Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #6,391 of 12,299
  Great thanks for the info. So at this point Elears and LCD-2. I do have a local dealer that carries both so can compare. Anything else to consider at around $1K? Also does LCD-2.2 represent the current version of the LCD-2 or some modified variant? Need to do some research on the Audeze line.

I'm a big DT fan also (based on your ID) and would be another variety of music I listen to often.

For $1000 :

1. Audeze LCD-2
  2. Focal Elear
  3. ZMF Atticus

Yes I'm also a big fan of DT but I don't like the last album, I hope that they will come back with an album like Awake or I&W 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #6,392 of 12,299
  The current version of LCDs come with the Fazor tech...my pair is pre fazor but 2nd revision of driver.I called audeze a few months ago and provided them with serial number and the tech I spoke to said they were 2.2.He said that was "the warmest driver they made"

As to fazor or not,thats upo to you...lots of varied opinions on that.I opted for pre fazor.

I dont find mine to be overly dark if I listen to them for awhile,but if I switch from a bright headphone mid-stream the difference is def noticeable.

So if I bought a new pair at retail today they would include the fazor? Is used the only option for a pre-fazor version like yours? Thanks!

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6,393 of 12,299
  So if I bought a new pair at retail today they would include the fazor? Is used the only option for a pre-fazor version like yours? Thanks!

correct

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,394 of 12,299
I have a pair of HD600 and LCD-2.1 (2010, pre-Fazor). The Senns are quite middy in comparison, not as deep in the bass or lively up top. Audezes have strong mids too, but present the FR-extremes much better - they are way more fun. The added sub-bass is known by all, but I'd say the Audezes are actually brighter, even if they're known to be dark headphones - they aren't all that dark, really. Also, I think the LCD sounds cleaner (not grainy) in the highs. Around 3k HD600 has a peak that's great for hearing important stuff in a mix, but makes stuff sound slightly dry, not as much fun, imo.

The LCD's are a real step up in enjoyment for me, even though these two headphones aren't miles apart. They are both very neutral, when compared to stuff like X2 or THX00 etc.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #6,395 of 12,299
  I have a pair of HD600 and LCD-2.1 (2010, pre-Fazor). The Senns are quite middy in comparison, not as deep in the bass or lively up top. Audezes have strong mids too, but present the FR-extremes much better - they are way more fun. The added sub-bass is known by all, but I'd say the Audezes are actually brighter, even if they're known to be dark headphones - they aren't all that dark, really. Also, I think the LCD sounds cleaner (not grainy) in the highs. Around 3k HD600 has a peak that's great for hearing important stuff in a mix, but makes stuff sound slightly dry, not as much fun, imo.

The LCD's are a real step up in enjoyment for me, even though these two headphones aren't miles apart. They are both very neutral, when compared to stuff like X2 or THX00 etc.

Thanks so much for that post! Really helpful comparison. Sounds like the LCD-2's are strong contenders. I look forward to comparing them with the Elears.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6,396 of 12,299
Got my AKG K612's today. Most genres sounded quite pleasing but especially progressive metal sounded awesome with huge soundstage imo (to be specific: Dream Theater) Bass is controlled and tight, not even close to overwhelming. Mids are there, but not as significant as highs. I quite liked them, listening for couple hours only though. I hope burn-in would make them a little bit more settled. Btw, I'm using them with Fiio X3ii, which means not even full potential of these cans but quite decent. I will share my opinions as well when I get an amp!

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #6,397 of 12,299
Any interest I had in the ED.6 is now dead. Wow. The HFM ED.6 thread took quite a turn -- actually more akin to a nosedive. If anyone wants to learn how not to conduct business, definitely check the recent discussion. I'm almost in disbelief. Takes quite a long time to recover your image after something like that. Yikes!

On another note, I wish that the LCD-4 was cheaper (more affordable) if not only so more consumers can own a pair.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #6,398 of 12,299
Any interest I had in the ED.6 is now dead. Wow. The HFM ED.6 thread took quite a turn -- actually more akin to a nosedive. If anyone wants to learn how not to conduct business, definitely check the recent discussion. I'm almost in disbelief. Takes quite a long time to recover your image after something like that. Yikes!

On another note, I wish that the LCD-4 was cheaper (more affordable) if not only so more consumers can own a pair.

HFM ED.6 ?

You mean the Hifiman HE-6 ?

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #6,401 of 12,299
Exhibit A in why bland customer service generalities are always the way to go for the public face of company ("While we cannot detail all of our proprietary business decisions in public, thank you to our loyal customers here for your feedback on our products as we always look to improve them for you.")

Given the strong gap between Fang's expressed feelings on the HE-6 in that thread and the community here's love of that product, hopefully their future product design/tuning (at least the ones at affordable price points) will not deviate too much from what has made their line great with metal in the past. Maybe if his new TOTL stuff does as well as you would think from that thread he will need to make some more HE-6s for financial reasons.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #6,402 of 12,299
  Exhibit A in why bland customer service generalities are always the way to go for the public face of company ("While we cannot detail all of our proprietary business decisions in public, thank you to our loyal customers here for your feedback on our products as we always look to improve them for you.")

Given the strong gap between Fang's expressed feelings on the HE-6 in that thread and the community here's love of that product, hopefully their future product design/tuning (at least the ones at affordable price points) will not deviate too much from what has made their line great with metal in the past. Maybe if his new TOTL stuff does as well as you would think from that thread he will need to make some more HE-6s for financial reasons.

Yeah... I don't understand why they don't tweak the HE6 drivers to make them more efficient, and use the more modern housing/headband, and sell it for $1000. Problem solved. I'm dying to try the HE6, but I'm not dying to spend another $2000 on an amp because that headphone is just so stupidly inefficient. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #6,403 of 12,299

Yeah... I don't understand why they don't tweak the HE6 drivers to make them more efficient, and use the more modern housing/headband, and sell it for $1000. Problem solved. I'm dying to try the HE6, but I'm not dying to spend another $2000 on an amp because that headphone is just so stupidly inefficient. 

As soon as my custom cable arrives(was told within the next 10 days) I will let you know how they do from my speaker taps of my 40 year old receiver that cost me under 125.00

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6,405 of 12,299
How can I figure out if my new denon receiver can power them well?

I dunno...my new-ish NAD T758 doesnt hold a candle to my Sansui in terms of driving headphones.

I spent a good deal of time reading this thread....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back