Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 4, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #8,461 of 12,322
I’d go with the AFO and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. IMO, the Black Label is better than all of the Schitt stuff until you get up to Mjolnir 2. Jotunheim gets up to snuff with it on the amp level, but the onboard DAC is trash, so if you need a DAC, you’re probably on the hook for something in the $600 neighborhood to get to that level, so Jot + DAC probably gets in the neighborhood of $1K to truly beat the iDSD BL. Alternatively, Mimby + Jotunheim + AFO (which is slightly over budget w/o a big sonic gain for AFO) or the Chord Mojo are healthy alternatives.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Thanks for the advice. And that is exactly what I ended up with: AFO + iDSD BL. Just arrived at my office. Now I just gotta get through the next 10hrs of work & commitments, before I can play with my new babies! They are staring at me, looking so eager, "We wanna play Strapping Young Lab: City, please can we? What about that new Black Label Society you haven't even heard yet? Please play us now!" :L3000:

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #8,462 of 12,322
So I just recently bought a Hugo 2 and I love it, but every time I try to use it with the tidal desktop app for Windows 10 my pc crashes and resets. It works fine with tidal on my galaxy s8 and with jriver. Has anyone else had this problem? And any advice on how to fix it?..also I didn't know where else to post this as I couldn't find a Hugo 2 forum on the site and I know @Hansotek is pretty familiar with the Hugo 2

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #8,463 of 12,322
Ok so apparently it works as long as I don't choose to use it in exclusive mode on tidal however it doesn't sound correct (bright and full of static) and it also displays it as playing at 96khz despite only playing cd quality audio. As soon as I put it back Into exclusive mode I got a loud buzz and my pc crashed.

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #8,464 of 12,322
Ok so apparently it works as long as I don't choose to use it in exclusive mode on tidal however it doesn't sound correct (bright and full of static) and it also displays it as playing at 96khz despite only playing cd quality audio. As soon as I put it back Into exclusive mode I got a loud buzz and my pc crashed.

I would ask over here

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #8,466 of 12,322

I primarily listen on my MacBook, but let me ping one or two of my pc using buddies to see if they have had similar issues and know of a fix.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #8,468 of 12,322
So I just recently bought a Hugo 2 and I love it, but every time I try to use it with the tidal desktop app for Windows 10 my pc crashes and resets. It works fine with tidal on my galaxy s8 and with jriver. Has anyone else had this problem? And any advice on how to fix it?..also I didn't know where else to post this as I couldn't find a Hugo 2 forum on the site and I know @Hansotek is pretty familiar with the Hugo 2

Your computer is crashing because you have installed the standard Windows 10 driver. I'm pretty sure that you have installed the Creators update (build 1709) on your computer so you need the driver for Windows 10 Creators.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Windows10_Creators_Driver768kHz.zip

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #8,469 of 12,322
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #8,473 of 12,322
Yes the Atticus and the Hugo 2 is a match made in heaven. Are you still selling your Atticus ?
I have them up for sale but I'm not 100% sure yet on the one hand I love how the atticus sounds but on the other hand I find them to be uncomfortable and they leak sound more then I'd like....I haven't bumped them in the for sale forum in quite awhile though.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #8,474 of 12,322
I have them up for sale but I'm not 100% sure yet on the one hand I love how the atticus sounds but on the other hand I find them to be uncomfortable and they leak sound more then I'd like....I haven't bumped them in the for sale forum in quite awhile though.

Ah it's a shame.

I see that you have the Focal Clear in your signature, do you like them with Metal ? I have heard that they are a little bit shouty in the upper mids with Metal music ?

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #8,475 of 12,322
Ah it's a shame.

I see that you have the Focal Clear in your signature, do you like them with Metal ? I have heard that they are a little bit shouty in the upper mids with Metal music ?
I'm not a huge fan of the clears for metal, they're not bad for metal just not a top choice imo. I mostly listen to rock and classic rock with them. They sound fantastic with rock vocals and non aggressive guitar. They really shine with acoustic tracks but I don't listen to acoustic music to often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back