Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 17, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #7,111 of 12,293
We use Tidal a lot, so MQA is useful for us, whereas it's not so much for most people.

Is the Meridian2 a good enough DAC on its own? I have a Schiit Modi Multibit at the moment (Mimby), which is considered a great bang-for-the-buck DAC. Is it close enough in performance at least for Tidal, that I can sell my Mimby?

Sorry to tax your mind so.

I haven't listened to MiMby in a while, TBH, so I can't provide a very useful comparison. It's decent on its own, nothing exceptional, but a good value at $199.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #7,112 of 12,293
So, I would like to get a new amp, in the 1k range, with balanced output, preferably. I was reading nice things about the Cayin iHA-6 or maybe the Audio-gd NFB-1AMP.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #7,113 of 12,293
So, I would like to get a new amp, in the 1k range, with balanced output, preferably. I was reading nice things about the Cayin iHA-6 or maybe the Audio-gd NFB-1AMP.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Which headphones will you be powering?

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #7,115 of 12,293
I keep seeing recommendations for grado 225 for metal music. Is this still the case or would my money be better spent elsewhere?
I like classic, black death and all metal in general.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7,116 of 12,293
I had a good look at the Grados as I listen to similar genres, they have good write ups everywhere. Shuto77 recommended Meze99 classics with a dragonfly black amp for cellphone use.....

I would like to know if anyone else has more input to bring out the best for metal?

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #7,117 of 12,293
I had a good look at the Grados as I listen to similar genres, they have good write ups everywhere. Shuto77 recommended Meze99 classics with a dragonfly black amp for cellphone use.....

I would like to know if anyone else has more input to bring out the best for metal?

@hansotek and @YtseJamer are also quite knowledgeable.

I also like the Focal Listen, which is only £165, as of a couple days ago.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #7,119 of 12,293
Oppo PM-1 sounds awesome with metal! Especially rough metal / deathcore / death metal / grind. 

I agree it's good for some types, it's well-made and very comfortable. However, I'm not a big fan of its treble. I haven't looked at measurements, but it lacks extension and sparkle. For $1000, it's nothing special. The Pm-2 (which is identical sound-wise, depending on pads), which I picked up used for about $500, is a better value, but I look at them as a very good "jack of all trades, master of none." I do like the bass slam, though. That's very, very good.

Just my 2¢

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #7,121 of 12,293
I agree it's good for some types, it's well-made and very comfortable. However, I'm not a big fan of its treble. I haven't looked at measurements, but it lacks extension and sparkle. For $1000, it's nothing special. The Pm-2 (which is identical sound-wise, depending on pads), which I picked up used for about $500, is a better value, but I look at them as a very good "jack of all trades, master of none." I do like the bass slam, though. That's very, very good.

Just my 2¢

Hm... That is kinda true. 

They were still interesting for their mids! 

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #7,123 of 12,293
So in your opinion are the focal listen better for my needs than any grados of a similar price?

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #7,124 of 12,293
So in your opinion are the focal listen better for my needs than any grados of a similar price?

Grados are hard to recommend because so many love them,and so many hate them,and there doesnt seem to be much gray area.

Have you ever tried any Grado headphone?

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #7,125 of 12,293

I haven't heard any Grados, but I think the Focals are a safe choice - they are solid all around without any obvious weaknesses, IMHO. My only knock on them is comfort, but that is hit or miss with most portable headphones, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back