Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #9,466 of 12,302
I haven't heard the 6XX extensively, but from what I remember about both headphones I would say yes. I would also argue the Sennheiser 58X is better for metal than the 6XX.

My 6XX just feels so veiled and muted. Hopefully I'll have that "wow!" moment after I plug in the Teak and there is no veil hahaha

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #9,467 of 12,302
Hi, I have an HD6XX, Schiit Modi 3, and JDS Labs Atom. I pretty much listen exclusively to death and thrash metal, and I've noticed that the music lacks intensity with my setup. It feels veiled or muted, almost like I could almost reach out touch it but something is in the way. Solos also don't hit as hard and seem less present, riffs feel less aggressive etc.

Otherwise, the sound quality is pretty good, I can hear most of the nuances. I just need help figuring out the problem here in my configuration. This setup I have is pretty much considered the "starter" setup for people getting into HiFi today, which is why I have it.

I got hd6xx ... those headphone aren't the best choice for metal ... but they still can sound very good ... in my tests they can scale up a lot using an otl tube amp ...

With solid state ... you won't get anywhere with that headphone

So try to find an otl ... starting from little dot mk2

Or chenge headphone cheap solution is the hifiman he4xx should sound quite good with atom

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #9,468 of 12,302
I got hd6xx ... those headphone aren't the best choice for metal ... but they still can sound very good ... in my tests they can scale up a lot using an otl tube amp ...

With solid state ... you won't get anywhere with that headphone

So try to find an otl ... starting from little dot mk2

Or chenge headphone cheap solution is the hifiman he4xx should sound quite good with atom

I would definitely like to upgrade the headphone before the amp. Just wish there was a way to test them so I'm not buying blindly

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #9,469 of 12,302
I would definitely like to upgrade the headphone before the amp. Just wish there was a way to test them so I'm not buying blindly

I'd get a list together of the possibilities, read about them and pick one of the least divisive ones. I wouldn't get a pair of Grados first unless you know you like them, because a lot of people including me, find them a bit too intense. If you pull the trigger of a pair you can get them used here for a good price, or get them on Amazon. If you get them on Amazon you can return them if you absolutely hate them, you won't get flagged for returning one pair, just don't use Amazon as a way of demoing things.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #9,470 of 12,302
I'd get a list together of the possibilities, read about them and pick one of the least divisive ones. I wouldn't get a pair of Grados first unless you know you like them, because a lot of people including me, find them a bit too intense. If you pull the trigger of a pair you can get them used here for a good price, or get them on Amazon. If you get them on Amazon you can return them if you absolutely hate them, you won't get flagged for returning one pair, just don't use Amazon as a way of demoing things.

So far I only have the Teak written down. What Grados do you think I should try from amazon, and how do they compare to the Teak?

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,471 of 12,302
I donno about the Grados, I find them uncomfortable and really hard to listen to for a long time so I don't own a pair...people love them though and they are a great company, you just need someone with more Grado knowledge to guide you. I also don't know a lot about the E-MU Teaks, but I'd not get a closed-back unless you need it so other people don't hear you. Open-backed headphones are way way better in general.

I really like the ZMF Atticus headphones...I love the Focal Clear. Those are both $1000 new, if you search the forums I bet you can get a way better deal. Once you get to the $1000 mark you get headphones you can buy and just be done with.

Also the HD700 should be way cheaper than either and those may be pretty good

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #9,472 of 12,302
I donno about the Grados, I find them uncomfortable and really hard to listen to for a long time so I don't own a pair...people love them though and they are a great company, you just need someone with more Grado knowledge to guide you. I also don't know a lot about the E-MU Teaks, but I'd not get a closed-back unless you need it so other people don't hear you. Open-backed headphones are way way better in general.

I really like the ZMF Atticus headphones...I love the Focal Clear. Those are both $1000 new, if you search the forums I bet you can get a way better deal. Once you get to the $1000 mark you get headphones you can buy and just be done with.

Also the HD700 should be way cheaper than either and those may be pretty good

Budget is like $400, and yes open backs are definitely better. I have no reason for needing a closed back. Welp I guess the Teak is off the list now lol.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #9,473 of 12,302
Take a look through the classifieds and ask people about some Grados. If loud treble bothers you, I'd take the HD700s off the list, sorry here I am telling you to get a non-divisive headphone and recommending that.

Oh snap, HiFiMan HE400i, boom! Get that and be done with it, I totally forgot about that one. Does anyone here use that for metal regularly and can vouch?

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #9,474 of 12,302
Budget is like $400, and yes open backs are definitely better. I have no reason for needing a closed back. Welp I guess the Teak is off the list now lol.

The teaks will probably make you happier than Grados. Grados definitely don't have the veil, but are pretty short on comfort, lack bass extension and can be a bit fatiguing. I do enjoy them from time-to-time, but I'd rather have a pair of teaks, if I'm choosing between the two.

You may also want to consider the Hifiman Sundara in that price range. It's very crisp and refined in that price bracket. I haven't heard the Audeze LCD-1 yet, but the early feedback is that is also outrageously good for the price.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #9,475 of 12,302
Take a look through the classifieds and ask people about some Grados. If loud treble bothers you, I'd take the HD700s off the list, sorry here I am telling you to get a non-divisive headphone and recommending that.

Oh snap, HiFiMan HE400i, boom! Get that and be done with it, I totally forgot about that one. Does anyone here use that for metal regularly and can vouch?

It's solid. Sundara is better and can be acquired within his target price range, so I'd go that way instead.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #9,476 of 12,302
Yeah that's a really good call @Hansotek, I think those are your best bet. You need some bass presence for most metal genres and to me the Grados are clear, but thin. HifiMan I always forget exists, but their products are awesome.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #9,477 of 12,302
@Hansotek @ceeloChamp Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies! Right now, it's currently down to the Hifiman Sundara and the Audeeze LCD-1 doing some research now on both.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #9,478 of 12,302
I’d probably not get the LCD-1 unless you really need to carry them with you. It’s just not as good

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #9,479 of 12,302
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #9,480 of 12,302
Yep, but not at the same time, but I've liked the hifiMan stuff for a long while so I'm sure there is some Bias

Also...not to add another option, but the Focal Clear (used) or the Elex ($700 new)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back