Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,563 of 12,359
Great info on the blog there. Just waiting for the actual sonic impressions though on top of the soundstage comment. I am interested in knowing if any of the models sound more natural than the others. Sometimes, a large soundstage kills the naturalness

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,564 of 12,359
  Great info on the blog there. Just waiting for the actual sonic impressions though on top of the soundstage comment. I am interested in knowing if any of the models sound more natural than the others. Sometimes, a large soundstage kills the naturalness

I did a search so you can browse through much more info:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=site:head-fi.org+%22stax%22+%22207%22+%22307%22+%22407%22+%22507%22

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,565 of 12,359
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,566 of 12,359
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,567 of 12,359

Have you heard the Lambda (SB) with the SRD-7 adaptor by chance? I'm wondering how that compares to the 207 & 507.

Haven't heard it.

Specifically I wouldn't recommend these with metal. Overall they lack the refinement/speed/resolve. However, the 507 is a bit rough/forward sounding,
which I feel gives some excitement/energy metal can sometimes benefit from. That is, it's a bit harsh up top and features some mid bass hump.
the 507 sounds less diffuse in stage and offers better separation. I really feel the 507 and Electra or some other colored front end does wonders to make the 507 more engaging and less fatiguing. 

The 207 doesn't really feature much harshness comparatively and I feel sounds very agreeable, but a touch boring. It lacks that excitement and overall detail retrieval. No mid bass, so they sound thinner, but still very quick. Both make most dynamics feel one-note and blurred.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,568 of 12,359

Have you heard the Lambda (SB) with the SRD-7 adaptor by chance? I'm wondering how that compares to the 207 & 507.

Haven't heard it.

Specifically I wouldn't recommend these with metal. Overall they lack the refinement/speed/resolve. However, the 507 is a bit rough/forward sounding,
which I feel gives some excitement/energy metal can sometimes benefit from. That is, it's a bit harsh up top and features some mid bass hump.
the 507 sounds less diffuse in stage and offers better separation. I really feel the 507 and Electra or some other colored front end does wonders to make the 507 more engaging and less fatiguing. 

The 207 doesn't really feature much harshness comparatively and I feel sounds very agreeable, but a touch boring. It lacks that excitement and overall detail retrieval. No mid bass, so they sound thinner, but still very quick. Both make most dynamics feel one-note and blurred.

Word. I quite like the Lambda (SB) / SRD7 setup for metal. Excellent speed and impact on the kicks. More bass than I anticipated. Incredibly articulate and keeps up very well with fast guitars and cymbal work. It can be a touch harsh at times, but I have a (still burning in) TP22 T amp and a Sabre DAC in front of it, so I think the occasional harshness is probably more the fault of the chain than the headphone itself. My only notable complaints are the lack of soundstage depth and the lack of ambient microdetail that you get with something like the HD800 (but it's not like you're going to find it for anything else in the $400-$500 price range either).

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,569 of 12,359

Word. I quite like the Lambda (SB) / SRD7 setup for metal. Excellent speed and impact on the kicks. More bass than I anticipated. Incredibly articulate and keeps up very well with fast guitars and cymbal work. It can be a touch harsh at times, but I have a (still burning in) TP22 T amp and a Sabre DAC in front of it, so I think the occasional harshness is probably more the fault of the chain than the headphone itself. My only notable complaints are the lack of soundstage depth and the lack of ambient microdetail that you get with something like the HD800 (but it's not like you're going to find it for anything else in the $400-$500 price range either).

Definitely. I only don't recommend them in the overall scheme of things. I can see how people would like the HD800 more. For me, it's the 009. 
But no doubt the 507 or 207 and most other stats offer excellent value. Different signature but I kind of prefer the 507 over the 007 mk 1.
It can be really dependent on the entire chain, though.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,570 of 12,359
One of these days one of us is going to post impressions of the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 with metal...and it's most likely going to be crazy ol' me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,571 of 12,359
  One of these days one of us is going to post impressions of the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 with metal...and it's most likely going to be crazy ol' me.
biggrin.gif

Have at it. I'm not really a fan of the Orpheus sound.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,573 of 12,359

What did you dislike (and like) about it? Which amps did you hear it on? It's supposed to sound gooey and lush on the HEV 90, but much better on the Aristaeus and DIY T2.

It's too warm for what I'm looking for. I've heard it on both HEV 90 and BHSE. I'd say aside from the 009 you should really seek out the Omega.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,574 of 12,359
  It's too warm for what I'm looking for. I've heard it on both HEV 90 and BHSE. I'd say aside from the 009 you should really seek out the Omega.

I'll "catch 'em all" someday, don't you worry.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Really curious about how the SR-30 will sound. I should have it in three days, but won't have the required speaker amp to use it yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back