Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 2, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,381 of 12,322
Quote:

Yes. It is easily one of the most popular cans in this thread.

Right on. The praise is well deserved. It would be my drug of choice for stoner/doom stuff, personally (again, the pre-fazor version!). All these other recommendations you've been getting are really good though. 

Would you recommend the LCD-2 over the HE500/HE400i then?  

Quote:

Not necessarily. There just happens to be a lot of planars with a sound that is more conducive to doom. The HD650 is a fine option too for your genre of choice, though I personally would prefer pretty much any headphone recommended above to the HD650 (IMHO, YMMV, etc. Some people love it, and that's totally cool.). I found I preferred the HE500 10 times out of 10 for songs at which the HD650 generally excelled.

Well I was thinking that maybe it might be a good idea to have a planar and a dynamic phone, but I didnt want to snub one of the tried and true models just because of something new.  The better bass alone will probably help doom a ton for me, because that's exactly what I find that my K702s lack in, even with the bass mod.  I can hear the lower bass, but it just doesnt feel organic and rich in any way.

Quote:
  On the HE400i and HE500 - not as simple as it seems. In stock form, I think the HE400i is the better choice by a very, very slight margin. Modded (fuzzor, grills, pads and new cable), I think the HE500 beats it quite handily and easily rivals the much more expensive Audeze LCD-X & XC in terms of overall sound quality. It takes a little time and TLC, but the work is well worth it, IMO.

In terms of sonic differences between the two, the 500 is a bit more laid back with more body and weight, whereas the 400i is more upfront and aggressive sounding. Both great headphones. Slightly different flavors.

Well im not afraid to do modifications (I made a higher end cable for my K702s and did the bass mod), so it sounds like you would recommend the HE500 then.  From what you are describing it sounds like the mids are fuller on the HE500, while also retaining the same thickness down through the lower frequencies.  Are the highs recessed in comparison with the HE400i?  Or is it just in the mids where they really differ?

May 2, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #4,382 of 12,322
Ime, between all these headphones (have owned them all at one point) the lcd2 is the most organic/speaker like. With planar, it is not just the amount of kind of bass, but the speed of attack and decay rate that make them so well suited to metal. Very resolving.

For a doom diet for me it is a no brainer, lcd2. The 400i are amazing metal headphones, but they are more for the speed metal genres. Doom on 400i is not as fulfilling as on the lcd2 series, as I just don't get the same thick and tasty mids with the 400i ad lcd2. Also, when doom calls the doom you will really appreciate the bottomless and full low end the LCD series brings to the table.

In general, I am not a fan of sennheiser 6xx series for metal as it always leaves me wanting some speed, precision, atmosphere, thickness, etc.

May 2, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #4,384 of 12,322
Well im not afraid to do modifications (I made a higher end cable for my K702s and did the bass mod), so it sounds like you would recommend the HE500 then.  From what you are describing it sounds like the mids are fuller on the HE500, while also retaining the same thickness down through the lower frequencies.  Are the highs recessed in comparison with the HE400i?  Or is it just in the mids where they really differ?

I'm really just trying to help you make an informed decision, rather than just throwing out a recommendation.

Well, the HE400i is a little more bouncy on the bottom end whereas the HE500 as a little more weight and impact with a little less speed. The HE500 has a bit more extension and rumble in the low bass. Double bass is a little more fun on the HE400i. Slower, more methodical kicks will slam harder on the HE500. The LCD-2 is a best of both worlds approach, with great speed, impact and rumble.

The LCD-2 and HE500 are the most lush and lower-mid-centric. The HE400i will be a little more neutral through the mids, with a touch better balance with the upper mids. That will give the guitars a bit more grit, edge and sparkle... Whereas the the LCD-2 and HE500 will feel more weighty due to the low end emphasis.

Up top, the HE400i will offer the most treble sparkle (probably the closest to what you're used to with the AKG), but it's not bright or hot up top. It is nicely neutral. The HE500 (modded) is slightly darker than neutral, but not by much. It is the characteristic "hi-fi" sound. Extension is very good, it doesn't feel rolled. The LCD-2 is the darkest of the three, but I think they found a good balance. It is very non-fatiguing, but not annoyingly rolled off.

May 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,385 of 12,322
Ime, between all these headphones (have owned them all at one point) the lcd2 is the most organic/speaker like. With planar, it is not just the amount of kind of bass, but the speed of attack and decay rate that make them so well suited to metal. Very resolving.

For a doom diet for me it is a no brainer, lcd2. The 400i are amazing metal headphones, but they are more for the speed metal genres. Doom on 400i is not as fulfilling as on the lcd2 series, as I just don't get the same thick and tasty mids with the 400i ad lcd2. Also, when doom calls the doom you will really appreciate the bottomless and full low end the LCD series brings to the table.

In general, I am not a fan of sennheiser 6xx series for metal as it always leaves me wanting some speed, precision, atmosphere, thickness, etc.

Doom itself is a pretty broad classification. I feel my LCD2's shine with Death/Doom, Funeral Doom and the like. Basically anything abyssal and murky. Candlemass and Weird Light do get a nicer lower end but the percussion sounds thin (just the style of the recording honestly).

400i's are pretty much jack-of-all-trades, as they are great with essentially all extreme metal but never outright mind blowing. 

When it comes to Black Metal, Speed Metal, all spheres of Thrash and Crust Punk, the ATH-AD900X blows my damn mind with its speed and clarity. 

May 3, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4,387 of 12,322

^This. Subjectively speaking, the pre-fazor LCD-2 would be my choice for a doom-heavy diet, as well.

May 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #4,388 of 12,322
As an owner of very accurate speakers and the LCD-2 Fazor, I can attest that the LCD-2 is the most speaker-like headphone I've ever heard. Also, as a fan of sludge and doom metal, as my name would imply, I bought the LCD-2 to specifically enjoy said genres, and I would never have it any other way. It is the most satisfying sludge metal experience ever. I've been addicted to Khemmis lately, and damn, it's fantastic. 

May 3, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,389 of 12,322
As an owner of very accurate speakers and the LCD-2 Fazor, I can attest that the LCD-2 is the most speaker-like headphone I've ever heard. Also, as a fan of sludge and doom metal, as my name would imply, I bought the LCD-2 to specifically enjoy said genres, and I would never have it any other way. It is the most satisfying sludge metal experience ever. I've been addicted to Khemmis lately, and damn, it's fantastic. 

Agreed on that combo for sure.

May 3, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #4,390 of 12,322
Anyone reading this thread anonymously looking for metal HPs (and I'm sure there are many lurkers) would have to come to the conclusion that the LCD-2  is the sweet spot for metal audiophiles on this thread that tick the most boxes....jack of all trades perhaps.

Curious about the Ether and will have to listen more attentively at the next meet I attend. My impressions which I've posted before with a very quick listen was that it was light and airy and dynamic; appealing overall but lacking bass. Some of you have different impressions. Perhaps the source gear makes the difference. Although the set up I listened on (I believe) was from a DAP-Cavelli Liquid Carbon which I've read provides some mid bass boost and should have added a little extra body to the low end.

May 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #4,391 of 12,322
The LCD-2 does sound like fun with metal, especially doom. Still kind of glad I went with the 400i as I like my metal to sound more aggressive and mid-focused and my impression of the LCD-2 was that it's a little more warm and with more bass emphasis than I would prefer.

But I'm weird, the HE-560 is my favorite for metal right now, I'm not going to try to convince anyone why and I would suspect many don't like it with metal and can see why but I'm really liking just about any genre I listen to on them.

May 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #4,392 of 12,322
The LCD-2 does sound like fun with metal, especially doom. Still kind of glad I went with the 400i as I like my metal to sound more aggressive and mid-focused and my impression of the LCD-2 was that it's a little more warm and with more bass emphasis than I would prefer.

But I'm weird, the HE-560 is my favorite for metal right now, I'm not going to try to convince anyone why and I would suspect many don't like it with metal and can see why but I'm really liking just about any genre I listen to on them.

The HE560 is fantastic for metal. I've recommended it on here more times than I can count. The stock cable is just okay, but with the Wywires red cable, it's like 95% of the way to the Ether.

May 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #4,393 of 12,322
The HE560 is fantastic for metal. I've recommended it on here more times than I can count. The stock cable is just okay, but with the Wywires red cable, it's like 95% of the way to the Ether.

I've got a Norne Vanquish on order for them. I hate how the stock cable twists and tangles so easily.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes them for metal though, I can totally see why some don't but for black metal especially I think they are just killer. The wide soundstage and great detail and imaging really make for immersive listening.

May 3, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4,394 of 12,322
  I've got a Norne Vanquish on order for them. I hate how the stock cable twists and tangles so easily.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes them for metal though, I can totally see why some don't but for black metal especially I think they are just killer. The wide soundstage and great detail and imaging really make for immersive listening.

Sweet. Let me know how that one turns out!

Yes. I also find the HE560 has the appropriate clarity, quickness, impact and incisiveness for prog, tech death, thrash, etc.

May 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,395 of 12,322

Hmm, I don't know if I agree with that claim...  Wywires makes some good cables, but the HE-560 is just not up to par with the Ether for micro-detail.  I suppose it's not super noticeable until you get into the stupidly-priced amps though; I never noticed the lack of detail on my 560 until I got my Liquid Crimson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back