Headphones for ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Nov 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Hi guys!  It is update time!

I went with the HD 650's at an incredible bargain sale price.  I figure I can deal with them being "close to" fully driven for now and perhaps get a 100% sound out of them in the future.

I am currently in the process of burning them in (Pink Noise at a little above normal listening levels) as well as stretching the headband to fit easier on the head without being so tight.

The question that I have, for any experts out here on this card, is what gain setting do you prefer or recommend?

The card's software has High Gain (64-300 ohms) and Very High Gain (300-600 ohms).

I used the search function and found a similar question posed, however there was no definitive answer.  Can anyone shed more light on this at this point in time?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
smily_headphones1.gif

Other thread for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450803/xonar-essence-stx-and-sennheiser-hd650-gain-setting

Hey mate, congratulations on your purchase. Still, the STX isn't going to get it "close" to fully driven from my experience, but the main thing is that you're enjoying them! Consider looking at a nice, cheap amplifier like the Little Dot Mk III in the future, you won't be disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif
As for your question, let you ears answer that one for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 31
IMHO:
The best headphone for Asus Xonar STX is the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.
I also try Grado RS1 and HD600, but Tesla T1 is coming from another planet.
Very raccomanded.

Joy!

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 31
Hmmm some people say Very High would be better for the HD650 but since i don't own them, i'm not too sure haha.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 31
Going to reserve any judgments and decisions on impedance settings for the card for once I have done a proper burn-in..I am about 35 hours into the burn-in, playing pink noise above listening level (slightly) and they are in the closet on the box they came in so they can stretch a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
 I appreciate all the help and opinions in here, I will try to get a more detailed report in a week or so once I feel the 650's have had a proper burn in.

On a side note, my initial thoughts were that the 650's out of the box (no burn-in) were quite dull on all impedance settings, but were very vibrant when the EQ was tuned a bit (dance pre-set on sound card software with dance music).  I am not sure if burn in will make them more vibrant without the EQ changes but that is something I will be looking into when they are properly ready.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Going to reserve any judgments and decisions on impedance settings for the card for once I have done a proper burn-in..I am about 35 hours into the burn-in, playing pink noise above listening level (slightly) and they are in the closet on the box they came in so they can stretch a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
 I appreciate all the help and opinions in here, I will try to get a more detailed report in a week or so once I feel the 650's have had a proper burn in.

On a side note, my initial thoughts were that the 650's out of the box (no burn-in) were quite dull on all impedance settings, but were very vibrant when the EQ was tuned a bit (dance pre-set on sound card software with dance music).  I am not sure if burn in will make them more vibrant without the EQ changes but that is something I will be looking into when they are properly ready.

Congratulations on your purchase. You definitely didn't go wrong with the headphones. Whatever you feel about your STX after burn in, you can always build around your headphones eventually. Once again, great deal on the HD650!

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase. You definitely didn't go wrong with the headphones. Whatever you feel about your STX after burn in, you can always build around your headphones eventually. Once again, great deal on the HD650!

Well I find myself in a bit of an odd situation.  I read up on the 650 "veil" so I could see what I was potentially up against since I am a bit sad about the flatness of the mids and treble in my 650's.  From what I could find, the "veil" is really code word for people who just don't like the sound signature of the 650's as they are different from a lot of other cans.  I think that I may fit into that group because if I mess with the EQ, the sound goes exactly where I want it to be, making me think it may not be any issues with amping or anything else.

That being said, with a "dance" EQ pre-set, I am very very happy with the sound and they are not even close to fully burned in yet so I am looking forward to getting a finalized view on the sound of these cans.  And this is of course in reference to electronica music, almost forgot to mention that relevant point.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 31
I have the same setup as you. Use High Gain. Very High Gain sounds unnatural. You will have to deal with Popping noises with that card and my solution to it is using ASIO w/foobar. That got rid of the popping and cracks. I will be purchasing a dedicated amp for my headphones next but not for now as i am VERY happy with the amp from the stx card. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 31
I am unfamiliar with ASIO but I did a google and found it and downloaded, I am having a bit of a hard time getting Foobar to show it in the Output menu though, any ideas?

Quote:
I have the same setup as you. Use High Gain. Very High Gain sounds unnatural. You will have to deal with Popping noises with that card and my solution to it is using ASIO w/foobar. That got rid of the popping and cracks. I will be purchasing a dedicated amp for my headphones next but not for now as i am VERY happy with the amp from the stx card. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 31
Not sure if it'll fix your problem, but also try the WASAPI plugin with Foobar.

To address your other concern, I think that the concept of the "veil" with the HD650 is rather ambiguous. I'm not even sure if a lot of the people who claim to hear a veil effect refer to the same thing at all. The HD650 is laid back and has rolled off highs, sure, but as far as the veil, a lot of owners have also reported that it has all but disappeared with 1. the newer version of the headphones and 2. proper amplification. It's still laidback, and nothing will change that, but I have a feeling that when some people say "veil", they, in fact, mean its laidbackness. And I also feel that some of those who distinctly hear the "veil" might not be using proper amplification.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #27 of 31
I recently purchased a used hd650 (1 year, still in warranty) and for a few days i got to test a Little Dot MK V amping the signal from a X-Fi Xtrememusic. The only difference i sense when using the amp beside the higher volume output is a minor improvement in SQ and by minor i mean something like 1-2% better (could be placebo thou). Tomorow i will return the amp and instead ill upgrade the sound card with Essence ST. Maybe tomorow night if the amp will still be in my possesion ill come back with a feedback on amped/unamped hd650 from Essence ST.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #28 of 31
Unamped ST sounds a little flat, okay at best, with amp everything sounds more pronounce with wider sound stage and better instrument separation, the headphone amp is secondary, where this card really shines is its DAC, very good dac. Also swapping out op-amps brings it to a different level, letting you change sound signatures to your liking, personally i found the stock op-amp to be dull and muddy, swapping them out made very noticeable difference.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #29 of 31
Hello everyone.

I have a question close to this one.
I also have a Xonar STX sound card with a grado 325is headphone.
I was wondering if it has any sense to add a headphone amp to all of this.
Souncard to> Headphone amp to > Headphone.
I'm a total newbie so all my apologies if this is a stupid question.
English isn't my mothertongue soo please excuse my level of writing.
I'm listening to classical music as wel as pop and rock music.
Thanks in adnvance for your helsp!!!

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I have a question close to this one.
I also have a Xonar STX sound card with a grado 325is headphone.
I was wondering if it has any sense to add a headphone amp to all of this.
Souncard to> Headphone amp to > Headphone.
I'm a total newbie so all my apologies if this is a stupid question.
English isn't my mothertongue soo please excuse my level of writing.
I'm listening to classical music as wel as pop and rock music.
Thanks in adnvance for your helsp!!!

There is an amp built into the Xonar Essence STX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back