Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #4,741 of 12,300
Thanks for the impressions! I'm a little disappointed to hear the Ether C Flow isn't great for metal, as that was on my radar.

I may be able to switch back to open headphones when I move in November, so maybe it won't be a problem.

Also: Have you heard the HIFIMAN EDITION X, and compared it to the Ether Open?

Thanks, as always!

If I were you, I'd try the Ether-C Flow for myself, if possible. People are very divided on which one is their favorite. I have always been in the Ether Open camp. Many people prefer the C, though. Based on my experience, I would recommend making your own decision on that one.

I absolutely hate the Hifiman Edition X. That's one you can take my word on. I'd take either Ether over that one in a heartbeat. Skip the HEX.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #4,742 of 12,300

If I were you, I'd try the Ether-C Flow for myself, if possible. People are very divided on which one is their favorite. I have always been in the Ether Open camp. Many people prefer the C, though. Based on my experience, I would recommend making your own decision on that one.

I absolutely hate the Hifiman Edition X. That's one you can take my word on. I'd take either Ether over that one in a heartbeat. Skip the HEX.

I also prefer Ether open more than the closed.

tried the closed version, it just didn't move me, sounds thin and lifeless, for me at least. regardless, it is a good can, but not for metal.

all imho of course.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #4,743 of 12,300
Have some ZMF Blackwoods coming in later today, should pair nicely with quite a few metal genres.

Anybody else have experience with the Blackwoods?

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #4,744 of 12,300

That's a great question. It really all depends on the headphone. Anything that is harder to drive will benefit tremendously from the LC. Like HD800 with Mojo vs. HD800 w/LC + Mojo - there is no contest, it sounds 100X better with the LC in the mix. Same with hard-to-drive planars - mids be come fuller, bass more impactful, treble more controlled with the LC in the mix. But easier to drive headphones are sometimes better straight out of the Mojo because the benefit from the shorter signal path more than the additional amplification. It all comes down to the individual needs of the headphone.

All things being equal, the sauce comparison is a good one. The LC, will generally give you a fuller, more mid-centric sound than the Mojo alone. If you want that + more power + balanced mode, it is likely the best thing you're going to get until you get up into the $1,200-$1,500 range. 

LC vs. Spark is another tough one that is not so cut and dry. If you ask people who have listened to both of them extensively, they are pretty divided on the topic. The LC benefits from balanced mode, more power, and a bit of a fuller/thicker sound. The Spark, on the other hand, benefits from battery power (and therefore no exposure to noisy AC power), portability and a sightly lighter more buoyant sound (without ever sounding whimpy. I mean it is POWERFUL). All things being equal (in terms of headphone demands), I prefer the Spark, personally (by a tiny hair), but it is 100% subjective. In my writeup from RMAF 2015, I said it could be both "an endgame desktop AND portable for most Head-fi'ers " - I stand by that statement. That little amp is special.

Hmm, I think I will still wait for the spark, because the difference is as wide as a tiny hair, hahaha

will pair it with ETHER FLOW!!

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #4,745 of 12,300
Have some ZMF Blackwoods coming in later today, should pair nicely with quite a few metal genres.

Anybody else have experience with the Blackwoods?

I am a fan of the blackwoods. I like Blackwood and Bocote best of the ZMF cups.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #4,746 of 12,300
Behexen - By The Blessing Of Satan

Watain - Rabid Death's Curse

+ other rougher sounding black metal albums

What kind of headphones are suitable for listening to the aforementioned stuff ?

I listened to these with Beyerdynamic DT 860 which are brighter sounding, open and have bass but they seemed to sound too revealing and not good with these albums.

I have been thinking of getting the Focal Spirit Professional.

(Has anybody heard the new Focal Listen ?)

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #4,748 of 12,300
Really enjoying me some Moonspell right now with the Blackwoods. I may eventually upgrade these to the Omni's and bocote is likely the type of wood I'll use.

That's what I have! Love em!

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #4,749 of 12,300
That's what I have! Love em!

Do you remember enough about the Blackwood to comment on the blackwood vs omni for metal? Particularly symphonic/black/power/progressive.

I've seen your posts about the Omni but would be interested to hear how it contrasts with the blackwood specifically.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4,751 of 12,300
Do you remember enough about the Blackwood to comment on the blackwood vs omni for metal? Particularly symphonic/black/power/progressive.

I've seen your posts about the Omni but would be interested to hear how it contrasts with the blackwood specifically.

I've heard the Blackwood Omni more recently than a straight up Blackwood. I mean, Blackwood is the hardest wood ZMF offers, and therefore has the quickest decay. It is going to be the most neutral, but also the least forgiving, which I actually like quite a bit. If you want clarity, incisiveness and fast decay that doesn't blur the details, that's the best wood.

Bocote has the second shortest decay, and as a result is a touch fuller/mellower sounding and also more forgiving up top.

Going from the mostly closed Vibro/traditional Blackwood -type cup to the semi-open Omni gives you a bit more soundstage, air and better decay. I can also tell you there are some key differences with the internals that make the Omni more resolving and the tolerances are extremely tight.

So, it depends on what you are looking for relative to the Blackwood. If you like the sound, but want more soundstage and resolution, blackwood Omni. If you want to tone down the highs a bit and get a fuller sound, bocote Omni. I find the other woods a bit too slow and lush for metal.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #4,752 of 12,300

^ I can tell from my comments above that it must have been a Blackwood Omni.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,753 of 12,300

I've heard the Blackwood Omni more recently than a straight up Blackwood. I mean, Blackwood is the hardest wood ZMF offers, and therefore has the quickest decay. It is going to be the most neutral, but also the least forgiving, which I actually like quite a bit. If you want clarity, incisiveness and fast decay that doesn't blur the details, that's the best wood.

Bocote has the second shortest decay, and as a result is a touch fuller/mellower sounding and also more forgiving up top.

Going from the mostly closed Vibro/traditional Blackwood -type cup to the semi-open Omni gives you a bit more soundstage, air and better decay. I can also tell you there are some key differences with the internals that make the Omni more resolving and the tolerances are extremely tight.

So, it depends on what you are looking for relative to the Blackwood. If you like the sound, but want more soundstage and resolution, blackwood Omni. If you want to tone down the highs a bit and get a fuller sound, bocote Omni. I find the other woods a bit too slow and lush for metal.

Thanks guys. Will definitely stick to a blackwood or bocote Omni if/when I get them upgraded.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #4,754 of 12,300
Slightly off-topic. I picked up a used Beyerdynamic T51Pi. It's really nice for an on-ear, but the previous owner's cat did some damage to the cable. I'm going to reach out to the great @PETEREKfor a quote, but does anyone else here have other recommendations? They're not super-expensive headphones, so I don't want to spend a crazy amount getting replacable cables.

Or, I can just send it back to the previous owner. I haven't decided yet, because I really like their sound and the form-factor. 

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #4,755 of 12,300

Will do.

I know this may change when I finally upgrade to a "grown-up" amp in a few months.

Always appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back