Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #9,481 of 12,302
Yep, but not at the same time, but I've liked the hifiMan stuff for a long while so I'm sure there is some Bias

Also...not to add another option, but the Focal Clear (used) or the Elex ($700 new)

Ehh I don't like used stuff. Maybe once I get more and more into Head-Fi (the hobby, not the forum xD) I will be more open to buying worn headphones.

I'm glad we narrowed it down to two headphones, things are looking good now. I swear though, if my amp/dac setup starts causing problems after I get the phones, I will tear my hair out hahaha

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #9,482 of 12,302
I really like the ZMF Atticus headphones...I love the Focal Clear. Those are both $1000 new, if you search the forums I bet you can get a way better deal. Once you get to the $1000 mark you get headphones you can buy and just be done with.

About the Focal Clears - is it true what they say, that their macrodynamics are literally twice as good as the next best headphone (at macrodynamics)?

Like, when a kick drum hits, does it crunch you so hard in the guts that you feel physically sick? And when a loud bit (in an otherwise quieter song) plays - does it feel like being smashed over the face with a metal baseball bat?

Those are the sort of universe-shatteringly extreme macrodynamics that people are hyping the Focals to have...?

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #9,483 of 12,302
About the Focal Clears - is it true what they say, that their macrodynamics are literally twice as good as the next best headphone (at macrodynamics)?

Like, when a kick drum hits, does it crunch you so hard in the guts that you feel physically sick? And when a loud bit (in an otherwise quieter song) plays - does it feel like being smashed over the face with a metal baseball bat?

Those are the sort of universe-shatteringly extreme macrodynamics that people are hyping the Focals to have...?

You mean macrodynamics as in the hearable range in terms of Hz and the finesse, their ability to play the soft stuff soft and the hard stuff hard? No way do they sound twice as good as the next best, but the range is stupid good, I haven't heard the Elex yet, but the Clear do have tons of dexterity and finesse when they need to, they also have more bass presence than all the other Focals.The Focals Clears are, to me, almost better than the Utopias. I know that's crazy, but the Clears have a bit more bass presence and I feel like they are just more exciting. That is a hugely subjective thing to say, but both of them have outrageous macrodynamics and the Clear are one of the best headphones in their price range...Also you can buy them used for $800 which is great.

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #9,484 of 12,302
You mean macrodynamics as in the hearable range in terms of Hz and the finesse, their ability to play the soft stuff soft and the hard stuff hard? No way do they sound twice as good as the next best, but the range is stupid good, I haven't heard the Elex yet, but the Clear do have tons of dexterity and finesse when they need to, they also have more bass presence than all the other Focals.The Focals Clears are, to me, almost better than the Utopias. I know that's crazy, but the Clears have a bit more bass presence and I feel like they are just more exciting. That is a hugely subjective thing to say, but both of them have outrageous macrodynamics and the Clear are one of the best headphones in their price range...Also you can buy them used for $800 which is great.

Yeah, macrodynamics mainly meaning the difference between loud and quiet notes. So if a band plays a more restrained verse and then explodes into a chorus, that chorus will obviously sound louder than the verse on a normal headphone, but on a high end Focal, it is so loud in comparison that you actually have to take the headphone off? As in, it's actually not enjoyable, it's just brutal?

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #9,485 of 12,302
Yeah, macrodynamics mainly meaning the difference between loud and quiet notes. So if a band plays a more restrained verse and then explodes into a chorus, that chorus will obviously sound louder than the verse on a normal headphone, but on a high end Focal, it is so loud in comparison that you actually have to take the headphone off? As in, it's actually not enjoyable, it's just brutal?

Nah, I don't think it's that extreme. The Elegia are supposed to be pretty thin (I haven't heard them though), but the Clear are really tolerable. I mean I also like me some highs, but they aren't really harsh IMO.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #9,486 of 12,302
Nah, I don't think it's that extreme. The Elegia are supposed to be pretty thin (I haven't heard them though), but the Clear are really tolerable. I mean I also like me some highs, but they aren't really harsh IMO.

I don't necessarily mean really harsh and dynamic highs, but also bass and sub-bass. So, if there's suddenly a really loud bass drop, it causes so much pressure build-up that you feel like your skull is going to be split open?

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,487 of 12,302
I don't necessarily mean really harsh and dynamic highs, but also bass and sub-bass. So, if there's suddenly a really loud bass drop, it causes so much pressure build-up that you feel like your skull is going to be split open?

Oh yeah, nope, nothing like that they are really even and clean. There really isn't much to fault about them unless you prefer a really warm sound or a ton of bass.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #9,488 of 12,302
Oh yeah, nope, nothing like that they are really even and clean. There really isn't much to fault about them unless you prefer a really warm sound or a ton of bass.

Nice. They sound an interesting prospect. What's the fit like on the Clears though? I hate loose-clamping headphones (HD650 is perfect for me) - can you bend your neck forwards so your nose is pointing at the floor without them slipping out of position (or off your head altogether)? Also, for reference, do you have a small, medium or large head?

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #9,489 of 12,302
i have the Atticus and the E-Mu teaks and have been watching this thread and listening to metal lately (Leviathan mostly but some old school Metallica too) and i have been preferring the Sendy Aiva. they have a little more bite where i want it.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #9,490 of 12,302
Nice. They sound an interesting prospect. What's the fit like on the Clears though? I hate loose-clamping headphones (HD650 is perfect for me) - can you bend your neck forwards so your nose is pointing at the floor without them slipping out of position (or off your head altogether)? Also, for reference, do you have a small, medium or large head?

They have a great fit, pretty snug you and light, you can bend over and they don't come off my head. I have a 'medium intermediate oval' head according to my motorcycle helmet.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #9,491 of 12,302
Are you sure you’re looking for headphones? There are a few other devices that are actually more efficient at splitting your skull open, making your ears brutally explode, and make you puke with a violent shock :skull_crossbones::skull_crossbones::skull_crossbones:
It’s like you‘re looking for grind death metal in headphone form.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #9,492 of 12,302
Are you sure you’re looking for headphones? There are a few other devices that are actually more efficient at splitting your skull open, making your ears brutally explode, and make you puke with a violent shock :skull_crossbones::skull_crossbones::skull_crossbones:
It’s like you‘re looking for grind death metal in headphone form.

Well, you get the idea - I've just heard that Focals are so technically advanced that they're unpleasant to listen to - not because they reveal the flaws in the recording, but because they reveal the FORCE behind the recording. Which seems to be especially pertinent with metal. In metal bands, the drummer wants to smash his sticks through your face with every snare hit and pound a gaping hole through your abdomen with every kick drum hit - and with high-end Focals it actually feels like he might just do that - and not everyone can handle it.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #9,493 of 12,302
Well, you get the idea - I've just heard that Focals are so technically advanced that they're unpleasant to listen to - not because they reveal the flaws in the recording, but because they reveal the FORCE behind the recording. Which seems to be especially pertinent with metal. In metal bands, the drummer wants to smash his sticks through your face with every snare hit and pound a gaping hole through your abdomen with every kick drum hit - and with high-end Focals it actually feels like he might just do that - and not everyone can handle it.

You must have read the most hyperbolic review out there, man. The Focals are solid for impact and macro dynamics, but they certainly aren’t the most impactful thing out there, much less “uncomfortable” to listen to. The stuff you’re saying is laughable if you’ve spent any actual time with the headphone.

Are the macro dynamics great? Yes.

Do they resemble anything you’re saying you’ve heard about them? No.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #9,494 of 12,302
Not to mention most death metal has such atrocious masterings that most of the dynamics sound like mud anyways.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,495 of 12,302
i have the Atticus and the E-Mu teaks and have been watching this thread and listening to metal lately (Leviathan mostly but some old school Metallica too) and i have been preferring the Sendy Aiva. they have a little more bite where i want it.
Could you elaborate on what makes the Aivas good for metal? I'm on the fence about them as I heard the bass is not very prominent and doesn't extend very well into the sub bass, do you have a different experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back