Headphones for Classical music
Jul 29, 2022 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Yanto

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for suggestions please. I listen mostly to classical music but also some Classic Rock, Prog and Americana.
Amp is an IFi Zen DAC v2. Currently use Grado SR325x which I find ok.
But I’d like another headphone and preferably one that handles classical music very well. Looking for detail, separation, imaging and soundstage. May be unrealistic to think I can get something with all of these attributes for my £300 (max) budget.
Two that I’ve been considering are AKG K702 and Audio Technica ATH AD900X. I will not be able to try before buying unfortunately due to being 6 hours drive from good Hifi stores. No Amazon and no returns here unless faulty.
So which models would you recommend please, and why?
Thanks in advance

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 108
Hi, both the headphones you mention are a good choice for classical music, I can only suggest to also look at the AKG K712, a bit more "up to date" vs the 702.

Otherwise, usually the planar magnetic headphones can be a good choice for classical music even though you should raise you budget a bit more. Some Hifiman model could be a good choice, the latest 400 series or the Sundara, these are within your budget.
Sennheiser's HD600/650 could be a good choice as well but those could be a bit more than your budget, I do not know prices in UK.

In case of doubt, in my humble opinion I think you will not go wrong with the ATH AD900X (and in case you should need a bit more of isolation there is also a closed AT that is very good with classical music, the W1000X, it is far more than 300GBP but since it has been discontinued you may find some good deal).
Mu humble opinion, happy hunting :)

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 108
Hi, both the headphones you mention are a good choice for classical music, I can only suggest to also look at the AKG K712, a bit more "up to date" vs the 702.

Otherwise, usually the planar magnetic headphones can be a good choice for classical music even though you should raise you budget a bit more. Some Hifiman model could be a good choice, the latest 400 series or the Sundara, these are within your budget.
Sennheiser's HD600/650 could be a good choice as well but those could be a bit more than your budget, I do not know prices in UK.

In case of doubt, in my humble opinion I think you will not go wrong with the ATH AD900X (and in case you should need a bit more of isolation there is also a closed AT that is very good with classical music, the W1000X, it is far more than 300GBP but since it has been discontinued you may find some good deal).
Mu humble opinion, happy hunting :)
Hi. And many thanks for your reply and for the information. I appreciate you helping me.
I will certainly take a look at the AKG K712 too to see if it’s maybe a good alternative to the 702. I’ve found very very good deals on both the 702 and the 900X so have two possibilities already. Now maybe a third.

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 108
I listen mainly to classical music. I use as open back the Sundara and the Grado SR325x and very happy with them. Both great soundstage for orchestral music, bass is there without being overdone and pricing is good too.
I’m actually using Grado SR325x now.
I do like them but I just can’t decide if they are 100% right for me

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 108
I've hade the K702 and they are really good with classical and opera, mainly for their open and big soundstage. Only thing I disliked on them was the swelling in the 2 Khz area, which is audible (but Grado should be similar in this regard) and sometimes bothersome, expecially on lyrical voices. They also have a certain rolloff in the bass region, but this was not so critical when listening to classical. Now I have the K612 and overall prefer them over the 702: soundstage is not as wide, but is wide and natural, and the 2K bump is not equally pronounced.
Currently, however, I use the Hifiman Edition XS and prefer it over the 612: somehow better soundstage, detail, timbre; It is my preferred headphone, and classical is no exception. Since it is outside of your budget, if I were you I would choose the Sundara, that I have not heard but almost anyone agree that is very similar to the XS. HD600/HD650 always have a good timbre, and are an excellent choice, but their soundstage is small... the Edition XS is in my opinion more suited for classical music because of the beautiful, wide (but not innaturally so) soundstage.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 108
If you wish to get closer to the sound of a classical performance in a concert hall, I would avoid anything with somewhat bright mids or treble that is pushed. If you like the in the studio close up perspective, then ignore the following. But if you want 10th row or further, read on.

For my ears, that would leave out all Grado. While I haver not heard the AT mentioned above, reading about it leads me to believe it would be too bright. The AT- R70X is the exception, but above your budget. All the AKGs I have owned are too pushed in the upper mids, eg. 601, 240, 271 studio.

Logical choice is the Senn 600, but you may have to bump the 6khz or so down a touch. Since that is also above budget, perhaps the Senn 569. I had them for a while and they sound good, but ear fit may be an issue if the bump inside hits your ear. Also a dark horse but one of my early over the ears that was good is the Shure 840. The new 840a may indeed be an improvement and in your range.

My grandad came from Wales!

EDIT: Wait a minute Amazon uk has the ATH-R70X for 281 pounds. That is a no brainer. And should you ever go up on the amp front that thing scales well! Not clear on why no Amazon, but Thomann has them for 255. I need to see about sourcing a pair from Europe now that the euro is on par with the dollar.

As for why, it does deep bass better than any Senn 6xx series, the mids are smooth and the lower treble not as hot as the Senn 600. Good open soundstage and nice treble. Not super easy to drive but neither are the Senn 6xx series. You should be fine with the ifi Zen dac, but they do sound even better when fed by the ifi Zen ca.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 108
Hd600 or R70X are both good choices at that price range and can handle classical or other genres very well.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 108
If you wish to get closer to the sound of a classical performance in a concert hall, I would avoid anything with somewhat bright mids or treble that is pushed. If you like the in the studio close up perspective, then ignore the following. But if you want 10th row or further, read on.

For my ears, that would leave out all Grado. While I haver not heard the AT mentioned above, reading about it leads me to believe it would be too bright. The AT- R70X is the exception, but above your budget. All the AKGs I have owned are too pushed in the upper mids, eg. 601, 240, 271 studio.

Logical choice is the Senn 600, but you may have to bump the 6khz or so down a touch. Since that is also above budget, perhaps the Senn 569. I had them for a while and they sound good, but ear fit may be an issue if the bump inside hits your ear. Also a dark horse but one of my early over the ears that was good is the Shure 840. The new 840a may indeed be an improvement and in your range.

My grandad came from Wales!

EDIT: Wait a minute Amazon uk has the ATH-R70X for 281 pounds. That is a no brainer. And should you ever go up on the amp front that thing scales well! Not clear on why no Amazon, but Thomann has them for 255. I need to see about sourcing a pair from Europe now that the euro is on par with the dollar.

As for why, it does deep bass better than any Senn 6xx series, the mids are smooth and the lower treble not as hot as the Senn 600. Good open soundstage and nice treble. Not super easy to drive but neither are the Senn 6xx series. You should be fine with the ifi Zen dac, but they do sound even better when fed by the ifi Zen ca.
Hey. Thanks very much indeed for the reply and for the information.
Firstly your Grandad is obviously a fine gentleman 😉
Re headphones and the sound I’d ideally like to achieve. I have very little knowledge on this subject as the vast majority of my listening up until 3 months ago was done via speakers and not headphones. So I’m sort of starting out new. I do listen to other genres - Classic Rock, Prog Rock and Americana. But my main listening now is Classical, a lot of Baroque, Orchestral, String quartets, Chamber Music plus solo instrument (cello, oboe, piano, flute and bassoon. I like the idea of being ‘in the room’ with the ensemble/orchestral albums and I don’t mind solo instrument sounding more intimate.
I think my idea is that the soundstage should be wide, with space between individual and groups of instruments, definitely good separation between instruments especially in full orchestral pieces, excellent detail and involvement. So although I’d like these attributes, I don’t want it to feel sterile/too analytical.
I don’t want anything harsh or too bright or sibilant. I have mild tinnitus in my right ear and it is affected by anything too shrill sounding.
With my lack of knowledge I could very well be being unrealistic in my hopes here. It may be that nothing exists within my price range that offers these things. Also my Zen DAC has to be able to drive them well as it’s new and I don’t plan on changing it or adding to it.
Oh sorry, re Amazon, I’m actually living in Thailand. I’ve discovered that they will ship certain items out here, not everything. But I’ll pay import duties.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 108
I've hade the K702 and they are really good with classical and opera, mainly for their open and big soundstage. Only thing I disliked on them was the swelling in the 2 Khz area, which is audible (but Grado should be similar in this regard) and sometimes bothersome, expecially on lyrical voices. They also have a certain rolloff in the bass region, but this was not so critical when listening to classical. Now I have the K612 and overall prefer them over the 702: soundstage is not as wide, but is wide and natural, and the 2K bump is not equally pronounced.
Currently, however, I use the Hifiman Edition XS and prefer it over the 612: somehow better soundstage, detail, timbre; It is my preferred headphone, and classical is no exception. Since it is outside of your budget, if I were you I would choose the Sundara, that I have not heard but almost anyone agree that is very similar to the XS. HD600/HD650 always have a good timbre, and are an excellent choice, but their soundstage is small... the Edition XS is in my opinion more suited for classical music because of the beautiful, wide (but not innaturally so) soundstage.
Thanks very much for the reply. Appreciate it.
I’ve seen many people praise the Sundara actually. I can get them out here for the equivalent of £315. So budget wise that’s ok. Only issue would be I’m 6 hours from any decent HiFi shop so I’d have to buy online blind. I just don’t want to be going around in circles wasting time and money. Also here if you buy online you can’t return unless there’s actually something faulty about the item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back