Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 22, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #4,816 of 12,302
Was just wondering since they are cheaper and i really like that silver collor. I know look dosnt matter in headphones but would not mind if they did in price hahaha ^_^

400S plus some $40 focus A pads will have a more balanced sound than the 400i. I wouldn't consider either of them better, despite the price difference, just a little different sounding.

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #4,817 of 12,302
400S plus some $40 focus A pads will have a more balanced sound than the 400i. I wouldn't consider either of them better, despite the price difference, just a little different sounding.

I got the sense the 400s was slightly more neutral with a slightly larger soundstage. Does it have the excellent bass impact and treble detail of the 400i?

I loved the balance of the 400i, even if it wasn't 100% "neutral."

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #4,819 of 12,302
  Hey folks, is there any headphone that is similar to the TH-X00 that doesn't cost silly amounts of money? I dropped out of the current drop because of wait time and lack of trust in third party shippers.

I've looked at the HE-400i's and I'm not very sure about them yet.

My current setup is Tidal HiFi -> Xonar STX II as DAC -> Project Polaris -> DT770 Pro 80's and Yamaha HPH-MT220.

I feel I like the Yamaha's a bit more, but the comfort is a serious issue and I'm getting some buzz when connected to the Polaris. I'm sort of a basshead, I love feeling the bass and bass guitars are probably my favorite instrument when well articulated(? kind of new to the lingo.)

I listen to many genres, but metal is the most important. All-rounder recommendations are welcome.

I can't specify a budget as the prices in Norway do not correlate well to the dollar prices atm.

Thanks.

​YAMAHA MT-220

How do these perform rough sounding recordings, black metal recordings like Behexen - By the blessing of Satan or Watain - Rabid death's curse?

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,820 of 12,302

​YAMAHA MT-220

How do these perform rough sounding recordings, black metal recordings like Behexen - By the blessing of Satan or Watain - Rabid death's curse?

It's hard being a black metal AND a head-fi fan. I entirely know your pain.

Never heard the MT 220 but honestly unless you hate bass I might suggest the SZ1000. SZ2000 if you love bass AND have an amp.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #4,821 of 12,302
I got the sense the 400s was slightly more neutral with a slightly larger soundstage. Does it have the excellent bass impact and treble detail of the 400i?

I loved the balance of the 400i, even if it wasn't 100% "neutral."

Bass impact after upgrading the pads to focus A from the stock velour is good, otherwise it rolls off a bit compared to the 400i. Treble is smoother than 400i. Honestly I found the whole upper mids throughout the treble of the 400i to be a mess.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,822 of 12,302
Bass impact after upgrading the pads to focus A from the stock velour is good, otherwise it rolls off a bit compared to the 400i. Treble is smoother than 400i. Honestly I found the whole upper mids throughout the treble of the 400i to be a mess.

:fearful:

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #4,823 of 12,302

Lol.

Interesting observation.

I liked how it sounded from my Oppo HA-2 at the time, but to each his own.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #4,824 of 12,302

​YAMAHA MT-220

I'm honestly not the right person to ask as I don't listen to much black metal, so I don't really know what to watch out for. I also think I have some minor hearing damage. I also do not analyse or judge music and equipment a lot.

I did listen to a few songs off of Rabid Death's Curse and to me it didn't feel like anything was missing. The guitars were "enveloping" and hard to locate, bass doesn't really come out enough to judge at my listening levels (It's there but I can't really distinguish it), drums and cymbals were easily separable, vocals came through clearly (Keep in mind I'm used to the DT770's where it sometimes feels like the vocals fell down a pit and never came back out.)

The cymbals and hi-hats would most likely become fatiguing at louder levels than I'm listening at (I'd assume I'm listening anywhere between 60-70dB.) as they are quite sharp.

To me overall it sounds very good (almost cozy, I find the heavy distortion on guitars combined with the enveloping feeling to be warm and pleasant.), but again I listen to very little black metal, if there is anything specific I've missed I can listen again.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,826 of 12,302
The emphasis at 3-4k and the peak at 9k is what ultimately led me to sell them. They are still a fine headphone and a great deal when they go on sale. However I preferred the balance of the 400S with focus pads.

Everyone has difference preferences. You are just the first I have hear to dislike the 400i that much.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #4,829 of 12,302
The emphasis at 3-4k and the peak at 9k is what ultimately led me to sell them. They are still a fine headphone and a great deal when they go on sale. However I preferred the balance of the 400S with focus pads.

Everyone has difference preferences. You are just the first I have hear to dislike the 400i that much.

@hansotek, have you heard both the HE-400s and the 400i?

I find my impressions usually match yours.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,830 of 12,302
Being limited to some sub-par headphones that I bought strictly for console use, I've done a majority of my music listening on speakers lately. Nothing metal related unfortunately. Way too much Overwatch (on PC).

What lousy headphones are you using? You can get good performance out of a $60 Phillips SPH9500, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back