Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 25, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #5,071 of 12,322
Massdrop runs the Matrix Hpa-3u & Hpa-3b at good prices. I bought the b-balanced version for $350. It has a slightly warm sound with great power, sounds very good with my 00X and the rest of my HP's. The 3u has a built in dac, the 3b does not.

Thanks for the information.

Have you driven any planars with it? I prefer planars, so my next headphone amp needs have a lot of juice, and balanced inputs.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #5,072 of 12,322
I posted in the 560 thread with this same info so if you are reading it or seeing it twice I apologize. I wanted to share it both places.

Is it just me or does the 560 not handle complex music that well? It's an extremely low distortion and high resolution headphone don't get me wrong. When I A/B the 560 vs my TH900's the TH900's sound grainy and veiled by comparison while the 560's are warmer yet more detailed and revealing... It's weird like that...

Anyways, when listening to intros to most metal songs the headphones sound extremely detailed and just blow me away but once the music starts getting heavy and complex it starts to lose it and just starts falling apart. 

I'm actually just starting to think that they are so revealing that it's showing bad recordings more obviously than the TH900's which excel at every genre I listen to. 

My amp/dacs are the Mojo and Lyr 2 and the Lyr 2 tends to be more clear and detailed while the Mojo is more meaty and even though it outputs cleaner sound on paper it sounds thicker which is great in most cases when compared to the Lyr 2. 

EDIT: 
Could it possibly the cable I'm using? Would silver or switching to 8 core copper possibly make a huge difference? I've got some adapters coming and plan on making some 8 core mogami gold cables for them. I know when I had some 4 core cables for my LCD-X they blew the stock cables out of the park so I'd imagine 8 core would be even better.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #5,073 of 12,322
I posted in the 560 thread with this same info so if you are reading it or seeing it twice I apologize. I wanted to share it both places.

Is it just me or does the 560 not handle complex music that well? It's an extremely low distortion and high resolution headphone don't get me wrong. When I A/B the 560 vs my TH900's the TH900's sound grainy and veiled by comparison while the 560's are warmer yet more detailed and revealing... It's weird like that...

Anyways, when listening to intros to most metal songs the headphones sound extremely detailed and just blow me away but once the music starts getting heavy and complex it starts to lose it and just starts falling apart. 

I'm actually just starting to think that they are so revealing that it's showing bad recordings more obviously than the TH900's which excel at every genre I listen to. 

My amp/dacs are the Mojo and Lyr 2 and the Lyr 2 tends to be more clear and detailed while the Mojo is more meaty and even though it outputs cleaner sound on paper it sounds thicker which is great in most cases when compared to the Lyr 2. 

EDIT: 
Could it possibly the cable I'm using? Would silver or switching to 8 core copper possibly make a huge difference? I've got some adapters coming and plan on making some 8 core mogami gold cables for them. I know when I had some 4 core cables for my LCD-X they blew the stock cables out of the park so I'd imagine 8 core would be even better.

The HE560 cable is major garbage. You should definitely make yourself a new one.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #5,075 of 12,322
For someone that listens to metal > rock > blues > pop > acoustic (in that order), what headphones would you suggest? I have A50s at the moment, but don't like them!

I have $250 to spend, and would like to use them without an amp!

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #5,076 of 12,322
  For someone that listens to metal > rock > blues > pop > acoustic (in that order), what headphones would you suggest? I have A50s at the moment, but don't like them!

I'm personally a huge fan of orthodynamic cans and I don't think you can get any better than a used pair of HE400S's for around $240 from Amazon. They aren't as good as teh HE400i and the 400i isn't as good as teh 560 but with each step comes more cash. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #5,077 of 12,322

Meze 99 Classics ($275 with the promo code)

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-walnut-silver-wood-headphones 

And ask them to ship you the latest version with the new pads.

Watch this video after the first 10 minutes 
wink.gif

I also recommend the Grado SR225e but they are open headphones.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,078 of 12,322
That's a good deal for the HE400, but are they doable without an amp?

I think the Meze 99 look like a great choice in that price range. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #5,079 of 12,322

Meze 99 Classics ($275 with the promo code)

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze-99-classics-walnut-silver-wood-headphones 

And ask them to ship you the latest version with the new pads.

Watch this video after the first 10 minutes 
wink.gif

I also recommend the Grado SR225e but they are open headphones.

Cheers dude. Unfortunately I've tried Grado's and find them too uncomfortable!

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #5,080 of 12,322
I think the most important aspect for the metal genre is instrument separation, which usually goes in hand with soundstage but that is not always the case. The upper midrange should have some emphasis for the electric guitars, and a lot of treble can make metal fatiguing. I may be an unpopular opinion here but I think bass heavy headphones/V-shaped are very counter intuitive to the metal genre. Other than for older recordings which benefit from some extra bass, anything else feels like it draws away from the music and just adds bloat and boominess that shouldn't be there.

I have yet to come across a headphone that can best my q701s for this. Does anyone share my opinion? If so, what are the headphone you use for metal?

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #5,081 of 12,322
I can't think of too many others around $250. I liked the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro which is now only $130. But my Denon D2000 and Fostex THX00 were over $300.

Kennerton has gotten some good feedback here. The Magister Light are $888, but $349 on this Massdrop:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kennerton-magister-headphones

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #5,082 of 12,322
I have yet to come across a headphone that can best my q701s for this. Does anyone share my opinion? If so, what are the headphone you use for metal?

My K701s were my main one for a few years, and are okay, but I felt were lacking bass for rock. Haven't tried the Q or the 812 though, but in the few days I've had my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro, the more neutral signature has been just great. There's nothing wrong with wanting to wallow in bass now and then, though. After all, live performances also usually have the bass turned to 11.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,083 of 12,322
My K701s were my main one for a few years, and are okay, but I felt were lacking bass for rock. Haven't tried the Q or the 812 though, but in the few days I've had my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro, the more neutral signature has been just great. There's nothing wrong with wanting to wallow in bass now and then, though. After all, live performances also usually have the bass turned to 11.

I hear the 1990 pro is a very good headphone and I certainly do like the design alot. My question is if they have any resemblance to the 990 or if they are really just neutral like a spiritual successor to the dt880, and how the soundstage would compare to the T1.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #5,084 of 12,322
I can't say, I've only heard the DT 770 Pro for comparison. I will say that a few years back I was curious about the T1, but lost enthusiasm when I saw the long list of criticisms. I'm okay with spending a few hundred on a fun, colored headphone, but for that price, I'd prefer a neutral reference. The 1990 I think outperforms it's pricepoint.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5,085 of 12,322
I hear the 1990 pro is a very good headphone and I certainly do like the design alot. My question is if they have any resemblance to the 990 or if they are really just neutral like a spiritual successor to the dt880, and how the soundstage would compare to the T1.

I can tell you in a week. Definitely a headphone I am going to check out at RMAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back