Headphones for everyday portable use?
Apr 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Reno Butts

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi people :)

I've been meaning to purchase a new set of headphones for a while now, and with my earphones finally breaking yesterday, I've decided to finally get around to it.

I'm looking for a pair of 'medium-sized'/portable headphones with a price roughly between $70 - $150 (Canadian dollars, but if the price is in United States dollars that's close enough).
I'll be using them most days, mainly on the bus, in the library and walking home.

I'd like for them to:
  1. Be portable enough to collapse/fold and fit in a backpack,
  2. Be small / subtle in the sense of not having additional wires over the headband (Audio Technica T400s are an example of this)
  3. Not let too much sound escape outward; Canceling sound coming in isn't a big deal, but I don't want it to escape out for other people around me have to hear what I'm listening to.

Here's a picture I edited to give an example of the rough size that I'd want; I'd rather it closer to the inner green circle, but anything slightly smaller is okay too:

For music if it happens to be relevant, I listen to any music that sounds nice to me, with genres such as:
Punk / alternative rock, folk, metal (mainly death-, celtic-, avant-garde and symphonic-), sometimes classical and sometimes hip-hop/rap.
I wouldn't limit it to those genres, but they're the bigger ones.

I was looking at Audio Technica ES7s but they appear to be discontinued (and finding a retailer that is both reliable for them and ships to Canada was difficult). I really liked how they looked and they seemed to get good reviews.

If you could suggest a retailer that'll ship any suggested headphones, that could be a big help too. :)

Thanks for any help in advanced! and sorry for a thread that probably pops up too often!

Edit: Over in the ATH-ES7 Buyer's Guide thread, I noticed they mentioned someone selling authentic ES7s on eBay. Here's the link to the eBay page. I usually avoid buying second hand things, but do you guys think it might just be worth it?

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 6
dont know what you think about the look,
but the sennheiser HD-25 s are sturdy enough to be thrown in a backpack.

I listen to a lot of stoner/doom metal and think they do an exelent jobb whit that :)

use search, try something like "onear"
Iḿ sure youĺl find rewvies and impressions on just about any phone you want.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Yup, HD25s are my favorite on-ear headphones.  They handle just about anything with ease and they are built like a tank.  Can definitely take a beating in a backpack.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 6

Check the for sale forum, I don't think a seller with a good reputation would try to pass off a fake pair. You shouldn't be adverse to buying used, a set from ebay or even some 3rd party seller through a legit site like Amazon wouldn't be giving you a valid warranty anyway. That 2 year "WARRENTYY" claim on the ebay listing is nonsense, no manufacturer gives a warranty for a resold item and the es7 have been discontinued for... about a year?. And why does this guy have like a hundred ES7s. Those are obviously fake.

Honestly, there are too many fake ES7s floating around to recommend trying to find a legit one. There are plenty of good alternatives, so I suggest you do some more research.

Quote:
I was looking at Audio Technica ES7s but they appear to be discontinued (and finding a retailer that is both reliable for them and ships to Canada was difficult). I really liked how they looked and they seemed to get good reviews.

If you could suggest a retailer that'll ship any suggested headphones, that could be a big help too. :)

Thanks for any help in advanced! and sorry for a thread that probably pops up too often!

Edit: Over in the ATH-ES7 Buyer's Guide thread, I noticed they mentioned someone selling authentic ES7s on eBay. Here's the link to the eBay page. I usually avoid buying second hand things, but do you guys think it might just be worth it?

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Go for the HD25s for all your portable-metal needs. They're ugly, but kick some serious butt. If you don't wanna take the plunge, the PX200-II are nice too, they sound like baby HD25s (to me at least). They don't really do well in very noisy surroundings though, the bass can get drowned out.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

Check the for sale forum, I don't think a seller with a good reputation would try to pass off a fake pair. You shouldn't be adverse to buying used, a set from ebay or even some 3rd party seller through a legit site like Amazon wouldn't be giving you a valid warranty anyway. That 2 year "WARRENTYY" claim on the ebay listing is nonsense, no manufacturer gives a warranty for a resold item and the es7 have been discontinued for... about a year?. And why does this guy have like a hundred ES7s. Those are obviously fake.

Honestly, there are too many fake ES7s floating around to recommend trying to find a legit one. There are plenty of good alternatives, so I suggest you do some more research.

My reasoning for being optimistic about this particular eBay seller was that a few people, one person having pictures and at least some activity on this site, said that they had received authentic ES7s from the seller.

The Sennheiser HD-25s are looking pretty good though. Everyone seems to say good things about them, and they fit my description perfectly. :)

Edit: Is there any specific place that I should look for buying HD-25s, or are Amazon's shippers reliable for them? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back