Headphones for around $300?
Nov 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ANbRX

New Head-Fier
Hello all, ive been a member of this site for quite some time, but this is my first time posting. Im looking to get some headphones for around 300, but am not sure what to get. I listen to a wide range of music, from Pink Floyd to Pig Destroyer, and also listen to a lot of dubstep/electro. Im tired of using cheap headphones that sound terrible or break in a month, and am looking for something more high-end. I have read a lot about the Beats by Dre headphones, but I head its all just hype. I liked the Beyer Dynamic DT770 32 Ohm versions, and was thinking about picking up those, but I wanted to hear from people with more experience. I will be using them mainly on my computer and laptop and sometimes my ipod, and will not be using an amp. I obviously would like to have a lot of bass, but not over powering like Skullcandy's or something similar. I want something that is comfortable and that I will not mind wearing for long periods of time. Im sorry posting another thread like this, and I know there are hundreds of them, but there are so many choices I really cant decide. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 2
The Sony MDR-XB700 might be a good choice.  Despite how they're marketed, many people around here find them surprisingly balanced, though with slightly more powerful bass than some other headphones, but not overpowering.

On the other hand, if you want crazy bass no matter what, I think beyerdynamic's DT 770 Pro (80 Ohms) would be a good choice, though it's been said that the bass on these headphones can overpower the midrange.

If you don't mind old-school-looking-but-durable headphones, another option is the beyerdynamic DT 150, which should be easily driven with a computer/laptop, but I'm not sure about an iPod.

Lastly, a popular choice is the Denon AH-D2000.  Do a search on the threads about this one--I've never heard it, so other people's opinions should be more helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back