Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,416 of 12,301
I like a fast driver, with a natural sound signature work well for metal. Now if your daily driver is a 701 you will find my version of natural bass-heavy. I would argue that is becuase you are using a headphone that sounds way too thin for a natural sound. T1.1 does this, but I found T1.2 fixed the problem for me.

I can understand because I do enjoy the extra bass prowess and extension in the he560, but I would not go any further than the bass the he560 already has. I think I am the minority who is willing to sacrifice bass quantity for a faster and cleaner sound, but I have my limits as I find the k551 too thin for me

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #5,417 of 12,301
I'm a HS teacher and often stay late in the classroom working after my students go home. I usually listen to my Ipod, Spotify on my cellphone or Bandcamp on a school computer if I'm working late in the classroom.

I've got an old Nuforce Icon DAC/Amp that I keep plugged into my desk computer that I'll sometimes use, but I'm thinking of getting a DAP to upgrade the sound of my Ipod or maybe a Hugo that I could use w/ my Android and the work computer. Do any of you use a Hugo with an Android? I've got a Galaxy 5.

I've got Building Service workers that come in and sometimes I can tell staff have been in my room and been on the class computers after a long holiday break. I picked up the Nikon for about $100, but I probably wouldn't want to leave any electoncs that are more expensive in the room. I want something that I can easily throw in my backpack and take back and forth from home to my school. And, that's easy to plug and play without much set up time or hassles-user friendly-and then take home with me......

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #5,418 of 12,301
I'm a HS teacher and often stay late in the classroom working after my students go home. I usually listen to my Ipod, Spotify on my cellphone or Bandcamp on a school computer if I'm working late in the classroom.

I've got an old Nuforce Icon DAC/Amp that I keep plugged into my desk computer that I'll sometimes use, but I'm thinking of getting a DAP to upgrade the sound of my Ipod or maybe a Hugo that I could use w/ my Android and the work computer. Do any of you use a Hugo with an Android? I've got a Galaxy 5.

I've got Building Service workers that come in and sometimes I can tell staff have been in my room and been on the class computers after a long holiday break. I picked up the Nikon for about $100, but I probably wouldn't want to leave any electoncs that are more expensive in the room. I want something that I can easily throw in my backpack and take back and forth from home to my school. And, that's easy to plug and play without much set up time or hassles-user friendly-and then take home with me......

I'd skip the Hugo. IMO, it is a little fake and harsh sounding, especially for the price. I think the $600 Mojo is better both in terms of absolute sound and value. FWIW, Jude agrees with me on this point.

You may also want to take a look at the Acoustic Research M2 DAP ($1,199), as it has a nice Android-based interface, Wi-Fi streaming capability, hi-res & DSD capabilities, expandable storage, and a very powerful all class-A amplifier that can drive just about anything. It is pretty much neck & neck with the AK240 at half the price. I also think there is one on the sale forum for like $700 right now (probably under "sources", IIRC).

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #5,419 of 12,301

I'd skip the Hugo. IMO, it is a little fake and harsh sounding, especially for the price. I think the $600 Mojo is better both in terms of absolute sound and value. FWIW, Jude agrees with me on this point.

You may also want to take a look at the Acoustic Research M2 DAP ($1,199), as it has a nice Android-based interface, Wi-Fi streaming capability, hi-res & DSD capabilities, expandable storage, and a very powerful all class-A amplifier that can drive just about anything. It is pretty much neck & neck with the AK240 at half the price. I also think there is one on the sale forum for like $700 right now (probably under "sources", IIRC).

+1 for the the Mojo. It sounds awesome, and is super-versatile. You can take advantage of the weak UK £ and probably get one for a good price from Amazon UK.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,420 of 12,301
Thanks guys, I meant the Mojo-Hugo must have been in my brain. Hansotek, I'll take a look at the M2 DAP also.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,421 of 12,301
After a nearly year of using m50x i thought of an upgrade. The bass in m50x is really good but from my phone it sounds bit bulky. Especially trash metal/rock tracks. Can anyone suggest me an worth upgrade? I read an good opinon on Focal Listen/Spirit,Yamaha HPH-MT220 and German Maestro GMP 8.35 . Are they worth attention?   

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,422 of 12,301
Focal Spirit Professional has often been praised in this forum. They are said have punch and bass. Though two users, who auditioned them somewhere, have disagreed with it saying that they lacked punch in their opinion.
I was going obtain a pair as well for poorly recorded black metal listening and other.
I already own the AKG K712 Pro and also Schiit Bifrost 4490 dac and Schiit Asgård 2 amp.
Wonder how similar are those headphones ? Worthy of getting ?

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #5,424 of 12,301
  Focal Spirit Professional has often been praised in this forum. They are said have punch and bass. Though two users, who auditioned them somewhere, have disagreed with it saying that they lacked punch in their opinion.
I was going obtain a pair as well for poorly recorded black metal listening and other.
I already own the AKG K712 Pro and also Schiit Bifrost 4490 dac and Schiit Asgård 2 amp.
Wonder how similar are those headphones ? Worthy of getting ?

Would they work well with an phone? its 40 ohm and smarphones arent the best power suply for headphones :/  

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #5,427 of 12,301
Has anyone tried the Hifiman Edition S? It's on sale for $150, which sounds like a good deal.

And the 400i are $250 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back