Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #9,511 of 12,302
Is AKG k712 Pro still good by today's standards for metal in the mid tier budget?
Eh,not really. Whats your actual budget?

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #9,513 of 12,302
Around 250euros, what do you suggest. considering I was getting the AKGs tomorrow
Well,if youre getting them tomorrow,get them and listen for yourself. Who knows,you might like them?

A lot of folks like the Meze 99 classics in that general price range.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #9,514 of 12,302
I listen to Black Metal mainly, and only recently got into Chi-Fi. I own a set of Yamaha HS80 monitors and subwoofer. For over-ears I have Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, Fostex T50RP MkII, and a pair of closed back Sennheisers. I had a set of KZ ZS6 that were painful on some recordings, and the ZS10 Pro came to me as a vast improvement until I realized that they have no high end whatsoever. This is particularly obvious on records with intricate cymbal work (Mgła's "Exercises... "comest mind), but it becomes unbearable on records with a drum machine (Destroyer 666's "Phoenix Rising"). The faux hi-hat completely disappears. I have an old cheap Creative Zen, and with the treble jacked up by 12db maybe things become as expected. The mid-range is also lacking, about the only good thing about these IEMs is the tight and fast bass. Any recommendations for a cheap and fun iem for Black Metal?

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #9,515 of 12,302
That new Darkthrone sounds ace though, guitars dominate, great work by Jack Control at Enormous Door...

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #9,516 of 12,302
I'm looking for some headphones to listen to mainly metal on my macbook pro.
Listen to bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Therion, Nightwish etc.
So something easy to drive, not too bass heavy.
I went to listen some headphones and the Shure 1540 was my favourite.
I'm doubting between these and the Focal Elex (off course i can't test them since it's massdrop exclusive)
Or is there something else ???
ps not a fan off Sennheiser sound, they sound to flimsy to me

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #9,519 of 12,302
I have not listened to the Atticus, but after owning the Odin, I cannot recommend it for Metal at all.

The highs are way to silent, on some songs you could barely hear the cymbals.
Without the Lawton Pads, the Odin also lacks too much subbass, which is quite unusual for planar magnetic headphones.
That leaves you with way too much mids, which results in an unnatural sound. (In the defence of the Odin it did sound nice on some acoustic songs)

Combined with the bad long term comfort it is not worth a 4 figure price tag. (Yes, I have played around a lot with different driver positions, different pads and reduced the clamping pressure but it still was not as comfortable than my modded HE-6 at the time)

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #9,520 of 12,302
I have not listened to the Atticus, but after owning the Odin, I cannot recommend it for Metal at all.

The highs are way to silent, on some songs you could barely hear the cymbals.
Without the Lawton Pads, the Odin also lacks too much subbass, which is quite unusual for planar magnetic headphones.
That leaves you with way too much mids, which results in an unnatural sound. (In the defence of the Odin it did sound nice on some acoustic songs)

Combined with the bad long term comfort it is not worth a 4 figure price tag. (Yes, I have played around a lot with different driver positions, different pads and reduced the clamping pressure but it still was not as comfortable than my modded HE-6 at the time)
Do you prefer the HE-6 compared to the Odin to listen to Metal?

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #9,521 of 12,302
Absolutely, the HE-6 is one of the best headphones for metal, but I am not sure if it is the right one for you, since the HE-6 is on the colder side of neutral and the ones you mentioned are warm sounding headphones.

But if you get a chance to listen to them (on a really powerful amp), definitely try them out.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #9,522 of 12,302
Absolutely, the HE-6 is one of the best headphones for metal, but I am not sure if it is the right one for you, since the HE-6 is on the colder side of neutral and the ones you mentioned are warm sounding headphones.

But if you get a chance to listen to them (on a really powerful amp), definitely try them out.
I had the HE-6 for awhile,and while I agree that it was very good for metal,saying that its on the "colder side" is an understatement IMO. The highs were quite sharp at times. When you factor in the insane amount of power needed to drive them,and the dodgy QC(had two drivers fail within a nine month period) I can no longer recommend them.

Im rocking the Verite closed for metal,and all other genres as well. For me,its the perfect end-game metal headphone.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #9,524 of 12,302
Hi everyone, does anyone have any opinions on Atticus vs. Aeolus vs. Verite for metal music? Which one did you think was the best for metal? I'm still leaning towards the Atticus at this point. Currently, I own the Focal Clear, Fostex TH600 and Kennerton Vali. Probably looking to sell the Vali though and get one of the ZMFs... Thanks.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #9,525 of 12,302
I haven't heard Verite (open or closed), but my guess is they may be where its at for faster metal. I have (and love) the Atticus for slower metal (great for most thrash, excellent for doom), but I feel like the driver just isn't fast enough for technical fast metal compared with planars. From descriptions on this site it sounds like the Verite driver is super fast and very dynamic and great for faster metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back