Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 13, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #8,161 of 12,315
Vintage receivers fail from time to time after 50+ years of service,and most issues can be remedied for under 200.00 usd.

After two driver failures in a single year,on a brand new pair I felt compelled to sell my HE-6 before the warranty expired.I am absolutely bitter about my HE-6 experience.Based upon sound alone it was amazing,and I know that to get into the same class of sound several thousand more dollars were needed to get there.Cant afford that,so im out of luck....

If anything the receiver part of the vintage gear+HE-6 equation is the most reliable part.

Ironic.

Your HE-6 experience has certainly steered me away from being very inclined to recommend it again. That and the lack of availability. Fortunately, @zach915m kinda solved the problem by making a headphone that sounds better out of the box, without all the hassle.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #8,162 of 12,315
Ah, thanks! I'm goal oriented and want to set myself up for success. No goals = no success.

So far, the most expensive pair I have been allowed to purchase is the Mr. Speaker Alpha Dogs. I still need to demo them more, I just have no time to listen to headphones. All I get is my IEM's riding my motorcyle to work.

Someday, someday I will be old and retired (again)...

I dunno, man. The AD's are close to perfect across different types of metal, even more so the Primes, in my (not so) humble opinion. Darn good headphones, especially at current used prices, from what I've seen...

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #8,164 of 12,315
Symphones V8 build with Keces S3 Amp / DAC + Metal (in this case Underoath) = Sonic Bliss

These V8 drivers are superb, very crisp but with excellent deep and impactful bass and a wider than usual grado soundstage.

IMG_20171115_180402-01.jpeg

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #8,165 of 12,315
Those look like Zebrawood cups...How do they compare to V4 Magnum drivers?

Symphones V8 build with Keces S3 Amp / DAC + Metal (in this case Underoath) = Sonic Bliss

These V8 drivers are superb, very crisp but with excellent deep and impactful bass and a wider than usual grado soundstage.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #8,166 of 12,315
Those look like Zebrawood cups...How do they compare to V4 Magnum drivers?

Spalted tamarind actually :D never heard the V4 unfortunately, only the V8's but I really like them. So much better than the SR60e drivers I was using before.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #8,167 of 12,315
20597098_10155895402655288_1499085249453837997_n.jpg

My pair of V4s in Zebrawood...sold them awhile back.My dwarf ears dont like being pinned against my skull by Grados unfortunately.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #8,169 of 12,315
Hey, @Hansotek, how's it going? Do you still recommend the isine 20? I'm thinking about picking up one on sale.

I still do, and I just bought one for myself!!

https://www.audeze.com/promotional-products/black-friday-2017

If you’re an iPhone guy, I’d definitely grab the lightning cable version ($279), because they have some cool DSP/EQ options with their app.

Really one of the best IEMs for metal at any price, and at $249/$279, they are a no brainer. The only caveat being that a few people have fit issues with them (I personally do not), but there is a 10 day return window, which is more than enough time to figure that out.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #8,170 of 12,315
How is sony MDR Z1R's for metal.. coz i just bought one :D 999€ on sale, just couldnt resist... rest of my stuff @ sig.

i dont think my setup suits very well for the Z1R's, so also asking recommendations for DAC/AMP combo around 500€, maybe some audio gd? always wanted to try!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8,171 of 12,315
Hey guys,
Does anybody have first page table in xls format?
It's really hard to compare 2 headphones in a picture.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #8,172 of 12,315
Obviously I have this table in Excel ) For long also have through about transfer to some Web platform with proper data crunching abilities (filter, search, comparison etc), but, alas, no time to make it true.
So, in reality. To post it in Excel - no option. Probably I could copy it to Google spreadsheet or if someone have better ideas - welcome.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #8,173 of 12,315
Going to chime in on some cheaper stuff,

Putting together a nice little 7 headphone >$100 shoot out, tonight I'm listening to the Eagles and Metallica, most of the headphones I've been listening to are... similar but different, though the first pair tonight to stand out with Metallica in particular was the Sennhesier HD 280 Pro, the have this super visceral but dry bass, kick drums REALLY SLAM, there's a TON of emphasis on the attack the leading edge down low with a serious lack of decay and naturalness, more or less it's almost like the bass on these is attacking your face... and the mid range has a nice tactility to it!

All in all, for being a "balanced" recommendation... these don't cut it... I'm also amazed that these are Senhessiers... though they do remind me a bit of the HD 25-1 ii, non the less if your looking for a GOOD closed back can under $100 for mostly Metal... I'd feel pretty confident the HD 280 Pro would leave you a happy listener! Good central mid range body and sweetness, a bit thin in the low mids but super aggressive in the bass and lows with SCREAMING Upper mid-range and a fairly mild top end... certainly not what I was expecting from these!!

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #8,174 of 12,315
Hi levap, a question on the latest updatded table and denon d7200 results.

On the headphones i listened often i agree with your scores ... But in that case i found it quiet strange...

I had the 7200 a long time before looking to the table... Also i listened to fostex 900 and i also have the he6 for comparisons.

My description of the denon 7200 is more similar to the utopia score that is the row below the 7200...

I found it great on power metal (a genere that i listen a lot) and not so great on threash metal for example ... It miss a little of speed ... Expecially if comparad to the "queen" he6...

Also utopia (i do not listen at it) has a lot of "red mark" but it is not marked as best buy while the d7200 is best buy and has much more less red scores than the utopia...

Is there some mistakes ?

In my listening comparisonwith the fostex th900 i didn't find a so much big difference with the d7200...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back