Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #4,352 of 12,322

Have you heard the song The Architect ?

Kids,and what they consider metal these days....

Now get off my damn lawn

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #4,355 of 12,322

lol

I have been listening to Metal music since 1980 my friend!

Its all good....Im just showing my age.

I am as old school as it gets.Ive tried listening to speed/thrash/black/death/neu/goth/etc... and just dont like it.
Dont dig on downtuning either.

At the moment the only metal bands I like that arent from the 80s is Opeth,Agalloch and Parasite Inc.

Rock on!

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #4,356 of 12,322

I am as old school as it gets.Ive tried listening to speed/thrash/black/death/neu/goth/etc... and just dont like it.

At the moment the only metal bands I like that arent from the 80s is Opeth,Agalloch and Parasite Inc.

Rock on!

I'm also old school but I like the new bands like Leprous, Haken, Intronaut, Gojira or Tesseract.

I started with Maiden, Scorpions, Ozzy, Slayer and these days I'm more into bands like Opeth, Katatonia, Tool, Enslaved, etc.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,357 of 12,322

Rock on!

That's not metal, that's the opening act!

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4,358 of 12,322
I'll just leave this here...metal as ******

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #4,359 of 12,322
guys I'm as old as you

I'm also old school but I like the new bands like Leprous, Haken, Intronaut, Gojira or Tesseract.

I started with Maiden, Scorpions, Ozzy, Slayer and these days I'm more into bands like Opeth, Katatonia, Tool, Enslaved, etc.

Guys I'm as old or maybe older than you are and I love all the old stuff but I'm totally on board with a lot of extreme metal, too. Love the audiophile metal above but I like it dirty and nasty as well. Variety is the spice....you know?

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,360 of 12,322
  I can't recommend Forza Audio Works highly enough, Mark. I think the Noir cable would be perfect for the Dharma, and it's less than a quarter of the cost of a Dana Cable, plus the Forza cables look really metal. The Noir cable tends to help alleviate bass issues, but, as always, YMMV.

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

I've been researching and I'm sort of torn between the Forza Noir and the Norne Draug 2. Both extremely well reviewed. It's challenging not being able to audition cables but I'll have to schiit or get of the pot pretty soon. It looks like they're at similar price points, the Noir might be a little less. Hansotek, I appreciate your input. You've always post great ideas and have a handle on some killer gear. But, as good as I'm sure the Danas are, I can't justify spending over 50% of the value of my Dharma. Although I get the argument of making your headphone sound as good as they can rather than buying multiple HPs kind of like improving my stereo with similar upgrades. But, there's a point where you have to draw the line. I think for me the $3-400'ish range for a basically 1K HP is pretty much my cap.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,362 of 12,322
I've been researching and I'm sort of torn between the Forza Noir and the Norne Draug 2. Both extremely well reviewed. It's challenging not being able to audition cables but I'll have to schiit or get of the pot pretty soon. It looks like they're at similar price points, the Noir might be a little less. Hansotek, I appreciate your input. You've always post great ideas and have a handle on some killer gear. But, as good as I'm sure the Danas are, I can't justify spending over 50% of the value of my Dharma. Although I get the argument of making your headphone sound as good as they can rather than buying multiple HPs kind of like improving my stereo with similar upgrades. But, there's a point where you have to draw the line. I think for me the $3-400'ish range for a basically 1K HP is pretty much my cap.

Dude, I feel ya. Really. Hearing them makes a great case for why the price is that high, BUT DAMN, the price is still that high, lol!

If you do ever get a chance to hear his cables (and try one Dana's famous A/B tests) please do, and tell me what you think. I checked to see if they were on the Capital Audio Fest roster, but I didn't see them.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #4,363 of 12,322
delete

May 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4,364 of 12,322

I think either cable will do you very well. They both use high purity copper in a big, beefy, litz cable. The only thing is that people report bass improvements with the Noir, and I don't know anything about the Draug cable. But these are cables, so YMMV.

May 2, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,365 of 12,322
Do you guys like the closed headphones for metal better than open cans, or are they generally still just for sound isolation purposes (like at a desk job) or on the go use?  I see a lot of closed HP discussion and it just got me curious.

I am considering the idea of buying another set of headphones to complement my AKG K702s, basically just for listening to metal.  I like a lot of the qualities of the K702, but I am finding that the extra large soundstage and the lack of a low end attack make things like doom metal sound much too thin and somewhat boring.  Judging from the general consensus that I see here, I should just get the LCD-2 and bask in the warmth and glory of planar magnetic goodness and be on my way.  I hate to sound frugal, but I dont want to spend ~$1000 on a set of cans, so I am pursuing options instead at the more competitive ~$500 range.

I did some research a few years ago, and was just about to purchase the HD650s until I lost my Westone W4s and had to buy a new set of IEMs instead (ER4).  But recently ive also been seeing some really good things about the HE400 line, and now im not so sure which one I should get.  I know that 'best' is subjective, but what do you guys think is the best ~$500 headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back