Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 12, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,216 of 12,298
  I suppose that is were we differ in opinion =) I enjoy looking for the right headphone (or anything else, really), but buying and selling lots of gear is not fun to me. Trying gear is ok, if only to get an idea of what sound to expect from different headphones and to get a reference for reading reviews. But buying lots of stuff that I know I will not like that much seems kind of pointless.

The problem is that to really appreciate headphones (I don't mean every piece of junk, but potentially interesting cans), you have to spend with them some time. For me it takes about two weeks. First and second impressions could be deeply wrong. I agree with you, buy/sell process is not too exciting, so I prefer to borrow gear, generally in exchange for something in my collection.

May 12, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,217 of 12,298
  I feel that V shaped are best for metal, and then the situation is split between those who want forward mids and those who want more soundstage. 

You oversimplify a bit, I use this table for reference of metal subgenres / headphones signature match.

May 12, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,218 of 12,298

>cabling making audible difference for hd650
>hd800 rated relatively poorly for *every* genre

Oh boy here we go...

Yes, because the HD800 is not a good headphones for listening to heavy metal whatsoever. It sounds placid and limp, too spacious and lacks a feeling of grunt or aggression with these genres. My opinion on their sound for heavy metal, coming from someone who owned them for 6 months and has heard them on quite a number of different systems.

The HD800 works and is outstanding for many genres, just not metal.

False. Put them with some well-produced progressive metal and they absolutely sing.

May 12, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,219 of 12,298
  The problem is that to really appreciate headphones (I don't mean every piece of junk, but potentially interesting cans), you have to spend with them some time. For me it takes about two weeks. First and second impressions could be deeply wrong. I agree with you, buy/sell process is not too exciting, so I prefer to borrow gear, generally in exchange for something in my collection.

If I could find someone to borrow gear from, I would like to do it that way, too. Auditioning in the store is usually not quite ideal in terms of having the same upstream gear for a fair comparison, or that everything has had their burn-in (I get suspicious when when a HD650 has very loose bass control when a HD600 doesn't, or when a FSP sounds very tizzy and a HD600 sounds much clearer).

May 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,220 of 12,298
Interestingly at times the headphones can sound exciting but after two weeks you start to think there is a place in the signature where information is hiding.

Color in headphones can obscure a strong range of frequency traits. Still if your attention is only on one sonic aspect at the store you may not notice what is missing till you get home.

Kind of like buying a car and not noticing a dent.

The whole system needs synergy also. I believe sometimes headphones will cover aspects of a system you want covered.

I'm now listening to a really flat combination and even if it seems bass light, I'm just waiting to adjust as I think there is musical information there.:rolleyes:

May 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,221 of 12,298
  I feel that V shaped are best for metal, and then the situation is split between those who want forward mids and those who want more soundstage. 

There is always sennheiser hd380 pro with great soundstage AND forward mids!

I would still put the best headphones for metalsomething with harsh treble, like ultrasone headphones, headphones that have smooth treble are great for listening experience in general, but for metal metal, you need some more violent sound, cymbals really help with this. Also, having smooth treble also affects vocals, making scream and growl sound too easy, or too lean sometimes. 

Know what's funny? When I owned the QC15, I enjoyed it, but it has serious sound quality problems despite its strengths...and I wanted to find something much more enjoyable...so I got my hands on many other headphones...and found that most of them were nowhere near as enjoyable with metal as the QC15! It has boosted bass and treble and is still the most "exciting" headphone I've heard, despite lacking the overall sound quality of more audiophile-oriented headphones. That being said, above all else, I want an accurate headphone, because I want to hear what is in the actual recording.

You oversimplify a bit, I use this table for reference of metal subgenres / headphones signature match.

I forgot about that chart! Pretty cool...but I think everyone's preferences will differ somewhat.

May 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,222 of 12,298

Know what's funny? When I owned the QC15, I enjoyed it, but it has serious sound quality problems despite its strengths...and I wanted to find something much more enjoyable...so I got my hands on many other headphones...and found that most of them were nowhere near as enjoyable with metal as the QC15! It has boosted bass and treble and is still the most "exciting" headphone I've heard, despite lacking the overall sound quality of more audiophile-oriented headphones. That being said, above all else, I want an accurate headphone, because I want to hear what is in the actual recording.

I forgot about that chart! Pretty cool...but I think everyone's preferences will differ somewhat.

I also wanted to mention that,

We all think different, and hear different, creating a pattern of thinking can lead to substantial problems in the future, it is good to know that not for everyone things matter the most.

For example, i need very expansive soundstage with every genere i listen, because this is how i like. Soundstage and clarity are something i cannot go over. I can fiind a headphone that i love in any possible other way, if it does not have a great soundstage and does not have clarity, i will not use it. 

sad fact.

I never heared QC15, so i do not know how it sounds. Had you considered akg k550?

May 12, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,223 of 12,298
I never heared QC15, so i do not know how it sounds. Had you considered akg k550?

The QC15 sounds much, much better with an aftermarket cable like the V-MODA Audio Only Cable. (The stock cables have extra electronics that interfere with the signal.)

Well, I'm mainly interested in high-end stuff, with only a handful of more affordable headphones on my wish list. I've heard good things about the K550, but the only AKG headphones I am personally interested in are the K7XX, K812, and K1000.

May 13, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,224 of 12,298

I don't have a goal to create universal reference, I find it impossible )) All I wanted - to document detailed and transparent subjective system, that could be taken as a starting point for personal listening conclusions, so notes on listening experience of different persons would be more comparable.

May 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,225 of 12,298
May not be considered ordinarily for this type of music, but has anyone tried the NAD HP50 or even the Oppo PM-3? My Shure 940's have proven too strident and with too loose of bass for me, so looking for headphones to improve on that front...thanks!

May 13, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,226 of 12,298
  May not be considered ordinarily for this type of music, but has anyone tried the NAD HP50 or even the Oppo PM-3? My Shure 940's have proven too strident and with too loose of bass for me, so looking for headphones to improve on that front...thanks!

tried the HP50 quickly, own the PM3, but never had the pleasure of trying the shure 940 for comparison. I think both of the headphones you mentioned do have quite accurate, tight bass and do not sound too strident to my ears. cannot comment about the differences against the 940 though.

May 14, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,227 of 12,298
Hi guys, found this thread while looking for some heavy metal headphones. I see you have been talking a lot about expensive high end stuff, but I hope I can borrow a little of your time for some suggestions on cheap stuff. Unfortunately I cannot afford 300-400+ $ headphones, but I always try to get some decent products, so to stay above the mainstream thrash products that are sold everywhere (I am not speaking about headphones only). I'm a university student and I've started getting some money (not much) just recently, so I'm trying to renew my desktop setup stepwise, substituing cheap stuff that was sold to my father by the classic computer shop some years ago.
I listen 80% of the time to metal, specifically Metalcore (ex: Parkway Drive, Architects, BMTH, Enter Shikari, etc), Progressive (ex: Opeth, The Ocean, Protest The Hero, etc) and classic Heavy, plus some Alternative and Thrash (and very little Industrial and Goth). Sometimes I also listen to Pop Rock (like 30 Seconds To Mars - yeah, I know) and some Electronic (just a few bands like Daft Punk, Infected Mushrooms and The Prodigy).
Doubts raise in particular considering that I would also like to use headphones for watching movies, so I was asking myself whether there are headphones that might not be suitable for this kind of entertainment but are only good for (metal) music. I know I can always return products to the shop, but that's something I would like to avoid.
Both activities will be carried out on my pc, I'm not going to carry headphones outside home since I already use in-ear (TDK IE800) for that purpose. I might be using the headphones at home with my phone (Note 4), though quite rarely. At the moment I don't have a dedicated audio card in my pc, but my motherboard is not that bad (Asrock Fatality H97 Killer). I know audiophiles might hate me for saying this, and that's why I'm planning to get a dedicated audio card sometimes in the future, possibly before the end of this year. I think Asus Xonar DGX might be a decent choice, do you agree? By the way, I've recently thrown out of the window my old Logitech 2.1 setup (true crap!) and bought some Edifier R1280T, so I know I really need to buy an audio card.
Last but not least, I live in Europe (Italy), so some of the products listed in the chart are not available here (see hard-to-find Grados). Here's the thing:
Sennheiser HD449: 60€
Creative Aurvana Live: 70€
Denon AHD1100: 80€
Creative Aurvana Live 2: 100€
Audio Technica Pro ATH M50X: 140€
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (both 80 and 250 Ohm): 150€
A couple of headphones are not in the chart, I was indeed asking myself whether the new editiond of Creative Aurvana Live is any good? And what about those Denon?
Anyway, I should add that I like a balanced sound, bassy headphones is not really my thing. If you've ever tried those in-ear I own, you can immediatly understand my preferences: I would say mid-centric sound, warm & sweet.
Given the fact that my wallet would instantly point towards Sennheiser for a matter of budget, my question is: how much can sound quality improve moving towards the Audiotechnica or Beyerdynamic? Are those 80€+ worth it over the Sennheiser? And is any of the headphones mentioned getting somehow closer to the kind of sound signature I prefer?
Thanks very much for your help guys! :wink:

May 14, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,228 of 12,298
I would say mid-centric sound, warm & sweet

How about:

Senhizer hd600
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

I also like smooth mid centric soud :beerchug:

P.S
HE500s are grear cans in 500$ prise pool. they have more bass and clarity than hd600, still plays on a warm side of the sound. But it's a little out of your budget+ need good amping cuz its orthos

May 14, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,229 of 12,298
Lol, I don't think I can't even get closer to such prices, my choice is restricted to the headphones I've listed above (or any other that are placed within that price range)...Let's say my maximum budget is 150€, though if there is something valuable under 100€ I'll be happy too. I know it's not much for audiophiles, but I'm not one in the end and I cannot go any further. :wink:

May 14, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,230 of 12,298
  Lol, I don't think I can't even get closer to such prices, my choice is restricted to the headphones I've listed above (or any other that are placed within that price range)...Let's say my maximum budget is 150€, though if there is something valuable under 100€ I'll be happy too. I know it's not much for audiophiles, but I'm not one in the end and I cannot go any further. :wink:

Sennheiser hd 449. All the way.

I would, on second thought consider getting an ultrasone dj one, it can be found at low prices, depending on your location, it sports more treble, more bass, more soundstage, where hd449 seems more linear (in comparation)..

You can say in a few words what the signature you are searching for you want to be like, and i can tell you what headpones are closest in the price range. 

I was unable to identify exactly what type of sound you are searching for.

Anyways, for the money sennheiser hd449 seem like the most solid option, in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back