Headphones For A Drummer
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gorillaman5434

New Head-Fier
Okay, this is only my second post on Head-Fi, so I'm still new here. My first one was about what kind of headphones I should get, but I've been thinking, instead of having just some good headphones to listen to, why not some that I can use for drumming and listening? I've thought about the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the Audio Technica M40's. I think that's what they're called at least. Anyway, I need some good headphones that will block out the sound of my drums (not completely), so I can concentrate on the music I play along to, but I also want them to sound good with music that has a lot of bass and drumming (mostly rock and alternative rock). Finally, I would like them to be around $100, and no more than $150. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 7
For your price, the DT770's are a little too expensive.  As many people recommend nowadays, the Audio Technica M50's are always a solid choice.  They have good bass extension and instrument separation, and really bring out drums quite well.  Additionally, they are in your price and easy to drive without the need of an amp and things like that.

What will your source be?

Also, you may want to stay away from active noise cancelling.  From what I have read, it can introduce more problems and interference than its benefits.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 7
I experienced the same problem few years ago ,the best solution i found is to buy a good IEMs set (there are tons of guys who can help you to choose the best one right for drums sound on head-fi forums) and also a good sound isolation headset (many drums brands does make this headphones).

Next ,wear your IEMs inside your ears and the isolation headset too over the ears ,let's play! This is the custom solution , so ou can choose the sound you like as well as the amount of db you want to eliminate.

Another solution is to research on google the words drummer headphones , will show you hundreds of different items on the market ,beacuse any drummer in the world be on search for the right solution.

Also, I purchased  the METROPHONES , this specially ivented for drummers headphones have a KOSS speakers , liquid-filled cushions  for better isolation up to 29 db  and super comfort,a built in LCD metronome to help you when study on drums ,volume control , a cable to listen the music from ipods or other devices. Let's check at http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm  . Rated as "Best drummer headphones" also used by Travis Barker and many others famous drummers.

Have you fun on drums !

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for posting. My source will mostly just be my iPod, maybe just some old audio receivers my dad has in the basement sometimes or even my computer speakers. Oh, and those Metrophones, I've heard of them. How do they sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back