Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #3,901 of 12,302
My understanding is that the tidal windows app now provides native bitperfect streaming.

FWIW, your original message was brief to the point of incomprehension.

I suppose it does. Pardon my laziness in my reply earlier. I'm rather bitter from missing the local head-fi meet today.

We would have liked to have seen you! Sorry you missed it.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #3,902 of 12,302
The 560 is definitely on a different level in terms of soundstage and resolution. I can try and A/B them at the Chicago meet next weekend. I've never heard them back-to-back so it is tough to compare the particulars.

You're the man!

The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the 560 is that it's considered a bit brighter than the HE-400i. 

Long-term, the 560 is probably a good bet, as the He-400i probably won't hold its value as well, because there have been so many sales for it recently. 

I still have to check out your eraser mod. I'll probably try it out tomorrow, once I can buy the eraser, lol. :)

I didn't see a single HE560 at the meet today. You got one anyway, so it doesn't matter, but I did look!

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,904 of 12,302
Hey folks, is there any headphone that is similar to the TH-X00 that doesn't cost silly amounts of money? I dropped out of the current drop because of wait time and lack of trust in third party shippers.

I've looked at the HE-400i's and I'm not very sure about them yet.

My current setup is Tidal HiFi -> Xonar STX II as DAC -> Project Polaris -> DT770 Pro 80's and Yamaha HPH-MT220.

I feel I like the Yamaha's a bit more, but the comfort is a serious issue and I'm getting some buzz when connected to the Polaris. I'm sort of a basshead, I love feeling the bass and bass guitars are probably my favorite instrument when well articulated(? kind of new to the lingo.)

I listen to many genres, but metal is the most important. All-rounder recommendations are welcome.

I can't specify a budget as the prices in Norway do not correlate well to the dollar prices atm.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #3,905 of 12,302
  Hey folks, is there any headphone that is similar to the TH-X00 that doesn't cost silly amounts of money? I dropped out of the current drop because of wait time and lack of trust in third party shippers.

I've looked at the HE-400i's and I'm not very sure about them yet.

My current setup is Tidal HiFi -> Xonar STX II as DAC -> Project Polaris -> DT770 Pro 80's and Yamaha HPH-MT220.

I feel I like the Yamaha's a bit more, but the comfort is a serious issue and I'm getting some buzz when connected to the Polaris. I'm sort of a basshead, I love feeling the bass and bass guitars are probably my favorite instrument when well articulated(? kind of new to the lingo.)

I listen to many genres, but metal is the most important. All-rounder recommendations are welcome.

I can't specify a budget as the prices in Norway do not correlate well to the dollar prices atm.

Thanks.

HE400i would probably be a good pick for you, IMO. Otherwise you can probably grab a used last-generation HE400 on the cheap, which is quite bass-forward and well articulated. Should you find you need a little more energy from the guitars, you can always swap to the current generation pads down the road. I still listen to my HE400's pretty frequently, even with lots of other options available.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,906 of 12,302

HE400i would probably be a good pick for you, IMO. Otherwise you can probably grab a used last-generation HE400 on the cheap, which is quite bass-forward and well articulated. Should you find you need a little more energy from the guitars, you can always swap to the current generation pads down the road. I still listen to my HE400's pretty frequently, even with lots of other options available.

I agree with the he400 suggestion. The beauty with the thx00 is the price for the sound you are getting. If you want something with similar bass profile you need to spend more. The 400 is a good choice for reasonable price and solid bass. I think there is one for $200 in the classifieds.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,907 of 12,302
Neat, getting a TH-X00 costs about the same to get to Norway as a 400i costs here. There is also the DT1770 that I've looked at but I assume it's a bit too close to my DT770's and therefore kind of redundant. I'll definitely sleep on the 400i's though.

What kind of headphone would I have to look at to get something similar to the X00's though?

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,908 of 12,302
  Neat, getting a TH-X00 costs about the same to get to Norway as a 400i costs here. There is also the DT1770 that I've looked at but I assume it's a bit too close to my DT770's and therefore kind of redundant. I'll definitely sleep on the 400i's though.

What kind of headphone would I have to look at to get something similar to the X00's though?

@bavinck is right. You're not going to get anything with that type of bass until you get into the more expensive fostex models. The Hifiman is the cheaper and safer bet. And the bass is pretty amazing. I still listen to my HE400 with a lot of regularity.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #3,909 of 12,302
I see, will probably land on the 400i's then, could not find any 400's in the classifieds, nor does the weight complaint some people have had really make me want then. The only question I have is how are the 400i's for low level listening?

I've become more concious of listening volume lately, tinnitus at 19 isn't all that great even though I've had it for as long as I can remember. My hearing also cuts off around 17kHz, which I'd guess is pretty low for 19 years old.

If the Fostexes ever drop again without an absurd waiting time I might grab a pair if funds allow it. The Fostex sound seems up my alley, however I don't really know how the treble would affect me on something like the 900's. Though I found the DT770's sibilant and sharp on some tracks when using the first STX card, I don't really notice it anymore. Might be because I listen at a lower volume now though, or my hearing has gotten worse. I have no idea what kind of volume I was listening at before.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,910 of 12,302
I see, will probably land on the 400i's then, could not find any 400's in the classifieds, nor does the weight complaint some people have had really make me want then. The only question I have is how are the 400i's for low level listening?

I've become more concious of listening volume lately, tinnitus at 19 isn't all that great even though I've had it for as long as I can remember. My hearing also cuts off around 17kHz, which I'd guess is pretty low for 19 years old.

If the Fostexes ever drop again without an absurd waiting time I might grab a pair if funds allow it. The Fostex sound seems up my alley, however I don't really know how the treble would affect me on something like the 900's. Though I found the DT770's sibilant and sharp on some tracks when using the first STX card, I don't really notice it anymore. Might be because I listen at a lower volume now though, or my hearing has gotten worse. I have no idea what kind of volume I was listening at before.

Better amplification and lower listening volumes tend to help quite a bit with sibilance (deleting the headphone, of course). If you are concerned about your hearing, the HiFiMAN is probably a better choice anyway, since you'll feel less physical pressure on your eardrum vs. a closed headphone. I tend to feel a bit of physical discomfort when I use closed headphones for any extended period.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,911 of 12,302
Better amplification and lower listening volumes tend to help quite a bit with sibilance (deleting the headphone, of course). If you are concerned about your hearing, the HiFiMAN is probably a better choice anyway, since you'll feel less physical pressure on your eardrum vs. a closed headphone. I tend to feel a bit of physical discomfort when I use closed headphones for any extended period.

I kind of like the physical pressure feeling when it's just barely noticable, too much and it becomes fatiguing very quickly.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions to both you and bavinck. Will most likely order the 400i's tomorrow. Will be interesting to hear both my first open phones and planar magnetic phones at the same time.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,912 of 12,302

I kind of like the physical pressure feeling when it's just barely noticable, too much and it becomes fatiguing very quickly.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions to both you and bavinck. Will most likely order the 400i's tomorrow. Will be interesting to hear both my first open phones and planar magnetic phones at the same time.

No problem. That's what we're here for!

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,913 of 12,302
Enjoy the 400i. It might take some getting used to the way a planar does bass. However, once you do I bet you will love the detail, texture and authority of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back