Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #241 of 12,302
  It's not so simple. On non-metal music 560 are much better than 500. On metal 560 lacks bass punck. Review of 560 on the way.

"So far I've been going by the chart when checking out cans and every single time the chart from the OP is pretty dead on. " - Do you mean - you can't see picture with the table in a head post?

Sorry for the delay responding. Yes, I can indeed see the table! This has probably been one of the most helpful threads on Head-fi for me hands down.. well hands down - fists up rather. 

How hard would it be to get an excel spreadsheet for easier sorting?

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #242 of 12,302

Sorry for the delay responding. Yes, I can indeed see the table! This has probably been one of the most helpful threads on Head-fi for me hands down.. well hands down - fists up rather. 

How hard would it be to get an excel spreadsheet for easier sorting?

Google Docs link - spreadsheet with a couple more columns ))
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dTJ8epfwgEt7XzjqH38aGzDuNEH3rbKq6n4qyDL7GH8/edit?usp=sharing

Please share your opinoins. If it's usable to add more columns to the table screenshot? Are you intrested in non-metal ratings in this thread?

Sweet! I'm planning on getting those two (but the original SR-007) and heard they more or less sound amazing with all genres.

Looking forward to your impressions.
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm kind of heretic here, I don't find elecrostatic headphones perfect regardless the genre.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #243 of 12,302
  Google Docs link - spreadsheet with a couple more columns ))
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dTJ8epfwgEt7XzjqH38aGzDuNEH3rbKq6n4qyDL7GH8/edit?usp=sharing

Please share your opinoins. If it's usable to add more columns to the table screenshot? Are you intrested in non-metal ratings in this thread?

I'd be nice to have a total chart maybe on the end or side or even a separate file all together. I say add as many columns as you want but I'd split it up when screenshotting for different genres. 

I'd love to see a rating for all genres. I recently showed it to my friend who said he'd love to have a Jazz version of this.

On another note, I see the Fostex TH-600 and TH-900 are pretty much leaders of the pack but was wondering if the price difference being $700 vs $1500 new or $550 vs $1100 used. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #244 of 12,302
Ultimate solution for metal. SR-009 - amped right and paired with a great source, they'll reward you in spades. I also think an HE-6 rig is worthy of being an alternative ultimate solution.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #245 of 12,302
I'm kind of heretic here, I don't find elecrostatic headphones perfect regardless the genre.

Ultimate solution for metal. SR-009 - amped right and paired with a great source, they'll reward you in spades. I also think an HE-6 rig is worthy of being an alternative ultimate solution.

Awesome. Should be interesting to compare thoughts once the review is published.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #246 of 12,302

Do you really know amp able to get 009 bass HE-6 amount? :wink:  (I have personal experience with WES, KGSS (original) and custom built tube amp)

HE-6 + metal - another story... Currently I've taken pause to cool down "wow" for more objective review.

I'd love to see a rating for all genres. I recently showed it to my friend who said he'd love to have a Jazz version of this.

I wonder, have someone tried to differ jazz subgenres for sound reproduction devices subjective performance? Does it make any sense? I personally listen mostly to contemporary jazz piano trios, female vocal or jazz fusion varieties. And I'm no enough advanced in jazz subgenres, especially root subgenres...

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #247 of 12,302
  Do you really know amp able to get 009 bass HE-6 amount? :wink:  (I have personal experience with WES, KGSS (original) and custom built tube amp)

HE-6 + metal - another story... Currently I've taken pause to cool down "wow" for more objective review.

I feel the 009 out of HV or BHSE has that same type of visceralness the HE-6 does. The 009 is just more resolving than the HE-6 or anything else out there
save for Omega, which I haven't had the privilege of hearing.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #248 of 12,302
  I feel the 009 out of HV or BHSE has that same type of visceralness the HE-6 does. The 009 is just more resolving than the HE-6 or anything else out there
save for Omega, which I haven't had the privilege of hearing.

What kind of metal do you listen on 009?
And what do you mean by "visceralness"? Presence of subbass? Or presense, volume and punch? I never before read about such bass-able system based on 009. 

(btw I had an opportunity to listen 009, 007 MK2, Omegas and HE90 in a row, considering the bass volume only 007 were really different. Bass performance of 009, Omegas and HE90 for metal music purposes was about equal.)

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #249 of 12,302
I listen to pretty much everything. Opeth >The Red Chord > Periphery, etc. 

To me, visceral is always used to express how you can feel the bass. Like, head rattling - just quality throughout. No boomy/wooly or distortion. People have always said the same
about the HD800 and that's just not the case. Then again, plenty have always raved about the DT's bass quantity over any ortho, so...
I like to feel impact but I can also appreciate complete clarity in texture. I'd still say the HE-6 has the most weight to it, but the 009 brings plenty of punch.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #250 of 12,302
  I listen to pretty much everything. Opeth >The Red Chord > Periphery, etc. 

To me, visceral is always used to express how you can feel the bass. Like, head rattling - just quality throughout. No boomy/wooly or distortion. People have always said the same
about the HD800 and that's just not the case. Then again, plenty have always raved about the DT's bass quantity over any ortho, so...
I like to feel impact but I can also appreciate complete clarity in texture. I'd still say the HE-6 has the most weight to it, but the 009 brings plenty of punch.

I see...

Seems like you primary genres are Progressive metal, heavy metal. These subgenres do not need massive bass, much more critical are mids performance and soundstage quality. For instance I really like GS1000 on Progressive metal and they're no way universal metal headphones.

With "visceral" and "punch" I think we have therminology misconception here. For me punch definition is mostly on "quantity" side let's see head-fi glossary definition "Punchy - Good reproduction of dynamics. Good transient response, with strong impact. Sometimes a bump around 5 kHz or 200 Hz.", I think "impact" is the keyword.
The same about "visceral". Let's see Stereophile definition "visceral Producing a bodily sensation of pressure or concussion". For me "bodily sensation" is connected with 1) subbass extension and 2) considerable bass pressure.

Unfortunately, 009 bass (and HD800 bass likewise) just doesn't have enough power to produce impact, to provide pressure. Stellar dynamics and great extension just doesn't help.

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #251 of 12,302
  I see...

Seems like you primary genres are Progressive metal, heavy metal. These subgenres do not need massive bass, much more critical are mids performance and soundstage quality. For instance I really like GS1000 on Progressive metal and they're no way universal metal headphones.

With "visceral" and "punch" I think we have therminology misconception here. For me punch definition is mostly on "quantity" side let's see head-fi glossary definition "Punchy - Good reproduction of dynamics. Good transient response, with strong impact. Sometimes a bump around 5 kHz or 200 Hz.", I think "impact" is the keyword.
The same about "visceral". Let's see Stereophile definition "visceral Producing a bodily sensation of pressure or concussion". For me "bodily sensation" is connected with 1) subbass extension and 2) considerable bass pressure.

Unfortunately, 009 bass (and HD800 bass likewise) just doesn't have enough power to produce impact, to provide pressure. Stellar dynamics and great extension just doesn't help.

I rather enjoy progressive/technical type metal more, surely. But I really don't put my 009's in a bubble. For example, play, say, 

That'll indeed give you whatever type of physical feedback you think is missing. Very much visceral. Sometimes it's simply about source material.
To me, it's a bunch of bologna, all types of misconceptions. I also get that you've heard these phones - just live with 'em a little longer to discover their true limits.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #252 of 12,302
@levap

Also, once you publish the SR-009 review, it would be most helpful if you can specify what else is in the chain, such as amp, source, etc.

It would be a shame if you were let down by the headphones, but it ended up being something else that held back their potential.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #253 of 12,302
  I also get that you've heard these phones - just live with 'em a little longer to discover their true limits.

I do understand perspectives of brain/headphones system fine-tuning process... But does it really worth trying considering the price of Stax 009 system and Abyss system? The question is open for me now )) 

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #254 of 12,302
  @levap

Also, once you publish the SR-009 review, it would be most helpful if you can specify what else is in the chain, such as amp, source, etc.

It would be a shame if you were let down by the headphones, but it ended up being something else that held back their potential.

DAC was the same - Mytek Stereo192-DSD. Amp/headphones combination were 007+KGSS, 009+WES. I will make comments on amp/headphones match in a review.
By the way. In original spreadsheet in Excel I make notes and marks on non-metal genres for personal usage. If someone is interested in non-metal notes for 007, 009 I could publish them too.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #255 of 12,302
  DAC was the same - Mytek Stereo192-DSD. Amp/headphones combination were 007+KGSS, 009+WES. I will make comments on amp/headphones match in a review.
By the way. In original spreadsheet in Excel I make notes and marks on non-metal genres for personal usage. If someone is interested in non-metal notes for 007, 009 I could publish them too.

I would be interested in seeing whatever you've got!
beerchug.gif

(Don't forget to specify which upgrades and tubes the WES had.)

Speaking of the AB-1266, it would be great to see your thoughts on it as well, if you plan on including it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back