if you can use open headphones.

May 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #9,714 of 12,302
OK Guys I have take the Elear and with my Yamaha RX-880 sound realy Nice. I have try with many Heavy MEtal song and they sound realy nice, I'm so Happy. Only in the end of the song Devils Food from Alice Cooper Weclome to my nightmare Album, the part where the speaker explain the Balck widow, there is a noise if he tell the "S". But for all the other things I really love those Headphone, for me Raccomended.
yamaha_rx_a880_focal_elear.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #9,715 of 12,302
I have my eye on the Cascades too... They are "all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble" though.... :laughing:

If you listen to that Ruby Hatchet and a few other psych rock tracks which pop up on the YouTube algorithm, there's no treble in those mixes!

I won the Cascades (paid too much for the Cascades); so they and the Sundara's should be with me within the week.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #9,718 of 12,302
Thanks for the response! Actually, expensive is fine! I've left my IEMs, players, phones and stuff out - don't recall ever having anything stolen. My area is out of line-of-sight for the most part inside.

Bring on the recommendations, :)

Are you only interested in recs for IEMs or Closed-Backs?

For something in your budget, used Focal Elears are probably the best option, for Metal, that I've heard yet. Obtainable for $400-500, alas, they are Open-Backs.

By far the best set of Closed-Back cans I've heard, in my demoing so far for Metal, are the ZMF Atticus. Obtainable for $800-1k, if they pop up used.

I've demoed with traditional heavy, prog metal, thrash and death. I find most black metal to be almost unlistenable with high-fidelity headphone options, it's just too much, so I leave that for the car audio mostly now lol. Although I'm currently listening to a "black metal" album on the Elears, as we speak, and it sounds awesome (Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue).

May 7, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #9,720 of 12,302

Users who are viewing this thread

Back