Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #6,151 of 12,302
Two words: Stoner/Doom

biggrin.gif

I will defer on that,considering "War Pigs" is the closest song to stoner/doom that I like.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6,152 of 12,302
The thing about these planars is that the bass response - and the performance overall - is going to be highly dependent on source, current supply, mods and pad selection.

In some cases a simple amp swap can make some of the older gen Hifimans sound like completely different headphones.

The problem with a lot of those arguments is that many of the variables are dismissed or (oftentimes) not even introduced in the first place. I'm sure, in many cases, if you put people in front of identical setups, they would probably agree on these controversial sonic attributes.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #6,153 of 12,302
The thing about these planars is that the bass response - and the performance overall - is going to be highly dependent on source, current supply, mods and pad selection.

In some cases a simple amp swap can make some of the older gen Hifimans sound like completely different headphones.

The problem with a lot of those arguments is that many of the variables are dismissed or (oftentimes) not even introduced in the first place. I'm sure, in many cases, if you put people in front of identical setups, they would probably agree on these controversial sonic attributes.

When I had HE400 (original), I used them with a Garage 1217 Project Polaris, Cayin C5, and a Headstage Arrow 5TX. I no longer have any of these 3 amps, but I found the HE400 to sound very consistent across different sources & amps. Would you suggest a different pairing?

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #6,154 of 12,302
When I had HE400 (original), I used them with a Garage 1217 Project Polaris, Cayin C5, and a Headstage Arrow 5TX. I no longer have any of these 3 amps, but I found the HE400 to sound very consistent across different sources & amps. Would you suggest a different pairing?

Again, it's a matter of multiple variables having a compound effect. More odd order harmonic distortion and transient overshoots from the amp + more oversampling errors from the DAC + more bad reflections within the pads and housing + less accurate damping in the waveform decay from the cable... it all starts to add up. My point is, it is oftentimes more than one variable.

Right now with the 400, I have the Metrum Musette feeding the Wells Milo via DanaCable Onyx RCAs. Using a Norne Draug 2 cable and the OG gen 1 velours that shipped with the first run HE-6.

Overkill? Yes, but I use that setup for everything else too.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #6,156 of 12,302
Another thought:how are metalheads bassheads? I mean most metal seems pretty light on subbass if any at all, doesn't seem to do much to pump it up.

I can only speak for myself of course but I'm definitely both a basshead and a metalhead. The two are not necessarily inherent but they're not mutually exclusive either. But you're right, a lot of metal is a little light in the subbass department. That doesn't stop me from trying to pump it up though.. And metal is not the only thing I listen to but I'm most definitely a metalhead at heart. To me music through headphones sounds more natural with moar base. Apart from preference/taste I think it's got something to do with compensating for the lack of physical impact that you would get with live music. Like Meshuggah recently - the bass got my trouser legs flapping. I like it that way and it'll take some seriously heavy EQ-ing to get my trouser legs flapping from in-ears. Not quite there yet but I'll keep trying! :D

Also, Igorrr.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bQT85v__I[/VIDEO]

Ok, back into lurk mode

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #6,157 of 12,302
Since my HE6 swindling Ive been keeping a pretty constant eye on the FST section and only came across one HE6 for sale and that was snapped up in less than 48 hours.I cant do anything until my cash is returned to me,but according to a Paypal rep I spoke to today on the phone it looks like that should happen on or near the 1st.

Since the HE6 is being kind of elusive,and I will have a decent chunk of cash in my pocket shortly(its actually really starting to burn my leg)I have begun to explore other options.....

I came across what looks to be a good deal(about half of full retail) on a Stax system for about the same price I would pay for an HE6.

I know of one member in the "other metal" thread that loves Stax,but is there anyone here that has a Stax setup that can advise as to which is the correct path for me to follow?

As most of the regulars here know im not an extreme metal guy and my musical tastes vary widely,so im not speaking from a strictly metal perspective,inclusive of metal though.

Full Disclaimer: I have never heard either the HE6,nor a Stax in my life.My closest to either is my HE-500s

TL;DR

Stax or HE6 for 90% rock/blues/metal?

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #6,158 of 12,302
  Since my HE6 swindling Ive been keeping a pretty constant eye on the FST section and only came across one HE6 for sale and that was snapped up in less than 48 hours.I cant do anything until my cash is returned to me,but according to a Paypal rep I spoke to today on the phone it looks like that should happen on or near the 1st.

Since the HE6 is being kind of elusive,and I will have a decent chunk of cash in my pocket shortly(its actually really starting to burn my leg)I have begun to explore other options.....

I came across what looks to be a good deal(about half of full retail) on a Stax system for about the same price I would pay for an HE6.

I know of one member in the "other metal" thread that loves Stax,but is there anyone here that has a Stax setup that can advise as to which is the correct path for me to follow?

As most of the regulars here know im not an extreme metal guy and my musical tastes vary widely,so im not speaking from a strictly metal perspective,inclusive of metal though.

Full Disclaimer: I have never heard either the HE6,nor a Stax in my life.My closest to either is my HE-500s

TL;DR

Stax or HE6?

Some pretty funny stuff going on back in the thread. 
So you didn't buy the he6 yet? The price of the he500 and he6 have gone up since  they became discontinued, I remember back in the day where it wasn't unusual to see a used pair regularly going for under 1k, you can blame it on the he560 lol. I have no experience with stax but I would probably go with stax if I were you for a newer sound and transparency. You have already experienced some serious bass from the likes of the he500, lcd2, and sextett bass heavy version, so I think the stax will be a better option. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #6,159 of 12,302

So you didn't buy the he6 yet? 

I did buy one but I,along with at least four other members got scammed by a guy who has been scamming members dating back to 2012,using at least 9 different usernames that I know of.

Just waiting for Paypal to go thru the process to get my cash back. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #6,162 of 12,302
  @akg fanboy

Do you know what are the differences & similarities between k601 and k612? 

The k612 has more bass presence, and honestly if it is cheaper than a k601 by a fair margin, I would rather recommend the k612, they are some of the best value headphones you can get in the sub $100 price range. The k601 is harder to get and usually more expensive but has slightly better mids. They are more similar than different. I actually think the k612 with the greater bass presence might work out better for thrash music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back