Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #9,151 of 12,315
AKGs are grandpa headphones!! And this is coming from someone who owned a pair of K701s for a long time, and amped them with an MPX3, doesn't get much ballsier :wink: Since when do metalheads worry about comfort?? Pff.

SR325is are not slow at all! Other standard model Grados are slower, but the 325is rivaled my old Sony MDR-SA5k, and those were FAST.

If you're a metalhead the 325i is the pair you need!

I owned the 325e and the 60e at the same time, modded a bit with MS2 cups and leather headband. Honestly, I preferred the 60e. More bass, warmer overall. The differences were pretty minimal to justify the cost of the 325. Also liked the 60e more than the 80e.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #9,152 of 12,315
This headphone... That headphone... what you need for metal is ultra clean ultra revealing hardware and measured room impulse response based hrtf binaural convolution with a tactile transducer system.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #9,153 of 12,315
So what's a decent headphone for under £500 open or closed to be amped by a fiio q5

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #9,154 of 12,315
AKGs are grandpa headphones!! And this is coming from someone who owned a pair of K701s for a long time, and amped them with an MPX3, doesn't get much ballsier :wink: Since when do metalheads worry about comfort?? Pff.

SR325is are not slow at all! Other standard model Grados are slower, but the 325is rivaled my old Sony MDR-SA5k, and those were FAST.

If you're a metalhead the 325i is the pair you need!
Well if you talk about the 325i I agree because I didn't like to listen metal with SR80e while AKG 712pro are just amazing

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #9,156 of 12,315
I owned the 325e and the 60e at the same time, modded a bit with MS2 cups and leather headband. Honestly, I preferred the 60e. More bass, warmer overall. The differences were pretty minimal to justify the cost of the 325. Also liked the 60e more than the 80e.

Sounds like you just need proper amplification :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #9,158 of 12,315
hmm, I have the grace m9xx, is that not proper amplification? I just kept switching back and forth and the differences were so minimal. 325e had more treble, 60e had more bass.

I can't speak for your ears or gear I've never heard myself, but I've heard both the 60e and 325e and there's a world of difference between the two in my opinion.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #9,159 of 12,315
Hi guys finally i was able to test my auteur with an otl amp , a good hand made in italy :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-estroarmonico-otl-signature-headphone-amplifier.785927/

from the violectric v281 it took a good step up , also it was a new unit that i had tested for a week so no burn in ...

yes the auteur get a very good improving in sound using a quality otl amp . So i decided to buy that amp ... my one will be ready in 10 - 15 days...

strangerly also lcd2 and susvara (expecially susvara) sounded quite good from that amp ... prefering susvara from this otl than v281 (i listen usually at low volum levels .. 60 , 65 db)

all were more detailed smooth ... and musical and emotional ... deeper and punchier bass better dynamics ...

My favourite sub genere is Power and Epic metal ... but this otl sounded better with everything i tested...

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #9,160 of 12,315
*emerges from the shadows*
Any thoughts on the Meze Empyrean?

A friend of mine keeps boasting that they're far and above better than their old LCD-4 — which they thought extremely highly of since their release now. Does this spill over into metal though? That's the real question.

Everything I was saving up for miraculously increased in price and I've become fed up with saving up for it. Somehow owning multiple thousand dollar pairs of headphones seems less absurd compared to some of my other hobbies again.

Here ya go...my take on the Empyrean vs. Verite

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #9,165 of 12,315
I tested Focal Clear, they'd work fairly well for Metal. I'd recommend Alara or Sundara as well tho... :)
I've had success with a decent range of Metal music on my Focal Clear Pro's, however from my memory, one of my favorite for Metal + Speed + Midbass for Metal was the Hifiman HE-500. Generally, I never pick up my HD800s for Metal, however, call me crazy but I've always enjoyed my ÆON Flow Closed, they seem to have a lot of speed and scale well with a good amp, DAC and source. I have an old pair of MS2's (325si), and at times I will throw those on for a good time, but they fatigue after about an hour or two. It's always a battle what gives first, the pads or the Grado house sound fatigue; they don't scale like other headphone's, one could see it as a pro or con.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back