Headphones for both listening and musicmaking on a (tiny) budget?
Nov 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Accoun

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, my last thread was about IEMs but it looks like I'm slowly getting into making my own music.
So I thought about getting headphones since they should do the work better than IEMs. I'm currently using Koss UR-40s, but TBH they don't belong to me so going outside with them (they're also gonna be used for listening) is rather impossible and I have to give them back when needed.
My budget is $50-70 and I'd prefer closed cans. Any propositions?

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Sony MDR-7506 would be your best bet, it's a bit expensive but it's a staple of many a studio for audio tracking.

Otherwise maybe the Maxwell DHP-II, but that's a real maybe.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, the Sonys are totally out of my range.
So now? The first propositions are those Maxells (but looks like they are Semi-Open)  - anything more worth thinking of?

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Yeah, the Sonys are totally out of my range.
So now? The first propositions are those Maxells (but looks like they are Semi-Open)  - anything more worth thinking of?

Argh I meant the Sony MDR V6, it's the consumer veersion of the 7506 and should be fine.

The Maxwells are semi open but they don't leak to much either way.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 7
I would see if you can track down a pair of Shure SRH-440's for $70. They retail for $99, but you can find them for a lot cheaper online.

If you can spend another $10 my favorite headphone is the Koss Pro DJ 100 for $80. They do need a really good amp though.
I've found them to be quite neutral, but with slightly forward mids. To me, they're far better then the SRH-440, but have less isolation and are much harder to drive.

Maxell DHP-II is really good and cheap. They're more semi-open though. They have a small grill with a foam backing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back