Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 2, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3,571 of 12,322
Would any of you fine people have any recommendations for someone who listens to a wide variety of metal (well, except for nu and industrial really) and is attempting to assemble their first decent quality headphone system? I'm trying to go for a budget of €400 - €500 for everything (headphone, amp, DAC etc). Was looking at Audio Technica ATH-AD900X as the headphones but really am clueless for what's available in the €100-€200 range.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,572 of 12,322
Deezer over Sonos, Spotify, CD's ripped to FLAC, and high-rez DVD-A or Blu-ray

How does everyone here get their music nowadays? CD, vinyl, streaming, HD Tracks, 8-track tapes, laser discs?

I liked Spotify's ui and features, but think Tidal sounds a little better.

Any other recommendations?

It took me a few years to figure out what I wanted and put the pieces together. Like Swipers, I use Sonos also. But, I really haven’t gone the hi res route.

I invested pretty heavily into Sonos. So, I’ve got Sonos set in several room including a main system dedicated listening room/computer room.  I kind of vacillate between CDs and making playlists from my music library.

My preference is to listen to my dedicated 2 channel stereo speaker system. Headphones rig integrated through a DAC/preamp with a HP amp that has balanced and unbalanced HP outs which is part of my stereo.

I listen to my music through Sonos and a trad CDP. I pretty much rip everything into lossless files that my Sonos system picks up from a NAS. With my DAC/pre/HP amp the sound is pretty spot on for me.

Then, I have some additional Sonos speakers in my kitchen and a Sonos sound bar and sub for my TV/family room to simulate a kind of surround sound. I’ll use the TV/play bar/sub configuration for movies/TV or for music.

I do like the wireless speaker capability. I like being able to hear my ripped files through my TV Sonos based sound system when I want to…. Being able to play my music in various rooms or having different music in different rooms.

I stream a little on Spotify, but mostly to audition music that I’ll either purchase later for my library or pass on.

Then, on the go-at the gym, taking the dogs for a walk, old school Ipod and some very meh IEMs that do the trick, nothing fancy there.

I’m pretty happy with my system, everything pretty B+ solid, but I’d love to upgrade my speakers someday to something truly outstanding. For now, it’s all good. Finally, I can say, I’m not obsessing over any additional piece except a HP upgrade.

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #3,573 of 12,322
Would any of you fine people have any recommendations for someone who listens to a wide variety of metal (well, except for nu and industrial really) and is attempting to assemble their first decent quality headphone system? I'm trying to go for a budget of €400 - €500 for everything (headphone, amp, DAC etc). Was looking at Audio Technica ATH-AD900X as the headphones but really am clueless for what's available in the €100-€200 range.

I have fallen in love with the ad900x. I listen to mostly edm but they are very good with metal too - fast, energetic, on the dry side (no mid-bass bloat), but has a bass that is still very punchy. I have tried many of the big names - akg q701, hd 650, psb m4u2 and these are way more fun. They lack some accuracy, but if accentuated treble doesnt bother you (I love it), these headphones are an absolute dream, really.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #3,574 of 12,322
Anyone with the he 400i think they're a bit overkill for mainly listening to metal? Trying to settle on a pair and be done with it, but I got the X2 thinking I'd get an all-arounder but they're really hit or miss for metal, and even when they hit it's because of liberal use of EQ. In other words, would I be doing more of the same if I went for the 400i, by getting an otherwise solid pair of headphones but ones that are a little too hi fi for metal? 

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,575 of 12,322
Anyone with the he 400i think they're a bit overkill for mainly listening to metal? Trying to settle on a pair and be done with it, but I got the X2 thinking I'd get an all-arounder but they're really hit or miss for metal, and even when they hit it's because of liberal use of EQ. In other words, would I be doing more of the same if I went for the 400i, by getting an otherwise solid pair of headphones but ones that are a little too hi fi for metal? 

I did not like the x2 for metal at all. The sound to me was thick, slow and veiled. The he400i to my ears is near perfect for metal, neutral, deep and fast bass and a nice E sparkle on top for metal tracks. Very detailed so complex metal tracks are easy to hear what is going on.

If I didn't need a closed pair of headphones I would have kept my 400i for all music, not just metal. Highly recommended.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,576 of 12,322
Same thoughts on the X2 - some odd veiling going on there, but lush for other genres that I rarely listen to. No veiling with the 400i then? A completely different beast of planar proportions? I would no doubt jump on these but I do wish it were possible to get that great sound out of closed cans. Always a trade off somewhere. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3,577 of 12,322
It took me a few years to figure out what I wanted and put the pieces together. Like Swipers, I use Sonos also. But, I really haven’t gone the hi res route.

I invested pretty heavily into Sonos. So, I’ve got Sonos set in several room including a main system dedicated listening room/computer room.  I kind of vacillate between CDs and making playlists from my music library.

My preference is to listen to my dedicated 2 channel stereo speaker system. Headphones rig integrated through a DAC/preamp with a HP amp that has balanced and unbalanced HP outs which is part of my stereo.

I listen to my music through Sonos and a trad CDP. I pretty much rip everything into lossless files that my Sonos system picks up from a NAS. With my DAC/pre/HP amp the sound is pretty spot on for me.

Then, I have some additional Sonos speakers in my kitchen and a Sonos sound bar and sub for my TV/family room to simulate a kind of surround sound. I’ll use the TV/play bar/sub configuration for movies/TV or for music.

I do like the wireless speaker capability. I like being able to hear my ripped files through my TV Sonos based sound system when I want to…. Being able to play my music in various rooms or having different music in different rooms.

I stream a little on Spotify, but mostly to audition music that I’ll either purchase later for my library or pass on.

Then, on the go-at the gym, taking the dogs for a walk, old school Ipod and some very meh IEMs that do the trick, nothing fancy there.

I’m pretty happy with my system, everything pretty B+ solid, but I’d love to upgrade my speakers someday to something truly outstanding. For now, it’s all good. Finally, I can say, I’m not obsessing over any additional piece except a HP upgrade.

Nice!

Do you think your Sonos setup sounds as good as Spotify @ 320kbs through a decent setup? That's my personal line where I start to see diminishing returns from a price/performance ratio, but all my gear is midfi, so YMMV.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,578 of 12,322
Same thoughts on the X2 - some odd veiling going on there, but lush for other genres that I rarely listen to. No veiling with the 400i then? A completely different beast of planar proportions? I would no doubt jump on these but I do wish it were possible to get that great sound out of closed cans. Always a trade off somewhere. Thanks for the reply.

Alpha primes are pretty amazing, but much more expensive.

No veil with the 400i. Little peak around 10khz that adds some nice sparkle to my ears.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #3,584 of 12,322
Wat?

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #3,585 of 12,322
LMAO!

Sorry. The Fidelio X2 thread is a train wreck I can't stop watching. I thought madwolfa set up another account with the new email he uses to order the X2, only to return it. But then, spam headfi about how amazing it is.

/rant over

I read the innerfidelity review of the x2 when it was first released, which prompted me to buy it. An improved hd600??? Let's just say the x2 was sold and I do not read innerfidelity reviews anymore....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back