Headphones for girlfriend. Closed. $150 max. Must be pretty /facepalm.
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, after my girlfriend heard my recent collection she wants to upgrade from her ibuds and onboard laptop speakers. No surprise there. So, I need something closed, $150, not IEM, and of course, most importantly, something pretty that she wouldn't be embarrassed to wear to work/on the train etc. She's has a Taylor Swift obsession, and also loves rock/indie/acoustic.

Any suggestions? So far on the short list I have the ES7, M50. Besides that I am having a hard time finding some nice, low key looking headphones that don't sound like crap. How are some of the cheaper Ultrasones? I considered the DJ1 but heard it was too bassy, which she won't need for her music tastes.

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 106
Maybe look at the ESW9s? They are beautiful headphones and sound nice too. Maybe not the best choice for rock, but it's still does it well IMO. Don't know about TSwift and indie/acoustic music though.

They are $200 new though, but if she doesn't mind used you might be able to find some closer to $150, maybe just slightly higher. There was one for $150 + shipping in the FS forums a few days ago.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 106
If she doesn't think the M50s are too ugly, then I think she'll be fine with pretty much anything. Maybe even the SRH440s will do, since they look similar.

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 106
I'm not paying for it rofl.. I just forked out $500 at Tiffany's for her birthday. Can't afford to pay for everything she wants or I'd be living in a gutter
wink.gif
Anyway, back to my question..

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 106
Quote:
Maybe look at the ESW9s? They are beautiful headphones and sound nice too. Maybe not the best choice for rock, but it's still does it well IMO. Don't know about TSwift and indie/acoustic music though.

They are $200 new though, but if she doesn't mind used you might be able to find some closer to $150, maybe just slightly higher. There was one for $150 + shipping in the FS forums a few days ago.

Yep I'm looking at this one myself.

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 106
since you are talking about it.
I am waiting for my esw9 too... They look awesome...

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 106
Maybe Phiaton MS 300s?  A little out of your price range and more cool than pretty looking, but its the only other thing I can think of.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 106
I was going to suggest the Ultrasone HFI series but if she thinks M50s are too bilky than ditto for the Ultrasones. I suggest checking out Headfionia.com's review of closed headphones and the review of portable headphones. I hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 106

Quote:
You might want to look at http://www.geekstuff4u.com/ and http://www.audiocubes.com/.  They have lots of pretty Japanese headphones.

Thanks for the links, though I have seen those sites and both are very expensive. Though just to clear things up, I am not just looking for "pretty" headphones, the looks must be backed up by great sound. I am leaning towards the ES7 atm I think, she has said she likes the looks and they have gotten pretty good reviews considering the price.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 106
The ES7 is a great portable phone for the price but a fullsized model such as the SRH440 is going to sound superior.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 106
Denon D1001 nice looking, in a minimalistic way, sound pretty good for pop/modern country, cost $149 USD.  Do they have to fold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back