Headphones for cold environments?
May 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tyde165

New Head-Fier
So ive been very inactive on the boards due to a "new" job. I switched positions at work. I am now working in a giant freezer. Constant temp of -20 for 6 hrs a day or so. My current headphones literally froze. Im guessing from being in the cold then out in the texas heat then back into the cold. And now they dont work at all.

So now im looking for i guess water resistant headphones. Though i dont really know if any exist or would be worth the hassle. 

May 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 6
ATH-M50s?  Compared to my other headphones(DT990 and V6), they make my ear pretty hot.  They're also closed design but not sure if it's water-proof.

If anything I think what happened to your headphones is the wire cracked somewhere due to constant heating and cooling.  My antenna wire in my car actually went bad due to something similar(we were having hot days and cold nights, then one day no reception; a test revealed no continuity which points to a break in the thin wire).

May 26, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 6
I think you're looking for something like this. http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Audio-Surge-Waterproof-Headphones/dp/B001F8SAK8

Idk how it'll last against -20 degree temperatures, but they're suppose to be waterproof.

May 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Don't manufacturers typically list optimal operating temperatures? Although I doubt any of them go quite that low...

If you're working in -20 temps, shouldn't you be wearing a hat or something to keep your ears warm? Just pop a nice pair of IEM's under that and you're set.
cool.gif
When you aren't wearing them, keep them in an internal jacket or pants pocket to prevent them from getting too cold. Temperature shock does nasty things to everything audio-related, including headphones.

And what's the water resistance for? Unless I am missing something?

May 26, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 6
I know a lot of people that have headphones that work in -30C in Canada? o.O
My XB700 still functioned at -10C in Beijing, AND it kept my ears warm :)

May 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I use my Turbines, works fine in -30 weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back