Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #10,291 of 12,315
ALSO, wireless on an open-back would be entirely pointless since a big reason for wireless is portability.
Which is funny, since that is what Grado built not once, but twice.

Maybe the people who are buying good to great wired, closed-back headphones that do not always need to be amped and pairing them with something like a Fiio BTR3 when they want to go mobile have the right idea. That just seems like a 95% solution to part time mobility to me from the other direction. It’s all probably moot to my ears, which are compromised from poor choices in youth, so maybe just buying cans that sound decent and are convenient (ANC, good battery life, etc.) should be my only criteria.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #10,292 of 12,315
I own a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550 II and i suggest you to give it a look, if you are looking for a wireless headset. They are more neutral than boses and sony’s, nicely detailed (as far as it goes for wireless ANC) and pretty comfortable too, at least for me. They are lacking in some areas, like features and integration, but soundwise i like them.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #10,293 of 12,315
I own a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550 II and i suggest you to give it a look, if you are looking for a wireless headset. They are more neutral than boses and sony’s, nicely detailed (as far as it goes for wireless ANC) and pretty comfortable too, at least for me. They are lacking in some areas, like features and integration, but soundwise i like them.
Would cost be the only reason you would recommend these over the Momentum 3?

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #10,294 of 12,315
Would cost be the only reason you would recommend these over the Momentum 3?
As far as i know, they are different. I didn’t buy them because they were cheaper, buy mainly because they are very lighweight and convenient to use without much effort. I mean i just throw them around, they sounds nice, make good voice call, the ANC is decent and i like their tight bass. They can also be used via 3.5 cable or usb with their internal DAC.
I don’t think the momentum are worth 100-150 dollars more for my usage, especially considering what i look into (and i use them a lot for video and movies).

Worth to mention that sometimes i wear them for like 4 or 5 hours in a day easily, whereas with the focal listen after 30 minutes i have to reposition them constantly to alleviate the pain.

From gymcaddy:
So over all… even though the PXC 550-II’s and Momentum 3’s are from the same company… they are very different from one another. Its almost like 2 completely different teams made them and didn’t even bother to communicate with one another. And in general Sennheiser really needs to get it together cause their headphones just barely manage to keep up with the competition. Now I think the Momentum 3’s are a good pair of at home headphones that you’ll might occasionally use to travel with. Their Active noise cancellation isn’t all that impressive and they could be more comfortable. But I can’t deny that these headphones sound great and I really like their build quality. Where as the PXC 550-II’s are much better suited for traveling. Even though these headphones are not better than the sony 1000XM3’s or Bose NC 700’s feature set wise… these are a good alternative if neither of the latter fit you well. The Sony’s have cramped ear cups and the Bose have a little too much clamping force. But the Sennheiser PXC 550-II’s are a pair of headphones I would feel more comfortable picking up if they were on sale.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #10,295 of 12,315
I have a pair of HD660S and are curious to add something for the likes of Metallica, In Flames, Sepultura, Soilwork, TOOL, Rage Against The Machine and the like. So not really in the heaviest/most brutal of genres, but still. Looking to drive it with a Woo WA3 tube amp.

The original post is getting kind of old - what do we look at these days at around 350-500 USD MSRP?

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #10,296 of 12,315
I strongly recommend the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (it is on-ear, but sound-wise for metal it is very, very good). AKG K371 is another option to look at, but for metal the Sennheiser is hard to beat.

So I bought the AKG k371, after taking a trip to a bigger town where I had the oppurtunity to test the k371 and the DT770 against a "power metal" sample list: SAMPLE LIST LINK(youtube). I quickly noticed the DT770 are definitly not for this type of music, but they had a nice spacious sound if you disregarded the lack in other fields.

So my conclusion after some time spent at home with the headphones is that the AKG k371 are an "okay", "decent" headphone with a good price but a main major flaw for me are part of the vocals(as explained below).

AKG 371 opinions:
Cons(sound):

The biggest letdown of these headphones are that the vocalists that have a brighter voice get muffled, darker, more distant, not as clear and high. Which means that the signature goosebump notes dissapear in the "power screams?". This is very noticable in this song: "Twilight Force - Enchanted Dragon Of Wisdom".
Song Link(youtube)

Another very noticable example of this "distant/muffled" effect is in the 12 second intro to:
"Skeletoon - Brighter than 1000 suns" Intro Song Link(youtube)

The whole song "NorthTale - Shape your reality" Song Link(youtube) is ruined with these headphones unless you EQ, because of the type of vocalist.

The second con for me is that they lack a bit of body and punch in the drum department, noticable in all songs, still miles better then DT770.

Third main con is that they don't sound very spacious.

Pros(sound):
Good sounding vocals, with the exception of goosebump notes.

All different kind instruments sound good and separated.

Good balance and representation between vocals and instruments.

Atleast they had some degree of punch in the drums even if it could be more.

Song most suitable for theese headphones from the sample list:
Beast in Black - No Surrender. Song Link(youtube)
Also overall seem to suit powerwolf tracks, avantasia and other darker voiced vocalists.

Build Quality & Comfort:
Somewhat uncomfortable headband, but you get used to it.
Drivers a bit to close to ears.
A bit loose headcup sliders.
Mediocre quality overall, but acceptable for the price.

Conclusion:
If I had no outside parameters I would always reach for the X2s instead of the k371, but im not unhappy with the k371, they are ok for their price and purpose and become a good headphone with some EQ adjustments in the 4k-8k range.

With the above in mind what should I go for in the open cans I should buy?
Are the Sundaras still a good option?
Unfourtunately due to corona the retailer didn't want to open new boxes so I could test other headphones.
Im considering prdering the 2020 HE400i blind just to see if I like the sound signature that is comparable to the sundaras?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,297 of 12,315
Which is funny, since that is what Grado built not once, but twice.

Maybe the people who are buying good to great wired, closed-back headphones that do not always need to be amped and pairing them with something like a Fiio BTR3 when they want to go mobile have the right idea. That just seems like a 95% solution to part time mobility to me from the other direction. It’s all probably moot to my ears, which are compromised from poor choices in youth, so maybe just buying cans that sound decent and are convenient (ANC, good battery life, etc.) should be my only criteria.

The thing is, the higher-end BT headsets sound GREAT. Period. If you like your metal with some edge to it, the B&O H9 should probably be at the top of your list (haven't heard the H95). Excellent set. No, they're nowhere close to the best you can buy for $500 but when you balance the convenience you mentioned, it's really worth it.

Also, and I know this might be sacrilege around here, I honestly think the Bose 700 has some damn good audio.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #10,298 of 12,315
The thing is, the higher-end BT headsets sound GREAT. Period. If you like your metal with some edge to it, the B&O H9 should probably be at the top of your list (haven't heard the H95). Excellent set. No, they're nowhere close to the best you can buy for $500 but when you balance the convenience you mentioned, it's really worth it.

Also, and I know this might be sacrilege around here, I honestly think the Bose 700 has some damn good audio.
My wife has the Sony WH-1000XM3, and I cannot stand the audio in them. I have not heard the Bose, so maybe I should give them a try. I can’t justify $500 for B&O’s old headphones when I can get AirPods Max or Master & Dynamic MW65 for that price, and the M&D even do passive listening.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #10,299 of 12,315
For metal / hard rock I like to feel it as much as hear it. Obvious limitations with headphones in that regard, but the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's can absolutely slam. If you want a next step up I'd go HD650. Yet another step up Fostex TH900 mkii. The Fostex's have incredible detail and resolution without sacrificing the low end.

I also have HiFiMan HE400i's and while great headphones they don't have the energy as the others. Had Grado Rs1e's and was disappointed in them so sent them back. Like the HiFiMan's they're good at detail and resolution but for ~$700 they sounded really thin to me. I found the HD650's to be much better, and the Fostex's simply blow them away.

I'm not a "flat transfer" person...I use EQ liberally to make it sound how I like, which is U shaped. So I'm sure that impacts my feelings towards one set over the other.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #10,300 of 12,315
My wife has the Sony WH-1000XM3, and I cannot stand the audio in them. I have not heard the Bose, so maybe I should give them a try. I can’t justify $500 for B&O’s old headphones when I can get AirPods Max or Master & Dynamic MW65 for that price, and the M&D even do passive listening.

Old doesn't mean bad by any stretch. The HD650 is pretty damn old by this point and still a go-to recommendation. I dunno about the AirPods (though I have zero faith in Apple for that particular piece of tech), but I do know the old M&D MW60 was... less than inspiring. Maybe the MW65 is a big overhaul.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #10,301 of 12,315
Old doesn't mean bad by any stretch. The HD650 is pretty damn old by this point and still a go-to recommendation. I dunno about the AirPods (though I have zero faith in Apple for that particular piece of tech), but I do know the old M&D MW60 was... less than inspiring. Maybe the MW65 is a big overhaul.
Old, when it comes to technology, is suboptimal. That‘s a big concern for me, and why I have a hard time to committing to expensive ANC headphones, especially when they will need to be replaced more often than headphones like the HD 650’s.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #10,302 of 12,315
Just gonna toss this out there for everyone esp. to @akg fanboy

The AKG K240 Sextett are absolute magic for guitar driven metal....everytime i put them I on im blown away by the way they bring the guitars forward.

Last night was listening to "Unleashed in the East" and some Accept and it was just friggin metal bliss.

Unfortunately you need to actually be able to find a pair of these beauties,and then once you do the 600 ohms need serious power,but if you can do it,i think you will be quite pleased with results.

This is going back a few years, but bust wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. I've never heard guitars like the guitars I'm hearing with the K240 Sextetts. I have the LP version with new Shure SRH840 pads and the bass is perfect. Supposedly these are bass-light, but it's plenty - I can't Imagine how much more bass is in the MP and EP versions.

90% of what I listen to is metal and these are perfect. I'm hearings songs I've been listening to for the last 25 years for the fist time again.

Does anything even come close to these? I can't imagine it. If you're reading this, just get a pair, a vintage '70s receiver to power them and be done with it. There is none higher.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #10,303 of 12,315
Old, when it comes to technology, is suboptimal. That‘s a big concern for me, and why I have a hard time to committing to expensive ANC headphones, especially when they will need to be replaced more often than headphones like the HD 650’s.

It is, but there haven't been any major advancements in wireless tech insofar as headphones in the last year or two. If you have LDAC and BT5.0 you're pretty much good to go. They don't need to be replaced ever if they do what you need them to. If you're someone who's going to be constantly replacing to have the newest tech then you're in for a rough ride.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #10,304 of 12,315
It is, but there haven't been any major advancements in wireless tech insofar as headphones in the last year or two. If you have LDAC and BT5.0 you're pretty much good to go. They don't need to be replaced ever if they do what you need them to. If you're someone who's going to be constantly replacing to have the newest tech then you're in for a rough ride.
I am a little hesitant to drop much money on ANC headphones because I want to see how ultra wideband plays out and if it ends up replacing Bluetooth. Generally speaking, yes, BT 5.X is all I really need, for now, and I don’t even have any devices that make use of Qualcomm’s proprietary specs or LDAC.

That’s one of the reasons I had for my lack of interest in the H9. BT 4.2 is good, but 5.X is lower energy and has a few extra abilities that pre-5.0 did not.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #10,305 of 12,315
This is going back a few years, but bust wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. I've never heard guitars like the guitars I'm hearing with the K240 Sextetts. I have the LP version with new Shure SRH840 pads and the bass is perfect. Supposedly these are bass-light, but it's plenty - I can't Imagine how much more bass is in the MP and EP versions.

90% of what I listen to is metal and these are perfect. I'm hearings songs I've been listening to for the last 25 years for the fist time again.

Does anything even come close to these? I can't imagine it. If you're reading this, just get a pair, a vintage '70s receiver to power them and be done with it. There is none higher.

Glad you're digging them. Sextetts+ old receiver is a tough combo to beat, at any price, let alone at the bargain prices this combo goes for.
The only other headphone ive heard that has a similar sound is the original ATH AD2000 (non-X version). Very similar sound, but drier. The clamp and general discomfort on the 2000s is a buzzkill though, as is the rarity of finding a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back