Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #5,253 of 12,317
Hey guys just checking in.  I ended up going with the cma600i and hd 650 (ordered it from amazon uk for 280$) for my first setup and love it.  I was wanting to pick up a a used omni or an lcd 2 and found an lcd 2.1 prefazor and jumped on it.  The cma600i has been amazing and was everything i wanted, tons of inputs and outputs.  Only issue is with the akm dac chip has some issues that questyle is currently looking into.

The lcd 2 sounds soo good with atmospheric black metal.  Ive been listening to Eneferens - The inward cold , a diadem of dead stars' new album and a few others.  Lights turned down low and i just float away and lose track of time .  

Thanks for the advice  @Hansotek  it was spot on!  

I was curious about the liquid carbon.  Since gen 2 recently shipped there have been alot of gen1's popping up,  Is the cavalli house sound good enough to warrant a purchase?  I would be using the balanced xlr so gen1 should be good over a gen2?   Also, how did the spark sound?  My next adventure is a toss up between cavalli / tube amp  and a mobile setup maybe the spark or mojo?

I just checked out meshuggah's new album and it was killer and obZen also sounds amazing with that planar bass.  What albums are you guys listening to right now?

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #5,255 of 12,317
Hey guys just checking in.  I ended up going with the cma600i and hd 650 (ordered it from amazon uk for 280$) for my first setup and love it.  I was wanting to pick up a a used omni or an lcd 2 and found an lcd 2.1 prefazor and jumped on it.  The cma600i has been amazing and was everything i wanted, tons of inputs and outputs.  Only issue is with the akm dac chip has some issues that questyle is currently looking into.

The lcd 2 sounds soo good with atmospheric black metal.  Ive been listening to Eneferens - The inward cold , a diadem of dead stars' new album and a few others.  Lights turned down low and i just float away and lose track of time .  

Thanks for the advice  @Hansotek
  it was spot on!  

I was curious about the liquid carbon.  Since gen 2 recently shipped there have been alot of gen1's popping up,  Is the cavalli house sound good enough to warrant a purchase?  I would be using the balanced xlr so gen1 should be good over a gen2?   Also, how did the spark sound?  My next adventure is a toss up between cavalli / tube amp  and a mobile setup maybe the spark or mojo?

I just checked out meshuggah's new album and it was killer and obZen also sounds amazing with that planar bass.  What albums are you guys listening to right now?

Glad I could help out! That's great to hear.

The Cavalli sound is pretty addictive. Used Liquid Carbons are pretty low risk, if you want to try it out, as the resale value is incredibly strong you can probably get what you paid for it. First gen Carbons also come with a transferable lifetime warranty. So they are a safe investment in a lot of ways. If you use the balanced output, you won't really be missing anything vs. the gen 2.

The Spark is quite excellent too. Better than most desktops, in fact. In spite of the 350mW into 50ohm spec, it will drive anything that isn't the HE-6.

As far as tube amps go, there is also a great portable option in the Continental V5. The ECP Turbo III is also supposed to be fantastic.

Gotta run for now. To be continued..

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5,256 of 12,317
... continued...

Mojo is good as well. You really can't go wrong with any of the options you are considering.

On music, I've been listening to that new Meshuggah like crazy. Amazing record. I've also been listening to Entheos - "the infinite nothing" and Gorod's "a maze of recycled creeds" pretty regularly, of late.

Cheers!

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,258 of 12,317
I can recommend the Meze 99 Classics. They isolate well and are more comfortable than any on-ear headphone I've heard. I have a slightly larger-than-average head.

How do they compare to the Beyerdynamic DT-1770s? Amazon Warehouse has those for about $300. I really can't get behind the styling on the Classics.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,259 of 12,317
How do they compare to the Beyerdynamic DT-1770s? Amazon Warehouse has those for about $300. I really can't get behind the styling on the Classics.

I prefer the DT1770s in every way.

Both are very good, but I prefer the tight bass and sparkly treble of the DT1770. The only two areas the Mezes are better is soundstage (slightly) and it's even easier to drive.

The Mezes are good, but I think the DT1770s are better.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,261 of 12,317
Hello, what is good for metal and rock (mostly for metal) genres?

DT-250 250 ohm
DT-770 250 ohm

Thank you

Both are easily bested by newer offerings. I'd recommend checking out the Meze 99 Classics or Focal Listen instead. Both have different sounds, the Meze being more emphasized in the bass and mids, and the Focal being slightly V-shaped with impactful bass and sparkling treble.

If, for some reason, you can only choose from the two Beyers, I'd choose the 770. It's still a pretty fun headphone.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #5,263 of 12,317
Both are easily bested by newer offerings. I'd recommend checking out the Meze 99 Classics or Focal Listen instead. Both have different sounds, the Meze being more emphasized in the bass and mids, and the Focal being slightly V-shaped with impactful bass and sparkling treble.

If, for some reason, you can only choose from the two Beyers, I'd choose the 770. It's still a pretty fun headphone.

If the focals are v shaped, that's a deal breaker for me. I'm probably going to remove it from my watch list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back