Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 10, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,921 of 12,302
  Started "Best headphones for jazz" thread. Welcome to another side of musical power )
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777266/best-headphones-for-jazz

I'm going to check it out. I"m looking for one HP to rule them all with my amp/DAC includign jazz!

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,922 of 12,302
Aug 10, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,923 of 12,302
  @markm1 and others interested in the Enigma Acoustic Dharma, I just posted two extended impressions (which basically amount to a full review, lol!) in the Dharma thread. See posts #425 and #426 on this page:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/420

Going there now...thanks for the heads-up
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,926 of 12,302
Aug 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,927 of 12,302
  Have anyone of you metalheads tested the ETHER or the HE-1000 (the impression threads are mostly sentered around classical and so-called "critical listening"-music 
duggehsmile.png
 )?

I have plans to post mini-reviews on both in about two weeks. First impressions - I like both of these headphones, but their primary talents are not on metal.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,928 of 12,302
  Have anyone of you metalheads tested the ETHER or the HE-1000 (the impression threads are mostly sentered around classical and so-called "critical listening"-music 
duggehsmile.png
 )?

I recently demoed HE 1000 on two different occasions and for my ears there are better headphones for metal .

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,929 of 12,302
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking to replace my awesome LCD-2s, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. The only thing I know is that I'm not going to get a LCD-series headphone due to the horrible ergonomics of that series.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,930 of 12,302
  Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking to replace my awesome LCD-2s, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. The only thing I know is that I'm not going to get a LCD-series headphone due to the horrible ergonomics of that series.

What do you want to improve/change (except of ergonomics)?

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,931 of 12,302
I'm really bad with audiophile lingo, but the main thing I miss compared to my speaker setup is clarity/separation in the mids/highs and the distinct slam I get in the lows/bass (you know when a drummer hits a big tom-tom or bass drum with alot of force). 

The rest of my rig consists of Meier Audio Corda Concerto / StageDAC. These are also subject to upgrades in the long run.

I mainly listen to black, death and progressive metal.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,932 of 12,302
Have anyone of you metalheads tested the ETHER or the HE-1000 (the impression threads are mostly sentered around classical and so-called "critical listening"-music :duggfloat:  )?

I, personally, thought the Ether was very good for metal. It's very fast, resolving and uncolored. I'll admit however, that it's not for everybody. Some people may find it a bit boring.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,933 of 12,302
I, personally, thought the Ether was very good for metal. It's very fast, resolving and uncolored. I'll admit however, that it's not for everybody. Some people may find it a bit boring.

For me the problem is not their neutrality (actually I would call them "neutral-but-not-boring-neutral"), but a lack of punch, they're too delicate for uncompromise metal performance.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,934 of 12,302
  I'm really bad with audiophile lingo, but the main thing I miss compared to my speaker setup is clarity/separation in the mids/highs and the distinct slam I get in the lows/bass (you know when a drummer hits a big tom-tom or bass drum with alot of force). 

The rest of my rig consists of Meier Audio Corda Concerto / StageDAC. These are also subject to upgrades in the long run.

I'm not really sure, that understand you direction well, but I think, that Audeze LCD-X, AKG K812, Fostex TH-900, Ultrasone Signature PRO are worth a try for you. HE-6 - more step ahead, but you'll need more seriously invest in amplification. And absolute summit in this conception - Abyss. (Oops, summit = abyss )))

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,935 of 12,302

I'm not really sure, that understand you direction well, but I think, that Audeze LCD-X, AKG K812, Fostex TH-900, Ultrasone Signature PRO are worth a try for you. HE-6 - more step ahead, but you'll need more seriously invest in amplification. And absolute summit in this conception - Abyss. (Oops, summit = abyss )))

Definitely agree on the HE-6 and TH-900 as great options for @LarsP. The HE-6 is going to do the best job of getting you what you want, but the Meier won't be enough to get it there. You'll need to grab a Class-A Speaker amp to get the most out of it (or something like a DNA Stratus or Ray Samuels Dark Star with a K1K output!). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back