Headphones For A Musician?
Jun 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

FreedomG

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not much of a Head-Fier... Just sitting here with the M50's lol ^^

My friend is a Musician, a very versatile one. Piano is her main instrument, but dude.. Does she PLAY.. Trombone, Bass Clarinet, Guitar, She knows how to play a HUGE amount, her dad is an instrument freak, this guy has so many instruments and knows how to play so many. Anyways I would say the gift is for her, but I know her dad would steal these headphones from time to time lolz..

I'm looking for something that's easy to drive, because I know she'll take them out and listen to music with them, she is musically versatile. Anywhere from Classical to Alternative Rock..

As far as instruments go, she plugs her current headphones ($30 skullcandies) into whatever she plays, such as her piano or even her guitar, and her dad has a music setup but I tried to talk to him, he knows nothing of headphones..

So pretty much I was just looking for some headphones around 200, willing to hit 300's..

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 24
That's pretty nice of you. I need to look for some new friends.
wink_face.gif

Should these be open or closed?

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 24
Audio technica esw9. Full stop. I played in a band for years and they ppl i played with were top notch musicians in my band and my college. They would appreciate the wood look of the esw9s and the versatile yet tubey sound. Just dont pick grados. They over pronounce guitars way too much, good for guitar players but only guitar

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 24
Well, what she enjoys listening to an a casual basis and what she might need for critical listening might well be two different things... which makes things difficult. I like wind016's point about the Grados... 

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 24
hahaha of course ESW10JPN is perfect. You dare say otherwise to a fanboy like me? 
wink_face.gif
 ESW10JPN has enough bass punch for a DJ, just not tough and isolating enough.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 24
If you can locate the Philips SBC HP830, it is good. Maybe a Sony MDR V6 could work too but from what I have read the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 seems the best option. (Sony MDR 7509?)

Lend her the M50 so she can audition it, that headphone could be good too. 

Yes' 'The Gates Of Delirium' sounds so good now, I am now in the 'Soon' part... (Listening with the HP830.)

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 24
I would go M50. If she hadn't needed closed ones, I would have concidered the HD595's. Sony MDR-7506 is in the same range as the M50, but I haven't compared the two, and therefore can't recommend one over the other - but my impression is that most people enjoy the M50's over the Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back