Headphones.com reviews Soul by Ludacris
May 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #46 of 62
I look at it this way....
Pretend headfi were a site dedicated to dining and fine eateries.
Even though you can get a better meal than mcdonalds, if a franchise came out with a new dish which challenged the Big Mac at its own game, it would have an audience and be perfecty worthy of praise. But it would be too far of a stretch to compare a Big Mac to a Morton's filet. The same can be said about cheaper meals. You can probably score a tastier meal for 10 bucks than mcdonalds meal but if the markets are different, it would be tough to justify a comparison

My only problem with this comparison is that soul/beats are not in the price range of a little big mac. I'd consider Skullcandy a better comparison to McDonald. Cheap, low quality but targets those looking for something cheap and fatty.
Beats are more like a gourmet McDonald. Basically taking the same thing as the regular McDonalds and just slapping a higher price tag and serving it in a plate rather than a little cardboard box. At this point, you can just go across the street and eat a real gourmet meal for the same price that has much more class and quality. (Not sure if I'm making sense... I'm really tired from studying for finals). Though, some people just don't appreciate said class and quality and would rather pay the same for a cheap burger.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:
i bought a good friend a pair of hd25 for his 30th birthday.  that same day he was given the solo hd from another friend.

which do you think he uses every day?:)

Although a little late...

Which one? WHICH ONE?

:D

(type - the HD 25 right? He is 30 so he knows what is better? :))

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #50 of 62
Are the SL300's overly bass heavy? I have have ATH-M50's, UE Triple Fi 10's, Ety HF3, but want a decent pair of headphones that are fun and have noise cancelling for work and flights. I mainly listen to rock, metal, and sometimes electronica.  I see that the SL300's are sub $200 now and was wondering if they are worth it(I have no place to try them out)?

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:
Are the SL300's overly bass heavy? I have have ATH-M50's, UE Triple Fi 10's, Ety HF3, but want a decent pair of headphones that are fun and have noise cancelling for work and flights. I mainly listen to rock, metal, and sometimes electronica.  I see that the SL300's are sub $200 now and was wondering if they are worth it(I have no place to try them out)?

I would look at the Ultimate Ears 6000.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

They may be worth it for your purposes.  I think the M50s sound better though overall. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #57 of 62
I know this is a very late comment but I figured I would atleast try. I owned the sl150, but they just recently broke after a year of ownership. I was very dissapointed because they broke just by trying to put on my head. But I am here to ask you opinion, I would love new headphones, and was wondering how much more bass does the SL300's have over the SL150's? I ask because I loved the SL150's, but I want more bass, but I do not like the studios because the bass sounds funny to me, and also you loose alot of the other parts of the musics with the mids and highs. As i said i loved the SL150's, but I want something with more bass, and the noise cancelation would be nice too. So do you think the SL300's would be right? Or do you know of any other headphones around 200 dollars unamped for rap, hip-hop and dub step that would be good?

Thank you!!!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #58 of 62
Hey all,

I actually just picked up some SL99's last night at Staples.  I wasn't looking for a set of headphones but they were on sale for $49.99 and thought it was a pretty good deal.  Once I got them home and fired up I am really please with them.  The SL99 review that is in this thread is spot on as I don't have much more to add. 

I am in a situation though, I am going on a trip at the first of next month and will be stuck on a plane for the majority of the day.  I have been thinking about getting a pair of noise cancelling headphones to use on the plane.  The SL99's do pretty well at blocking outside noice but I feel like the plane noise would be to strong for the phones to block.  Staples was having a sell on all the Soul phones they had, I don't remember if they had the SL300's or not though.  I have been thinking about making a trip back up there and possibly returning the SL99's for some 300's if they have them and are on sale. 

I've never tried noise cancelling phones before though, would they completely block out the planes engine noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back