Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 21, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3,260 of 12,302
I'll chime in and say the PS500 is probably my favorite of their line, with the SR325 in a fairly distant second. Those have the most "even" sound, to my ears. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3,261 of 12,302
Dec 21, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3,264 of 12,302
I prefer my HE6 to my Ethers by a significant margin (both open and C), and not just with metal. I wish it were otherwise because the Ether is so damn comfy and good looking, but there it is.

Can't really argue with that. I will say, at least the Ether is easy enough to power that it gives you more amping options. And it really tells you what those amps can do, as it is so transparent relative to the gear chain. There's a good chance it will be my next headphone purchase. It can't beat the HE-6 on a well matched amp, though.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,265 of 12,302
I do listen to a lot of Kamelot and Epica, and a little bit of Dream Theater...

I like Symphony X and Opeth, just haven't added anything to my collection from them yet.

I like Epica, though Dream Theater's vocalist annoys me 

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,268 of 12,302
For the few people helping me and suggesting Grado and AKG, what do you guys think about the Q701? It's currently a lightning deal on amazon for $130.

I had the AKG K7XX (and replaced it with the X2s) which are very similar to the Q701s, but with a bit more bass. It was a very good headphone... for certain applications: Gaming, orchestral and Jazz were good, especially gaming. I found it a bit dull and laid-back for metal.

Definitely a good headphone, imo, but not great for metal.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,269 of 12,302
  Saying metal is "poorly recorded" is wildly misleading anyway. Yes, some of it is, but tons of the "bad" recordings are done with 100% intention. Burzum and Xasthur albums don't sound like that because they lacked the capability of making clearer recordings, that was how they were meant to be.

Xasthur 
smile.gif
haaaa nice nice exemple ,  let's say a To Violate the Obvious with a "clear production" , would have been something totaly different , perahs i wouldn't like it as much as it is ...

I tend to like many of this "poorly recorded" albums (mostly on Black Metal , sometimes they even call it Raw Black Metal) , so yeah "poorly recorded" don't always match .

It's more enjoyable than "relatively clean sounding production" that have clipping issues ... (Guitars  making some times  shhcchh sound : /  , well peraphs not the best way to describe it , but i guess people will figure what i am trying to say
redface.gif
) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back