Headphones for Digital Piano
Sep 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

guguma

New Head-Fier
Dear All,

I am looking to get a new pair of headphones, I am planning to use them on my digital piano and TV, the important part is the Digital Piano. I can invest about $250-350 for the headphones, the cheaper the better but If there is a huge difference between a $350 headphone and a $400 one I would go for the $400 one.

I must confess that I do not have incredibly precise ears, I can tell between what sounds good and what does not but I am not an expert.

I had 2 pairs of Sennheiser PX 100 headphones, each broke down, they were great for listening (although I did not find them loud enough, probably because of the ambient sound) but did not satisfy me with my piano experience.

I got a pair of Sennheiser MX880 for listening but I do not find them good enough, they somehow do not deliver the fullness I got from my pairs of PX 100 headphones.

Now I have a budget for a good pair of headphones and honestly I need advice, I am inclined to go with Sennheiser because my experience thus far has been good with them, main use is going to be with my digital piano and listening to music (mostly classical) so I am looking for something that is suitable for this task, I would really like them to be comfortable on my head, something that can deliver a "full", "deep" sound (please forgive my ignorance these are the terms I am capable of using to describe what I am looking for) an be able to pick out the resonant undertones when playing. The TV part comes in because since I have a good pair I would use them with the TV too, and for that the cable needs to be long.

Oh and on top of the headphone I probably would not be able to afford an amplifier, there is almost a continuous line of quality and it gets more expensive, I just do not know where I should stop, what would be good enough (optimal).

I would greatly appreciate Your advice and input on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

I tended to use HD580's (neutral, they're HD600's) or DT990's if I wanted a more full warm sound.

Here's some easy-to-drive headphones to consider:

BeyerDynamic DT880 32ohm
Shure SRH940 (also SRH840)
Fischer Audio FA-002 (open) (and FA-003, closed)
Sennheiser HD598
Denon D2000

And some inexpensive ones to consider too:

Samson SR850 (semi-open)
Panasonic RP-HTF600 (closed)

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back