Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #6,167 of 12,302
not related to headphones, but has anyone ever used an audioquest jitterbug / ifi ipurifier 2 or similar devices for metal listening set up?

I know a lot of mojo users have the jitterbugs, so I'm interested in getting either the jitterbug or the ipurifier, although the ipurifer needs adaptor to connect to mojo's mini usb I think.

I want even more smootheness in my set-up which is:
Laptop -> Mojo -> Liquid Carbon -> Ether Flow

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #6,168 of 12,302
  @akg fanboy
Well, I've ordered a K612 3 days ago. It's so cheap on amazon.de, it's like a joke. Only 83 euro, free shipping. In my country, it's 270 euro as the cheapest one. 

I can only think this price is because AKG is Austrian? Beyers are also cheap on amazon.de as a German brand.

Be careful with too-good-to-be-true deals on Amazon DE (and maybe other countries as well). See my post below, which I made a while ago in the EU Deals thread. There have been more cases like this since. 

Hey guys, a word of warning for anyone finding (second hand) deals on Amazon (Germany) that seem too good to be true:

Last week I tried buying a pair of used Audeze Sines through an external seller on Amazon, they were offered for a great price (€ 250) so I jumped immediately. I was stoked but the next day my order got cancelled by the seller without explanation. Two days later I found another pair of Sines on Amazon for the exact same price, offered by someone else. Again, without hesitation I immediately bought them. Next day, same thing happens, order got cancelled... I contacted the guy through Amazon and he sent me this reply:

Hello,

My Amazon Seller Account was hacked, 11,000 competitively priced electrical items were added to my account, items which I am unable to supply.

Amazon will cancel your order and refund you direct.

No orders were accepted by my company an no money has entered my domain.

Sincere apologies for your disappointment. 

So.. Yeah. I now have two € 255 reservations on my credit card, triggered by purchases through hacked Amazon-accounts...

Both sellers were situated in the UK by the way, I have no idea whether this extends only to Amazon Germany, or to other countries as well.

Either way, if you see any offers that might seem too good to be true, maybe it's best to contact the seller before jumping in head-first.

Cheers, Emiel

Nothing happend with those reservations by the way, they disappeared after 20 days. They were made by Amazon theselves and I don't think my credit card details were ever obtained by said hacker, but I will think twice before placing an order with Amazon again. Which could have been the goal all along. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #6,170 of 12,302
Before I bought my power conditioners, I used to have one of these in my chain. Never tried a schiit wyrd, AQ jitterbug, or iFi iPurifier before. It didn't do anything beneficial after adding the power conditioner and replacing my OEM USB cable with something that was shielded better. The USB implementation on my current dac is superb as well. My Mini-i pro was a bit more prone to noise than my V850 is.

I think coming from your laptop (especially if it has a fan that ramps up), you will see some benefits with the addition of any of those solutions to your chain. Also very true if you're receiving wireless or Bluetooth connections on the laptop. All the more chance of some emi/rfi.

hmm interesting, I do use wireless internet at all times at home.
based on what you said, it does bring improvement before you add power conditioner and replace cables, I know that you probably had it a long time ago so couldn't remember, but in what ways does it improve the sound?
is it smoother?

most reviews in youtube states clearer mids(subtle) as the improvement over anything else.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #6,171 of 12,302

Be careful with too-good-to-be-true deals on Amazon DE (and maybe other countries as well). See my post below, which I made a while ago in the EU Deals thread. There have been more cases like this since. 

Nothing happend with those reservations by the way, they disappeared after 20 days. They were made by Amazon theselves and I don't think my credit card details were ever obtained by said hacker, but I will think twice before placing an order with Amazon again. Which could have been the goal all along. 

Oh, thank you for your warning. But my item ships and sold by Amazon itself. I think this is the safest case.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #6,172 of 12,302
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6,173 of 12,302
  My sextetts beg to differ

but the sextetts are discontinued/available only used 
angry_face.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #6,175 of 12,302
  Have you considered the HE560? You might like them.

From my understanding,based upon reading comparisons only,the 560 is closer to HE6 than 500 is..... aka more audiophilish,whereas 500s tend to be more "fun"...I wouldnt call my 500s fun,but I also wouldnt call them audiophilish either.

Many view it as a sidegrade,some view the 560 as a true upgrade,but ive read enough contrary opinions on the topic thats left me feeling like i might as well go for the HE6,or a Stax for a real "next level" headphone.

Even the dude selling the Stax messaged me and told me to grab an HE6 for rock and metal,but said either way I cant go wrong....... 

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,176 of 12,302
  From my understanding,based upon reading comparisons only,the 560 is closer to HE6 than 500 is..... aka more audiophilish,whereas 500s tend to be more "fun"...I wouldnt call my 500s fun,but I also wouldnt call them audiophilish either.

Many view it as a sidegrade,some view the 560 as a true upgrade,but ive read enough contrary opinions on the topic thats left me feeling like i might as well go for the HE6,or a Stax for a real "next level" headphone.

Even the dude selling the Stax messaged me and told me to grab an HE6 for rock and metal,but said either way I cant go wrong....... 

The HE560 was too bright for me, otherwise I liked it better than the HE500. The 500 has omnipresent bass, so it is fun. The bass on a well amped HE560 is killer though. Super fast, tight, and deep. 

You better get a he6 or you will always be wondering. I have not heard anybody tell me STax is good for rock. They are supposed to be very light on bass.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,177 of 12,302
  The HE560 was too bright for me, otherwise I liked it better than the HE500. The 500 has omnipresent bass, so it is fun. The bass on a well amped HE560 is killer though. Super fast, tight, and deep. 

You better get a he6 or you will always be wondering. I have not heard anybody tell me STax is good for rock. They are supposed to be very light on bass.

well one guy(you prolly know of whom im speaking)loves his Stax and is into the same type of metal you are...so IDK
confused.gif

Ya tho on the bass...... Stax seller has owned the HE6 3Xs and said his Stax is no match for HE6 impact and speed,but said the Stax takes the treble smoothness and transparency race....

But if im completely honest with myself I really cant see any headphone replacing my sextetts for the metal I like...theyre way too much fun
L3000.gif

So anything I get will probably be doing more classic rock,blues,reggae,jazz duty than metal duty.....more confused than ever
blink.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #6,178 of 12,302
  Since my HE6 swindling Ive been keeping a pretty constant eye on the FST section and only came across one HE6 for sale and that was snapped up in less than 48 hours.I cant do anything until my cash is returned to me,but according to a Paypal rep I spoke to today on the phone it looks like that should happen on or near the 1st.

Since the HE6 is being kind of elusive,and I will have a decent chunk of cash in my pocket shortly(its actually really starting to burn my leg)I have begun to explore other options.....

I came across what looks to be a good deal(about half of full retail) on a Stax system for about the same price I would pay for an HE6.

I know of one member in the "other metal" thread that loves Stax,but is there anyone here that has a Stax setup that can advise as to which is the correct path for me to follow?

As most of the regulars here know im not an extreme metal guy and my musical tastes vary widely,so im not speaking from a strictly metal perspective,inclusive of metal though.

Full Disclaimer: I have never heard either the HE6,nor a Stax in my life.My closest to either is my HE-500s

TL;DR

Stax or HE6 for 90% rock/blues/metal?

Unless you climb very high to Stax summit go with the HE-6.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #6,179 of 12,302
  Unless you climb very high to Stax summit go with the HE-6.

My understanding is the STAX 4170 system is about half way up the Stax summit,so I gather youre suggesting HE6?

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6,180 of 12,302
  My understanding is the STAX 4170 system is about half way up the Stax summit,so I gather youre suggesting HE6?

It takes a Carbon/BHSE/T2/Megatron/Circlotron to scale the 007 or 009 to the limits. A KGSShv would be a livable stopgap. This is just of perspective
of taking things to their best. In the same regards, an HE-6 takes some work to scale. I'd shoot for a J2.

I would not consider the 4170 system. Perhaps later try a Koss 950 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back