Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 28, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #6,586 of 12,322
The 1.1 is not great for metal IMO.  It's adequate but it's really thin in the mids and mid-bass.  It's more appropriate for EDM IMHO.  The new Flow isn't exactly neutral, but it feels pretty balanced albeit with lifted bass.

Hey there, it's good to see you around here again.

Have you had a chance to compare the Omni/Ori to the Alpha Prime? I will have both in this week, but will only keep one.

Also, how do they stack up with the new Atticus and the Elear? I'll be driving them with an iFi iDSD Micro.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,587 of 12,322
Also, I had an Oppo Pm-2 in this week to try out (which I'm using to trade for my new Ori). I really like it for the most part - very comfortable, very nice bass, very nice mids. I just didn't like their treble presentation enough to keep them. I actually preferred the 1990's treble for metal. A lot of people here I suspect would prefer the Pm-2,however.

So the Pm-2 wasn't perfect for me, but it's definitely worth a shot if you are sensitive to sibilance and want something very comfortable and a good all-rounder. It's a good deal if you can get one for around $450, but I wouldn't spend more.

Also, I'm growing to like the 1990s a great deal, but don't like them with Sabre Dacs. I suspect they will also get too peaky with other bright sources as well.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,588 of 12,322

Not a bad headphone but I wouldn't call it neutral.  As far as the Ether C, the Flow version will be more neutral than the 1.1.  

Also, keep an eye out for any possible announcements at Canjam next weekend.

Have you tried the NightOwl or the NightHawk Carbon with the ultra suede pads ?  (The boost pads are installed by default.)

I prefer the boost pads (pleather) because they enhance the mids compared to the classics pads from the original NightHawk but to my ears the NO or NH are neutral with the ultra suede pads.  (The ultra suede pads decrease the bass a couple of dB while not impacting the mids and highs.)

Regarding the possible annoucements at Canjam, are you beta testing the new headphones that MattTCG mentionned here
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,589 of 12,322
Hey there, it's good to see you around here again.

Have you had a chance to compare the Omni/Ori to the Alpha Prime? I will have both in this week, but will only keep one.

Also, how do they stack up with the new Atticus and the Elear? I'll be driving them with an iFi iDSD Micro.

Heyo!  I have not had much time with the Alpha Prime.  I tried it briefly at Canjam a while back and it wasn't to my taste and I haven't heard it since.  I've heard the Omni extensively and I'm a big fan.

I haven't yet heard the Atticus but I expect my review unit to be shipped out next week.  Elear is a good headphone but I prefer the Omni.  It doesn't have the treble dip that bugs me on the Elear and it's got ZMF planar/woody bass, which trumps the dynamic bass in the Elear.

Have you tried the NightOwl or the NightHawk Carbon with the ultra suede pads ?  (The boost pads are installed by default.)

I prefer the boost pads (pleather) because they enhance the mids compared to the classics pads from the original NightHawk but to my ears the NO or NH are neutral with the ultra suede pads.  (The ultra suede pads decrease the bass a couple of dB while not impacting the mids and highs.)

Regarding the possible annoucements at Canjam, are you beta testing the new headphones that MattTCG mentionned here
wink.gif

I heard the Owl and Carbon at CES but I don't know which pads were on them.  I believe they had both available but I didn't have the time to mess around with them too much.  I found the NightOwl to be more balanced sounding (still very dark but not AS dark) than the Carbon, which is why I like it better.  The NightHawk in any form is just too dark for me.

Regarding your last question, I can neither confirm nor deny that Fedex just dropped off something that I'll be reviewing for Audiohead next week, in time for Canjam.  Nor can I say yes, it's definitely the same one.  

ph34r.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #6,590 of 12,322

Regarding your last question, I can neither confirm nor deny that Fedex just dropped off something that I'll be reviewing for Audiohead next week, in time for Canjam.  Nor can I say yes, it's definitely the same one.  

ph34r.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #6,591 of 12,322
Heyo!  I have not had much time with the Alpha Prime.  I tried it briefly at Canjam a while back and it wasn't to my taste and I haven't heard it since.  I've heard the Omni extensively and I'm a big fan.

I haven't yet heard the Atticus but I expect my review unit to be shipped out next week.  Elear is a good headphone but I prefer the Omni.  It doesn't have the treble dip that bugs me on the Elear and it's got ZMF planar/woody bass, which trumps the dynamic bass in the Elear.

I heard the Owl and Carbon at CES but I don't know which pads were on them.  I believe they had both available but I didn't have the time to mess around with them too much.  I found the NightOwl to be more balanced sounding (still very dark but not AS dark) than the Carbon, which is why I like it better.  The NightHawk in any form is just too dark for me.

:ph34r:  

So you say there's a dip in the treble on the Elears? That would definitely bug me (something I don't like about the Oppo Pm-2).

Well, I'm definitely even more excited about to getting my Omnis now.

Thank you, sir. Looking forward to hearing about the Atticus. That's next up on my list if I don't absolutely adore the Omnis.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #6,592 of 12,322
So you say there's a dip in the treble on the Elears? That would definitely bug me (something I don't like about the Oppo Pm-2).

Well, I'm definitely even more excited about to getting my Omnis now.

Thank you, sir. Looking forward to hearing about the Atticus. That's next up on my list if I don't absolutely adore the Omnis.

It's not the treble, it's the upper mids, sorry.  You can read my full review of the Elear on Audio-head.  The PM-2 is just warm...  The Elear has a weird dip in the upper mids that makes it feel sort of warm like a HD650 but then it comes back up and extends nicely.  It's an odd effect that bugs me but other people love it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #6,594 of 12,322
Just want to clarify that what I got isn't a beta. It's a review unit. I don't know about who else was testing or reviewing. I won't confirm or deny the other stuff... No idea where you got that info.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #6,595 of 12,322
  I've been happy with my trusty Sennheiser HD600 for a long time but unfortunately can't use them very much these days. They simply leak to much sound. I've been searching for a pair of closed-back headphones to complement these and come up with two candidates:

Mr.Speakers Ether C
Audeze LCD-XC

Any thoughts? I love my HD600 for their neutrality. HD600 with a tad more sub-bass would be my dream-phone.

Sony MDR-Z1R

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #6,597 of 12,322
I'm definitely interested in seeing that response graph too. 

I'm usually not a Sony fan when it comes to audio, but I read quite a lot about this specific model and I'm eager to see how it performs from a technical standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back