Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7,081 of 12,293
Hi, those Fostex can's look exquisite for £350(?), as do the Meze.

Could do with closed back cans, but it is not essential, sound quality is the only concern. My budget is around £300 for the cans, obviously if I can gain as good sound quality for less that would be brilliant! Otherwise I will go higher for my end goal.

Don't have any amplification yet, this is my first stop.

I'm favourite artists are Type O and KoRn... to give you an idea of my preferred sound... more bass punch and mids!

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #7,082 of 12,293
Hi, those Fostex can's look exquisite for £350(?), as do the Meze.

Could do with closed back cans, but it is not essential, sound quality is the only concern. My budget is around £300 for the cans, obviously if I can gain as good sound quality for less that would be brilliant! Otherwise I will go higher for my end goal.

Don't have any amplification yet, this is my first stop.

I'm favourite artists are Type O and KoRn... to give you an idea of my preferred sound... more bass punch and mids!

You want to get yourself a little USB DAC dongle, such as a DragonFly Black ($100) or Red ($200). Not sure how much they run in the UK. That will make a huge difference vs your laptop's sound. If you can get the Mezes and the DragonFly Black in your price range, I think you will be very happy.

Also, don't be afraid to buy second-hand on the classifieds or eBay, you may surprised the kinds of deals you can get!

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7,084 of 12,293
You want to get yourself a little USB DAC dongle, such as a DragonFly Black ($100) or Red ($200). Not sure how much they run in the UK. That will make a huge difference vs your laptop's sound. If you can get the Mezes and the DragonFly Black in your price range, I think you will be very happy.

Also, don't be afraid to buy second-hand on the classifieds or eBay, you may surprised the kinds of deals you can get!

Fab, is it worth skipping a hi res player such as a fiio or the Astell & Kern jr and just using the cans with the dragonfly amd smartphone?

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7,085 of 12,293
Fab, is it worth skipping a hi res player such as a fiio or the Astell & Kern jr and just using the cans with the dragonfly amd smartphone?

I personally wouldn't get a DAP that doesn't connect to the Internet for Spotify or Tidal, because I stream a lot of music now. You can connect a Dragonfly to a laptop or mobile, so it's a nifty device.

But it depends on your priorities. The AK Jr is a fine player from what I've read.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,088 of 12,293
Hey, @Hansotek, or anyone else here: Have you heard the new iBasso IT03? I just picked one up, and I enjoy it.

The RHA T20 didn't fit me as well.

I have not. Bummer about the RHA.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #7,090 of 12,293
No worries. the IT03 are of similar quality. 

This weekend, I'm going to pit my EMU Teaks vs my ZMF Ori Blackwoods to see if I need to keep the Oris. 

Stand by for results...

Sweet. That should be fun. I'm jamming on the new 1More Quad Drivers right now and definitely liking what I'm hearing, especially for $199.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #7,092 of 12,293
LCD-4 is going out the door tomorrow.

Aeon is too far out (too long to wait).
Ether C/C Flow won't be worth the price difference to me.
Alpha Prime — idk.
Eikon — couple different folks interested in selling me their pair, but not until next week at the soonest. At least at the moment.
E-Mu Teak with detachable cables — none on the classifieds.
Z1R — doubt it's worth the price difference over the Eikon. For the right price though...
HE560 — affordable fallback plan.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7,093 of 12,293

Alpha Prime — idk.
Eikon — couple different folks interested in selling me their pair, but not until next week at the soonest. At least at the moment.
Z1R — doubt it's worth the price difference over the Eikon. For the right price though...

Thoughts or suggestions?

he560! or ether c (non flow)

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #7,094 of 12,293

Alpha Prime — idk.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like you prefer a more neutral sounding headphone to a "fun" one....If thats an accurate statement then Id be very tempted to wait for the Aeon.I cant say I heard it with metal,but I did hear it three different times,from three different rigs and the sound,especially for the price,was incredibly tempting.

I prefer a musical headphone,something that gets my head and foot going,coloration be damned...so im grabbing the Atticus next,but the Aeon would be next in line...it sounds that good,and so comfy...and I really dont even like closed backs either.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #7,095 of 12,293
Looks like you prefer a more neutral sounding headphone to a "fun" one....If thats an accurate statement then Id be very tempted to wait for the Aeon.I cant say I heard it with metal,but I did hear it three different times,from three different rigs and the sound,especially for the price,was incredibly tempting.

I prefer a musical headphone,something that gets my head and foot going,coloration be damned...so im grabbing the Atticus next,but the Aeon would be next in line...it sounds that good,and so comfy...and I really dont even like closed backs either.
Fun is fine. I'd grab another HE500 in a 560 housing, but I doubt I'll find another. 560's aren't hard to find. Pretty cheap too.

The amp I was looking to downscale to is on the warmer side. Not sure if something like an Atticus would be too warm. The Ori or LCD-2/3/X probably would be. Nightowl definitely will be.

I'm considering all of these semi to fully closed ideas as I'm actually looking into moving. I don't think my environment will be as large as this home. Maybe even end up in an apartment and quite frankly that could be much louder than what's going on here. Might have to just keep all of the audio stuff in the bedroom with the PC as well. Isolation may be more important than before for these reasons.

Lots of unknowns.

Don't wanna buy an Atticus and then realize I should've gone for an Eikon. Lol. I think the Eikon should be more flexible which is more appealing considering the price difference.

Edit: my ForzaAudioWorks Noir hybrid HPC uses Audeze/ZMF connectors, so that's swaying me more towards those options over anything by Mrspeakers.

Why can't everyone use switchcraft mini 4-pin XLR...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Hofy
Back