Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 17, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,546 of 12,359
  I gave the HE-6 a whirl at a local meet a few months ago with my Lyr 2 and on Hi Gain and volume set to around 75% it was at a comfortable level. At 100% it was barely loud. 

That thing definitely needs some serious juice to get up in volume but it did sound awesome. 

If the challenge of finding gear strong enough and better suited for the HE-6 is your goal then go for it. If not the HE-500 is a damn fine cheaper alternative that would work with current gear very well.

He already has the HE-500, though. And I'm going for the STAX SR-009.

For those not aware, I'll leave a note concerning the HE-6: apparently, according to many owners, a high quality speaker amp gets the best sound for these headphones, not due to the output power, but the quality of the design. That's why you see people spending many thousands on speaker amps for it, even though ones with "enough power" are available for under $100.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,547 of 12,359

For those not aware, I'll leave a note concerning the HE-6: apparently, according to many owners, a high quality speaker amp gets the best sound for these headphones, not due to the output power, but the quality of the design. That's why you see people spending many thousands on speaker amps for it, even though ones with "enough power" are available for under $100.

You should change the tag under your name from "Pokemon trainer of headphones" to "Plans on getting the SR-009".

I think that would save you a lot of typing. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,548 of 12,359
  You should change the tag under your name from "Pokemon trainer of headphones" to "Plans on getting the SR-009".

I think that would save you a lot of typing. 
biggrin.gif

LMAO! That's a custom title given by a moderator, anyway. I could always put it in my signature, though. It's already on my profile in the "wish list for the impending future" section.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,549 of 12,359
This is loosely related to headphones and metal, so I hope it's okay that I post this: I am looking to trade my CDs for headphones or other audio gear. If you have anything you would like to trade, I have a very large amount of metal CDs. Details here.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,550 of 12,359
Hm. The M50x sounds quite good with some metal. I wasn't that impressed when I owned it, but now that I'm borrowing it and get to hear it with more music, I'm hearing more of its strengths. On "Conditional" by Living Sacrifice, it sounds pretty dynamic and engaging. The main problem is the bass compromises the overall clarity and transparency.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,551 of 12,359

Don't have a speaker amp but HE6 and WA5 pairing appears to have a positive impression. HE1000s would definitely be easier to drive but I'm concerned that the pairing would have an even more laid back sound signature.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,552 of 12,359
Guys...I'm getting...my first...STAX system!!!
biggrin.gif

Don't have a speaker amp but HE6 and WA5 pairing appears to have a positive impression. HE1000s would definitely be easier to drive but I'm concerned that the pairing would have an even more laid back sound signature.

For what it's worth, using the Audeze vegan pads reportedly makes the HE1000 sound more engaging. I doubt it would change its sound signature significantly (alliteration!) enough to justify the cost for me, though. I'm really hoping electrostatics have the realism I seek, since they're the only main full-size headphone type I haven't heard yet. ...Though I expect to have to go all the way up to the SR-009 and HE 90 to transcend the limitations of lesser electrostats.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,554 of 12,359
What are you getting?

SRD-4 and SR-30. Not exactly the best, but the owner told me that with certain genres, it actually sounds more realistic to him than the Koss ESP950 and Sennheiser HD 650. Ironically, I'm getting them in a trade for some of my CDs. I'll have to get a speaker amp (probably Lepai LP-2020A+) and 3.5mm to RCA cable to be able to use it. Will probably get the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next month too, along with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 and possibly other headphones.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,555 of 12,359

What are you getting?

SRD-4 and SR-30. Not exactly the best, but the owner told me that with certain genres, it actually sounds more realistic to him than the Koss ESP950 and Sennheiser HD 650. Ironically, I'm getting them in a trade for some of my CDs. I'll have to get a speaker amp (probably Lepai LP-2020A+) and 3.5mm to RCA cable to be able to use it. Will probably get the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next month too, along with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 and possibly other headphones.

Good luck with the Stax!

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,556 of 12,359
  Guys...I'm getting...my first...STAX system!!!
biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, using the Audeze vegan pads reportedly makes the HE1000 sound more engaging. I doubt it would change its sound signature significantly (alliteration!) enough to justify the cost for me, though. I'm really hoping electrostatics have the realism I seek, since they're the only main full-size headphone type I haven't heard yet. ...Though I expect to have to go all the way up to the SR-009 and HE 90 to transcend the limitations of lesser electrostats.

It's all downhill from here. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,557 of 12,359
  It's all downhill from here. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

My breath is already taken away...or rather, I'm holding my breath in anticipation, hoping even the low-end STAX will be breathtaking.

I don't think you ever told me, which STAX have you heard aside from the SR-009? Care to publish a brief comparison of the ones you've heard?

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,558 of 12,359

My breath is already taken away...or rather, I'm holding my breath in anticipation, hoping even the low-end STAX will be breathtaking.

I don't think you ever told me, which STAX have you heard aside from the SR-009? Care to publish a brief comparison of the ones you've heard?

I've now heard all the "flagships" from Stax and quite a few of the Lambda models. You can ask specifics, I hate walls of text.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,559 of 12,359
  I've now heard all the "flagships" from Stax and quite a few of the Lambda models. You can ask specifics, I hate walls of text.

Hmm...have you heard the SR-30 and SR-207? If so, can you compare just those two to the SR-009?

I should have the SR-30 within a week. I might get the SR-207 as a backup after I upgrade to the SR-009. May add the SR-007 (multiple versions) later on too, but it's not a priority. Then there's the SR-Omega, which seems pretty interesting, plus it's rare.

There are quite a few discontinued models. It would be cool to collect them someday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products

Wonder how many people have collected every STAX headphone!
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,560 of 12,359

Hmm...have you heard the SR-30 and SR-207? If so, can you compare just those two to the SR-009?

I should have the SR-30 within a week. I might get the SR-207 as a backup after I upgrade to the SR-009. May add the SR-007 (multiple versions) later on too, but it's not a priority. Then there's the SR-Omega, which seems pretty interesting, plus it's rare.

There are quite a few discontinued models. It would be cool to collect them someday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products

Wonder how many people have collected every STAX headphone!
eek.gif

I've spent some with with the 207. They're not very detail forward, but they do have a strong emphasis on the mids.
I feel these are comparable to most dynamics in the bass department. Perhaps with a touch less oomph. These still sound better - in a more natural way than
most dynamics out there. Stax have a very clean sound to them and even the lowly of the lows I feel trump dynamic or planars.

The 009 is flat out a cut above everything. The only thing I've desired with the 009 is a bit more heft in bass weight. The T2 is my solution there.

That is insane. I feel pretty fortunate to have owned the Omega and soon to have a lusty T2. I can live with that. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back