Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #7,068 of 12,293
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #7,070 of 12,293
That thing ain't metal enough for this thread.

I have eclectic taste in many things,including cars....I'd take a '55 Ford Woody over just about any car made today

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #7,071 of 12,293
So many classifieds.
what am I thinking?!

Recommendations for downscaling my setup? Thinking either the Eikon or E-mu Teak with a wimpy-ish lesser dac/amp. Maybe a LP DAC RS 06 + Matrix HPA-3B or Cavalli Liquid Carbon? Like taking a step down from TOTL/summit-fi, but still staying in the higher end of the hardware spectrum.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #7,072 of 12,293
So many classifieds.
what am I thinking?!

Recommendations for downscaling my setup? Thinking either the Eikon or E-mu Teak with a wimpy-ish lesser dac/amp. Maybe a LP DAC RS 06 + Matrix HPA-3B or Cavalli Liquid Carbon? Like taking a step down from TOTL/summit-fi, but still staying in the higher end of the hardware spectrum.

I just picked up an EMU Teak, I'll have impressions of it with my Schiit Jotunheim soon.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #7,073 of 12,293
Was outbid on a pair of MP Sextetts last weekend by $1.55. The search continues!

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #7,074 of 12,293
  Was outbid on a pair of MP Sextetts last weekend by $1.55. The search continues!

I placed a WTB ad here on Head-Fi for my EPs...got a response in less than 24 hours....

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #7,075 of 12,293
So many classifieds.
what am I thinking?!

I just went with a Jotunheim (amp only) and a Modi Multibit. In total, it ran me $530. My only problem with this setup is that the Modi doesn't have balanced outputs, so I'll have to upgrade it to see what all the fuss is about. Tihs won't be a problem as Schiit gear holds its value very well. 

For the price, this is a great setup. My ZMF Ori Blackwoods sound awesome, and extra treble detail of the Jot makes the Oris a little brighter, a huge bonus as they were originally a bit too dark for me.

Let us know what you end up doing! 

I also see that someone is selling an Atticus in the Cherry color for $800 in the classifieds. I'm going to give the Ori a chance with my new setup before selling it and moving up. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #7,076 of 12,293

I also see that someone is selling an Atticus in the Cherry color for $800 in the classifieds. I'm going to give the Ori a chance with my new setup before selling it and moving up. 

If I didnt already have a gentleman's agreement in place with Zach,Id jump on that in a heartbeat. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #7,077 of 12,293
  I placed a WTB ad here on Head-Fi for my EPs...got a response in less than 24 hours....

Might have to try that. Would actually prefer to buy off of head fi anyway. Thanks!

Also, you seem rather versed with the Sextetts so I'll ask you. I saw one posted on Ebay that was EP. All the drivers were red, except one was white. Do you think they had just replaced one of the drivers?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #7,078 of 12,293

Might have to try that. Would actually prefer to buy off of head fi anyway. Thanks!

Also, you seem rather versed with the Sextetts so I'll ask you. I saw one posted on Ebay that was EP. All the drivers were red, except one was white. Do you think they had just replaced one of the drivers?

Theyre not the "drivers",rather passive tuned radiators...Yeah it sounds like an EP that had issues and somebody did a DIY on it...I would steer clear of something like that personally,but im not very tech savvy,so YMMV. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #7,079 of 12,293
Hi guys sorry to cut in....

Anybody have experience with Denon AH-MM400? My set up at the minute is cellphone+RHA MA750's. Looking for a beefier rig with full sized cans (open or closed) and maybe an A&K hr?

Help very much appreciated guys :) p.s +- £300 for cans

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #7,080 of 12,293
Hi guys sorry to cut in....

Anybody have experience with Denon AH-MM400? My set up at the minute is cellphone+RHA MA750's. Looking for a beefier rig with full sized cans (open or closed) and maybe an A&K hr?

Help very much appreciated guys
smily_headphones1.gif
p.s +- £300 for cans

Hey, welcome!

Is £300 your budget just for cans, or for an amp as well? Do you need open or closed? If you're getting an amp later, you need something that's easy to drive. A couple good ones to look at, that are all pretty easy to drive:

1) Meze 99 Classics
2) Focal Listen - Best bang for the buck at $250 USD.
3) Oppo PM-3
4) Beyerdynamic DT-1770
5) Fostex TH-X00
6) Audeze Sine (not sure how expensive these ar in the UK)

These are all closed-back cans. Do you need isolation?

For that price, we would agree you can do much better than the Denon. I'm sure it's a good headphone for some genres, but due to the speed of metal, there are certain factors we look for in picking out headphones that are a good fit. 

That's why a lot of "mainstream" cans may be good overall, but not good for metal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back