Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6,721 of 12,302
Thanks for the information.

Good to know. I'm going to have to make the step up to a big-boy amp at this point. I've read that it's best to stay away from warm amps with the Ori, since it's already on the bassy side.

Do you think think the Liquid Carbon would be a good match? $500 is about as much as I can justify for an amp.

Have you considered FiiO X5 series or iDSD? FiiO X5ii works very well with Metal and it is a DAP, while iDSD also works well with metal in my experience // 

Edit::: @jmills8 Says that FiiO 5-3 works really well with metal! 

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #6,722 of 12,302
LOL!

How would you cpmare the Aeon with Focal Elear? Say if I wanted large soundstage. 

The soundstage is wider on the ÆON. I feel like the Elear is more intimate and dense, but not necessarily small. Not sure how they compare in terms of total depth... Elear may have more accurate depth layering. ÆON is quite spacious though, and on some tracks it feels very large, so that would be my pick for soundstage.

Stillhart may want to weigh-in here, as he probably has had more time with both of them.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #6,723 of 12,302
Have you considered FiiO X5 series or iDSD? FiiO X5ii works very well with Metal and it is a DAP, while iDSD also works well with metal in my experience // 

Edit::: @jmills8
 Says that FiiO 5-3 works really well with metal! 

I just sold my idsd micro (silver). It was a weird not quite portable size that didn't work for me. It did sound good, however.

I'm currently using a Dragonfly Red, and it's great for half the price.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #6,724 of 12,302

Good to know. I'm going to have to make the step up to a big-boy amp at this point. I've read that it's best to stay away from warm amps with the Ori, since it's already on the bassy side.

Do you think think the Liquid Carbon would be a good match? $500 is about as much as I can justify for an amp.

I sold my LC before I got the Ori, but I know lots of people like that combo a lot.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #6,725 of 12,302
I just sold my idsd micro (silver). It was a weird not quite portable size that didn't work for me. It did sound good, however.

I'm currently using a Dragonfly Red, and it's great for half the price.

Isn't it? I really like the DragonFly Red for $200.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #6,726 of 12,302

The LC pairs very well with the Omni.  I used them together for quite some time and had no issues.  However I did later upgrade to the Liquid Crimson and I was shocked at how well the Omni scaled.  I honestly wasn't expecting it from a T50 mod.  In fact, I stopped using my HE-560 after I got the Crimson because they didn't scale up and I could hear the weaknesses in the headphone that I'd never noticed before.  The Omni performed better than the 560.

So yeah, the LC+Omni is a very good combo.  But it gets even better if you decide to upgrade the amp later.

The soundstage is wider on the ÆON. I feel like the Elear is more intimate and dense, but not necessarily small. Not sure how they compare in terms of total depth... Elear may have more accurate depth layering. ÆON is quite spacious though, and on some tracks it feels very large, so that would be my pick for soundstage.

@Stillhart may want to weigh-in here, as he probably has had more time with both of them.

It's been a while since I had the Elear but yeah, I think soundstage is one of the main criticisms people have of the Elear and Utopia.  They're not small but they're not particularly big either.  They image really well so you kinda notice the small stage more, if that makes sense.

The AEON has the same MrSpeakers magic that makes the Ether C sound huge even though it's closed.  I don't recall it being really massive, but it never felt like a small closed-headphone stage either.  I'd say the AEON probably edges out the Elear but I wouldn't call either big.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #6,727 of 12,302
@Hansotek, looking for a recommendation. If one had a budget of $2-$3,000 with a goal of an open back headphone with a DAC and AMP to go along with it that produce awesome impact/slam with clear and detailed bass and mids, but slightly shelved treble (the kind that makes old metal albums still sound alright, for someone with mild tinnitus), what would you recommend? I still enjoy my LCD-2, but after my last repair I have zero faith in them and the newest drivers sound wonky with the low compliance and some of the impact and depth feels lost. I'm also tired of how the Asgard 2 is like a space heater on my work desk. Considering finally selling my desktop headphone stuff and changing it up. Still very happy with my DX80 and PM-3. Mostly listening to technical/brutal death metal and sludge/stoner/doom metal.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,728 of 12,302
  @Hansotek, looking for a recommendation. If one had a budget of $2-$3,000 with a goal of an open back headphone with a DAC and AMP to go along with it that produce awesome impact/slam with clear and detailed bass and mids, but slightly shelved treble (the kind that makes old metal albums still sound alright, for someone with mild tinnitus), what would you recommend? I still enjoy my LCD-2, but after my last repair I have zero faith in them and the newest drivers sound wonky with the low compliance and some of the impact and depth feels lost. I'm also tired of how the Asgard 2 is like a space heater on my work desk. Considering finally selling my desktop headphone stuff and changing it up. Still very happy with my DX80 and PM-3. Mostly listening to technical/brutal death metal and sludge/stoner/doom metal.

You want something with more or with less treble? 

HD800S is by fat the best headphone I tried to date, you can get an amp like Matrix M-Stage and be happy with it 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6,729 of 12,302
  You want something with more or with less treble? 

HD800S is by fat the best headphone I tried to date, you can get an amp like Matrix M-Stage and be happy with it 
biggrin.gif

Somewhere between shelved and neutral. Something that sounds like my RAAL Ribbon tweeters if possible, but the bass/midrange impact/clarity is more important to me. Treble just needs to not bother my tinnitus or be splashy. I don't know if the HD800S is for me after everything else I've read. I enjoy my LCD-2, just missing the impact, and can't stand that mine has failed twice and has changed sound each time. Still a great headphone, just ready for a change.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #6,730 of 12,302
  Somewhere between shelved and neutral. Something that sounds like my RAAL Ribbon tweeters if possible, but the bass/midrange impact/clarity is more important to me. Treble just needs to not bother my tinnitus or be splashy. I don't know if the HD800S is for me after everything else I've read. I enjoy my LCD-2, just missing the impact, and can't stand that mine has failed twice and has changed sound each time. Still a great headphone, just ready for a change.

If you really enjoy the signature of your LCD-2, HD800 might not be the best direction to follow 
biggrin.gif

Hm... LCD4?... If you liked LCD, they have their own sound, I haven't really heard anything like them and can't say I would really recommend other open back headphones that would sound similar 
beyersmile.png

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #6,731 of 12,302
Hey everyone i'm new to the forums and i've been doing some research lately on buying my first set of headphones (yay i'm a noob) and this thread fits me perfectly because i love listening to metal.

I've been thinking of getting the Bose QC35 but i wanted to know what are your thoughts on them? I listen all types of metal like, Power, Death, Black, Folk, Doom.

Or maybe there's other "better" brands of wireless headphones out there?

Thanks for the help :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #6,732 of 12,302
  Hey everyone i'm new to the forums and i've been doing some research lately on buying my first set of headphones (yay i'm a noob) and this thread fits me perfectly because i love listening to metal.

I've been thinking of getting the Bose QC35 but i wanted to know what are your thoughts on them? I listen all types of metal like, Power, Death, Black, Folk, Doom.

Or maybe there's other "better" brands of wireless headphones out there?

Thanks for the help :)

There are many wireless options out there, depends on what type of sound you want and what are you prepared to pay! 

I personally don't recommend wireless as I don't have experience with any wireless headphones... 

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #6,733 of 12,302

Stillhart may want to weigh-in here, as he probably has had more time with both of them.

It's been a while since I had the Elear but yeah, I think soundstage is one of the main criticisms people have of the Elear and Utopia.  They're not small but they're not particularly big either.  They image really well so you kinda notice the small stage more, if that makes sense.

The AEON has the same MrSpeakers magic that makes the Ether C sound huge even though it's closed.  I don't recall it being really massive, but it never felt like a small closed-headphone stage either.  I'd say the AEON probably edges out the Elear but I wouldn't call either big.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah looks like the focal headphones don't have that big a soundstage. Want to get a pair that complements my hd800s at home. Really don't wanna get another hd800s lol. Gotta try the Mr speakers sets..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back