Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 24, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6,571 of 12,322
I can finally relax. What a couple of days. Now time for a proper jam out session.
LMAO! WOW! The jerk off who damaged my T1, asked for a refund, escalated to a PayPal claim, got sided with via the claim, sent me back the T1, and tonight I opened it to find... IT'S NOT EVEN DAMAGED! HE USED SOMEONE ELSE'S PHOTO OF A DAMAGED PAIR JUST TO "BUY TO TRY" LIKE I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT -- LIKELY DUE TO NOT HAVING A BALANCED AMPLIFIER AND NOT WANTING TO BUY AN APPROPRIATE ADAPTER. WHAT A HEAD CASE! Okay, enough caps. Sheesh. What an absolute Charlie Foxtrot. Going to leave this user some serious negative feedback. Glad I stood up for myself and put my reputation on the line. What a joke.

Wow...just wow! I wanna see who this idiot is!

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #6,573 of 12,322
I read a few pages of the thread, since I am myself a huge metal fan ( I also enjoy hardstyle a lot for some reason ). I used to have Sennheiser HD650 a couple of years ago, and metal sounded great on them. 

Ever since I obtained the HD800s though ( along with a Asus Xonar Essence DAC ), everything about the presentation of the music has improved immensely. Depth, soundstage, even punchiness and aggression - really love that combo! Totally recommend if anyone's looking for a nice headphone/dac/amp combo for that type of music.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #6,574 of 12,322
I can finally relax. What a couple of days. Now time for a proper jam out session.
LMAO! WOW! The jerk off who damaged my T1, asked for a refund, escalated to a PayPal claim, got sided with via the claim, sent me back the T1, and tonight I opened it to find... IT'S NOT EVEN DAMAGED! HE USED SOMEONE ELSE'S PHOTO OF A DAMAGED PAIR JUST TO "BUY TO TRY" LIKE I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT -- LIKELY DUE TO NOT HAVING A BALANCED AMPLIFIER AND NOT WANTING TO BUY AN APPROPRIATE ADAPTER. WHAT A HEAD CASE! Okay, enough caps. Sheesh. What an absolute Charlie Foxtrot. Going to leave this user some serious negative feedback. Glad I stood up for myself and put my reputation on the line. What a joke.

PayPal gift is your friend when dealing with an unknown buyer without a reliable posting history.  Not everyone is trying to screw the seller, but it happens enough to take precautions.  Glad it all turned out semi-okay.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #6,575 of 12,322
I'm just chiming in that I love my 800S's for all types of music, especially metal. +1 on the reference about Maiden arpeggios! :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #6,576 of 12,322
Wow lot's of love for the HD800S here 
wink.gif

I have tried really hard to like the HD800 with many amps and mods but the sound was just too analytical and thin for my tastes.  But now I'm very curious about the new version.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #6,577 of 12,322
  Wow lot's of love for the HD800S here 
wink.gif

I have tried really hard to like the HD800 with many amps and mods but the sound was just too analytical and thin for my tastes.  But now I'm very curious about the new version.

They're pretty similar.  IMHO, the HD800S is for people who don't have a good enough amp to drive the HD800 well.  If you've heard the HD800 out of a great pairing and still don't like it, you probably won't like the S.  (Again, IMO YMMV etc.  I know the HD800/HD800S can be a touchy subject for some.  lol)

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #6,578 of 12,322

They're pretty similar.  IMHO, the HD800S is for people who don't have a good enough amp to drive the HD800 well.  If you've heard the HD800 out of a great pairing and still don't like it, you probably won't like the S.  (Again, IMO YMMV etc.  I know the HD800/HD800S can be a touchy subject for some.  lol)

I have never owned the HD800, but apparently a modded one can come close to or even surpass HD800S, or so i have heard. The "S" essentially incorporates similar mods done by the community before release, albeit in a more industrial way. 

To me HD800S definitely improved using the first watt J2 as opposed to the headphone amps. BUT, the headphone amps is what sold me on the headphones so the difference isn't night and day. So you are probably right, the HD800 is more picky. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #6,579 of 12,322
I have never owned the HD800, but apparently a modded one can come close to or even surpass HD800S, or so i have heard. The "S" essentially incorporates similar mods done by the community before release, albeit in a more industrial way. 

I like my SDR/cork modded HD800 a ton more then the 800S, so much so I immediately returned them.

That being said, I think it is just because I am accustomed to the sound. I think that is where the "surpassing" reports come from is familiarity.

Both stock, the HD800S is definitely is a better sounding headphone to my ears.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #6,580 of 12,322

I tend to agree, I feel like the HD800 can be better on many of the elite-level amps (but not all), but the "S" is way less finicky with your audio chain. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #6,581 of 12,322
I've been happy with my trusty Sennheiser HD600 for a long time but unfortunately can't use them very much these days. They simply leak to much sound. I've been searching for a pair of closed-back headphones to complement these and come up with two candidates:

Mr.Speakers Ether C
Audeze LCD-XC

Any thoughts? I love my HD600 for their neutrality. HD600 with a tad more sub-bass would be my dream-phone.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,582 of 12,322
I've been happy with my trusty Sennheiser HD600 for a long time but unfortunately can't use them very much these days. They simply leak to much sound. I've been searching for a pair of closed-back headphones to complement these and come up with two candidates:

Mr.Speakers Ether C
Audeze LCD-XC

Any thoughts? I love my HD600 for their neutrality. HD600 with a tad more sub-bass would be my dream-phone.

You should also add the new AudioQuest NightOwl on your list.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #6,583 of 12,322
You should also add the new AudioQuest NightOwl on your list.

Not a bad headphone but I wouldn't call it neutral.  As far as the Ether C, the Flow version will be more neutral than the 1.1.  

Also, keep an eye out for any possible announcements at Canjam next weekend.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #6,584 of 12,322

Not a bad headphone but I wouldn't call it neutral.  As far as the Ether C, the Flow version will be more neutral than the 1.1.  

Also, keep an eye out for any possible announcements at Canjam next weekend.

I'm a bit worried about the C Flow, on the FR-chart it doesn't look as neutral as the Regular C. The FR-response seems a little peaky in comparison. The slightly elevated bass is probably a good thing though. I heard people complain about the C being a bit bass-light.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,585 of 12,322
  I'm a bit worried about the C Flow, on the FR-chart it doesn't look as neutral as the Regular C. The FR-response seems a little peaky in comparison. The slightly elevated bass is probably a good thing though. I heart people complain about the C being a bit bass-light.

The 1.1 is not great for metal IMO.  It's adequate but it's really thin in the mids and mid-bass.  It's more appropriate for EDM IMHO.  The new Flow isn't exactly neutral, but it feels pretty balanced albeit with lifted bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back