Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 10, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #4,711 of 12,302
I'll be seeing Zach this weekend at the Chicago meet. I can ask him to bring a pair of the ZMF Classics and I'll post some impressions for you. Somebody should have a Schiit stack or similar to try them on. Why don't you give me three or so of your favorite test tracks and I'll provide some commentary.

Wow, thanks!

The Ghost That's Haunting You - Trivium

Wrong Side of Heaven - Five Finger Death Punch

Progenies of the Great Apocalypse - Dimmu Borgir

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,712 of 12,302
Wow, thanks!

The Ghost That's Haunting You - Trivium

Wrong Side of Heaven - Five Finger Death Punch

Progenies of the Great Apocalypse - Dimmu Borgir

No problem. Welcome to the thread!

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,714 of 12,302
Hi all, been lurking for a while, but I'm close to saving up enough money to step up to $300 tier headphones. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the ZMF Classics with regards to metal. I also have thought about the Meze 99 Classics, but I would prefer semi-open headphones. Open to other recommendations as well. I value detail, comfort, soundstage depth, and bass in that order. I have a 1st gen Schiit Magni/Modi stack and lossless/Spotify Premium high quality source.

The Meze 99 Classics are very good, but very weird headphones. Their sound signature lends itself well to most genres of metal. For $309, they're very good. They have nice, punchy bass, a wonderful midrange, and a very good - but not top-notch treble region.

Regarding comfort, make sure you get the ones with the larger ear pads. I had the ones with the smaller ones, and they weren't comfortable for me, especially when I wore my glasses.

So on to portability. They are very portable in some respects, but not others. They are very lightweight and easy to drive. However, they have a really wide headband and they're not foldable.

This may sound negative, but overall, I liked them, I just couldn't love them because of the fit issues.

For $300, they're really good, but I prefer the Audeze Sine and - surprisingly - the RBH HP-2 for portable use.

Ultimately, they're really good for metal, if you don't mind slightly boosted bass, don't mind the fit, and
love the styling.

If possible, try to listen to them first to find out if you find them comfortable.

Let me know if you want to know anything more specific. I only had them a few weeks due to the fit issues, but I thought they were really good for the price.

Good luck either way!

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #4,715 of 12,302
I never post anymore because I listen to Dreamless by Fallujah, Misery by Disentomb, and Lucid Dawn by Arkaik on repeat most days, if I even get an opportunity for some headphone time, which is rare anymore.

Thanks for all of the great picks for this year. Hope I have time around Christmas to go back 100 pages and actually really listen to some stuff.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #4,716 of 12,302
OK boys, I want to dive into the grado world. I have had an sr80e for about a year now, just love it and am ready for something more impressive. Which of the following do you guys like best with metal?
Rs2e
Rs1e
Ps500e
Gs1000e

Not sure how different the e editions are from the i, but I preferred the 325is to RS1i for metal, though the former was definitely brighter sounding so YMMV. From the analysis I've seen of the PS500 it seems to be tuned quite differently and a bit flatter so I do think it might be better suited to metal, where the other might be a bit peaky in some areas. From what I remember many preferred the SR225 for metal if you are looking for something a little more affordable.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #4,717 of 12,302
I never post anymore because I listen to Dreamless by Fallujah, Misery by Disentomb, and Lucid Dawn by Arkaik on repeat most days, if I even get an opportunity for some headphone time, which is rare anymore.

Thanks for all of the great picks for this year. Hope I have time around Christmas to go back 100 pages and actually really listen to some stuff.

I'm in a similar boat. All my time is devoted to work/school. After I'm done with school...MOAR school.

I'm hoping to get some time with the HD800S and Primes on some progressive metal: Haken, Dream Theater etc, this weekend.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #4,718 of 12,302
Hope all my friends here are doing well!

Should I keep my Alpha Primes or my Beyerdynamic DT-1770s?

I'll be using these for gaming and music. The Beyers are great out of my LG V10, but the Primes need something decent to shine. I just sold my Sound Blaster X7, so I have a budget around $300 for something (trans)portable. I'm leaning towards the iFi Micro iDSD or the Sound Blaster E5, if I want to be cheap.

What would you guys do?

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4,720 of 12,302
Cheapest Lake People amp available BNIB or affordable used Lake People/Violectric amp. Covers high current and voltage needs for a wide range of headphones. Pre-gain dip switches, so you have plenty of play with the potentiometer. Low noise floor. Ex. G103 Review.

I know they're great amps, but are they portable?

I need something portable for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back