Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5,176 of 12,302
I found in the other thread where weight is discussed. So the ZMF are 500 g with cherry cups, 540 with padauk.  My LCD-2 were 570 and gave me problems, but plenty of people seem happy with the HiFiMAN HE1000, which is a whopping 688 g. It seems a lot of thought was put into making them comfortable, so I certainly won't rule them out. The Atticus (TPE driver like the Sennheiser HD 800) is $999, and the biocellulose Eikon $1,299. I didn't have plans to buy another headphone this year, but if reviews say Eikon compares well to the R10, that sucker goes on my birthday or Xmas list next year!

He1000 is 477g. He1000 v2 is 420g. I highly doubt any headphone weighing 688g would be anywhere near comfortable. But I enjoyed your writings on your website about the headphone timeline

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,177 of 12,302
Thanks, trying to remember where I got the wrong info. There are the Abyss, Final Sonorous X and Grado PS1000e (unless the Crutchfield listing is also wrong) which are 620, 630 and 683 g respectively.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,178 of 12,302

How does the Jotunheim sound? I have the Lyr 2 and a Magni 2 Uber and my next purchase will be a Jotunheim with balanced dac with intention to start making the move to balanced. 

Much better than the Lyr 2 and the Magni 2 with my HD650.  (In balanced mode.)

The Jotunheim makes the HD650 sound almost like an eletrostat.  The Jotunheim's output is clean and powerful.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,179 of 12,302
Thanks, trying to remember where I got the wrong info. There are the Abyss, Final Sonorous X and Grado PS1000e (unless the Crutchfield listing is also wrong) which are 620, 630 and 683 g respectively.

Funny that the Abyss and the Sonorous X are so close. In spite of the weight, Abyss really doesn't feel that heavy, thanks to the suspension band. On the other hand, the Sonorous X feels like it is made out of a dying star.

Sweet timeline, by the way. I totally bookmarked it!

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,180 of 12,302
Boys, that Atticus sounds like it will be a really nice headphone. Not often am I jones'n for the cheaper model....

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #5,181 of 12,302
So apparently the new Audeze iSINE are not that bad ? They are really ugly but someone told me that they are quite good with rock and metal music.

Can't wait to read the feedbacks from RMAF 
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,182 of 12,302
So apparently the new Audeze iSINE are not that bad ? They are really ugly but someone told me that they are quite good with rock and metal music.

Can't wait to read the feedbacks from RMAF :wink:

I think they actually look awesome: very distinct.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #5,183 of 12,302

Can't wait to read the feedbacks from RMAF :wink:

I heard the same thing. Will post impressions!

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #5,185 of 12,302
Looking for new cans around $500-750 USD. Listen to mostly death, gore, speed, thrash some black and symphonic. Would prefer over-ear closed as I primarily listen at my desk in my shared work office or in company vehicals which are also shared. Been looking at pm-3's because theyre closed, but am defiantly open to any suggestions. Also looked at 400i. Have a schiit stack in my office and an onkyo dp-x1 for mobile. I've read through the thread a couple times and am still unsure what to get so please help!

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #5,186 of 12,302
Looking for new cans around $500-750 USD. Listen to mostly death, gore, speed, thrash some black and symphonic. Would prefer over-ear closed as I primarily listen at my desk in my shared work office or in company vehicals which are also shared. Been looking at pm-3's because theyre closed, but am defiantly open to any suggestions. Also looked at 400i. Have a schiit stack in my office and an onkyo dp-x1 for mobile. I've read through the thread a couple times and am still unsure what to get so please help!

400i is open. I did not like the pm3 personally. Kind of boring sound signature. For closed, the best I've heard comes from ZMF. The Blackwood is great with metal and can be had in your price range. The Vibros are also good at a cheaper price.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,187 of 12,302

TH-X00 (semi-open)

for me, it is too bass focused, but I know a lot of people like it for metal, and maybe you too!

I suggest spending more for future proofing, but it is entirely up to you.

Trust me, if you are willing to spend 750, you will buy another hp in 1000+ range to satisfy your desire.

this happened to me, so I speak from experience.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #5,190 of 12,302
btw guys, I'm looking for a cheap IEM for transport, my budget is 150-200.
there is no point in spending much on this since I only use it for about 40-50 minutes a day and I have a desktop set up at home that is transportable to my office.

I have set my eyes on the dunu titan series, I know @shuto77 used to have the titan 5, however, I have asked the same question in the past in the dunu thread and some have suggested that the 3 perform better than 5 for metal.
the titan 1 has poor noise isolation and cancellation so it is out of the equation
Any suggestions?

I'm open to other models too if it is within the same price bracket.

thx guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back