Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #5,192 of 12,322
Looking for new cans around $500-750 USD. Listen to mostly death, gore, speed, thrash some black and symphonic. Would prefer over-ear closed as I primarily listen at my desk in my shared work office or in company vehicals which are also shared. Been looking at pm-3's because theyre closed, but am defiantly open to any suggestions. Also looked at 400i. Have a schiit stack in my office and an onkyo dp-x1 for mobile. I've read through the thread a couple times and am still unsure what to get so please help!

You don't need to spend $500-$750 for a good pair of over-ear closed headphones.

In my opinion, the Meze 99 Classics are the best closed headphones under $500.  (Yes better than the PM-3, TH-X00 and the Audeze Sine.)

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-walnut-silver-wood-headphones 

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #5,193 of 12,322
btw guys, I'm looking for a cheap IEM for transport, my budget is 150-200.
there is no point in spending much on this since I only use it for about 40-50 minutes a day and I have a desktop set up at home that is transportable to my office.

I have set my eyes on the dunu titan series, I know @shuto77
used to have the titan 5, however, I have asked the same question in the past in the dunu thread and some have suggested that the 3 perform better than 5 for metal.
the titan 1 has poor noise isolation and cancellation so it is out of the equation
Any suggestions?

I'm open to other models too if it is within the same price bracket.

thx guys!

I would be hard pressed to recommend a dunu iem as I have owned the t1/ex1. This is known to have the largest soundstage out of all 3, and they do not live up to the hype. The soundstage is rather dull and flat, my beyerdynamic Byron DT, koss ksc75, and havi b3 pro1 all have a better soundstage by quite a margin. With that said, sound signature wise it has a very boomy uncontrolled bass with severely recessed mids. If you had to choose dunu, I'd recommend the titan 3 because it has the most balanced sound signature, but personally advise you save your money and get a koss ksc75 if isolation isn't as important as good sound.

And if there is one thing I'd praise about dunu, it is the fit. They fit very comfortably and I've never had them fall out unlike any other iem besides my etymotics

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #5,195 of 12,322
My low budget vote is for the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. Metal recordings tend to lack low end and are very bright in general. A closed back headphone with a good amount of low end helps tremendously to offset this with metal recordings.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,196 of 12,322
I would be hard pressed to recommend a dunu iem as I have owned the t1/ex1. This is known to have the largest soundstage out of all 3, and they do not live up to the hype. The soundstage is rather dull and flat, my beyerdynamic Byron DT, koss ksc75, and havi b3 pro1 all have a better soundstage by quite a margin. With that said, sound signature wise it has a very boomy uncontrolled bass with severely recessed mids. If you had to choose dunu, I'd recommend the titan 3 because it has the most balanced sound signature, but personally advise you save your money and get a koss ksc75 if isolation isn't as important as good sound.

And if there is one thing I'd praise about dunu, it is the fit. They fit very comfortably and I've never had them fall out unlike any other iem besides my etymotics

hmm, before I made the post here, I actually read about those IEMs with dynamic driver in it(dunu, dita), looks like a lot of people are saying that they are good, but after investigating further, they seem to be not as good as hyped, this is making it difficult for me to buy it.
I'm starting to regret selling my pm-3 T_T

You don't need to spend $500-$750 for a good pair of over-ear closed headphones.

In my opinion, the Meze 99 Classics are the best closed headphones under $500.  (Yes better than the PM-3, TH-X00 and the Audeze Sine.)

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-walnut-silver-wood-headphones 

lol, maybe I should buy the meze99?
I'll only use it for transport, does it isolate well?

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #5,197 of 12,322
Spending a few days now with my hd650. Early impressions for metal. These Smucker's are A LOT faster than hd600. I hated the 600 with metal, too bright and slow. The 650 just chuggs along as fast and precise as the music requires. Also, the layering and detail on these are superb. They have a relatively small soundstage, but the fantastic layering and detail really give a sense of space and depth to the music, laying it out out for musical enjoyment. Complex passages are effortlessly revealed by the 650 is a musical, engaging and relaxing manor. They don't have a strong attack to them, missing some energy in favour of a more relaxed presentation, but nevertheless very enjoyable.

Big surprise for me, I expected these to suck at metal.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #5,198 of 12,322
Spending a few days now with my hd650. Early impressions for metal. These Smucker's are A LOT faster than hd600. I hated the 600 with metal, too bright and slow. The 650 just chuggs along as fast and precise as the music requires. Also, the layering and detail on these are superb. They have a relatively small soundstage, but the fantastic layering and detail really give a sense of space and depth to the music, laying it out out for musical enjoyment. Complex passages are effortlessly revealed by the 650 is a musical, engaging and relaxing manor. They don't have a strong attack to them, missing some energy in favour of a more relaxed presentation, but nevertheless very enjoyable.

Big surprise for me, I expected these to suck at metal.

With the right gear the 650 can become a very different beast. System synergy is important with the Senns. Even soundstage was great when I upgraded to the Valhalla 2.

You running them balanced out of your Jot?

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #5,199 of 12,322
So apparently the new Audeze iSINE are not that bad ? They are really ugly but someone told me that they are quite good with rock and metal music.

Can't wait to read the feedbacks from RMAF :wink:

Not bad is the understatement of the year. These are flat out incredible!!! This might just be the perfect metal IEM. Tight, impactful as #%$@, super clear and revealing... I'm having a hard time finding a flaw. Listening to the new Meshuggah right now and I can't think of a single thing I would change about it. I mean, I guess the isolation isn't the best, but soundwise Audeze absolutely knocked it out of the park. I can't possibly give these a higher recommendation.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #5,200 of 12,322
With the right gear the 650 can become a very different beast. System synergy is important with the Senns. Even soundstage was great when I upgraded to the Valhalla 2.

You running them balanced out of your Jot?

Single ended right now, balanced cable should be here by the end of the month. 650 and 560 are getting their own balanced cables:)

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5,201 of 12,322
Not bad is the understatement of the year. These are flat out incredible!!! This might just be the perfect metal IEM. Tight, impactful as #%$@, super clear and revealing... I'm having a hard time finding a flaw. Listening to the new Meshuggah right now and I can't think of a single thing I would change about it. I mean, I guess the isolation isn't the best, but soundwise Audeze absolutely knocked it out of the park. I can't possibly give these a higher recommendation.

I figured that would be the case. I just don't know where I would use them without isolation....

You doing the 1 or 2?

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #5,203 of 12,322
Single ended right now, balanced cable should be here by the end of the month. 650 and 560 are getting their own balanced cables:)

Nice! I am demoing the Jot this weekend and the 650 balanced is sounding fantastic. If you ever feel like you want some more energy with your 650, there is a set of proven mods you can do with in depth and easy walkthroughs.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #5,204 of 12,322
Oct 7, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5,205 of 12,322

I'll only use it for transport, does it isolate well?

The isolation is quite good.

That good? 
eek.gif

I'm listening to the Focal Listen right now at RMAF, and I'm pretty sure these are better (and I like the Meze).

Go to the Meze booth and tell them that you want to try the new pads.  I got the new pads yesterday and the bass is more impactful now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back