Headphones Ath m50?
Sep 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mr BP SS13

New Head-Fier
OK so im needing some headphones, but I'm kind of a newbie. The only headphones I had over 50$ were the xb 500s. I have 150$ or less to spend, and I've been looking around but I'm not sure at all over what I should buy. I know the xb 500s are bass heavy, so I need some that have decent bass(doesn't have to be as much as xb500s though it would be nice)but also good overall sound clarity and quality. I listen to mostly hip pop and raprap but I listen to alil of everything. What do you guys know about these headphones: ath m50, hfi 580, HD 280 pro, hfi 680, or BlueAnt Embrace??

These seem to be in my budget but idk which ones are the best, also any suggestion?plz help I don't want to waste my money.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 17
The HFI-580 are more refined than the M50's. 
You can read this review/comparison. It seems like the way to go. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 17
The M50 offer up an inital wow and fun factor but at least for me the honeymoon ended after a short time. I've owned them twice and sold them twice. The shortcomings become clear, mainly that they fail to truly engage the listener. Great bass is their best offering.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 17
I was deciding between these two also Op. I went ahead and ordered the m50 from sound professionals. It's only $114 dollars after the rebate (might be even less now).

The things that turned me away from the HFI were: comfort complaints, S-Logic and generally not as much feedback as the m50.

I'm getting my M50 tomorrow so ill see how it goes but I feel as if I have made the right decision.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
The things that turned me away from the HFI were: comfort complaints, S-Logic and generally not as much feedback as the m50.
I'm getting my M50 tomorrow so ill see how it goes but I feel as if I have made the right decision.

Wow really? the headband can be annoying sometimes but is not a big deal. 
Most of HF members take the HFI over the M50. Just my .2 cents. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
OK so im needing some headphones, but I'm kind of a newbie. The only headphones I had over 50$ were the xb 500s. I have 150$ or less to spend, and I've been looking around but I'm not sure at all over what I should buy. I know the xb 500s are bass heavy, so I need some that have decent bass(doesn't have to be as much as xb500s though it would be nice)but also good overall sound clarity and quality. I listen to mostly hip pop and raprap but I listen to alil of everything. What do you guys know about these headphones: ath m50, hfi 580, HD 280 pro, hfi 680, or BlueAnt Embrace??
These seem to be in my budget but idk which ones are the best, also any suggestion?plz help I don't want to waste my money.

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?
If you liked the XB500, you might like the XB700s even more.
http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRXB700/

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 17
Well currently I have a nano 5th gen and the sound kind of suck, but I'm thinking of buying a sansa clip + , I heard they better sound?also, what's the main difference from the xb500s and 700s??

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Well currently I have a nano 5th gen and the sound kind of suck, but I'm thinking of buying a sansa clip + , I heard they better sound?also, what's the main difference from the xb500s and 700s??

My Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip arrived two days ago, bought the 4GB model and a separate 8GB Micro SD. total with shipping was $51.
I think I got some great value for the money, check the website anythingbutipod, for info and feedback on portable mp3 players.
I really have no idea on the differences, It's just that Sony MDR-XB owners seem ok with recommending the XB700.
Should be some reviews somewhere on Head-Fi for the MDR-XB series.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Yeah sure thing.

Hey, I just got my ATH M50 from sound professionals today and so far I have been listening for about 2 hours, and no comfort complaints or any complaints really. It sounds absolutely amazing on my TD9 and pretty much kicks my drum amps butt in sound quality (didn't think it would be this big of a difference).

I have been also listening to various MP3 songs (mostly just rock and general stuff, some low and some high quality) and I must say this headphone has really great depth, and in my opinion the instrument separation is really great too.

The bass is really punchy and great, but not overpowering. This just sounds amazing with my TD9.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt however, I'm new to the high quality headphone market, but so far these are amazing.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
The M50 offer up an inital wow and fun factor but at least for me the honeymoon ended after a short time. I've owned them twice and sold them twice. The shortcomings become clear, mainly that they fail to truly engage the listener. Great bass is their best offering.

I think that's a great way to describe it. I use my M50s at work because I don't want the engagement that my Ultrasones give me. The Ultrasones demand that I listen to them 
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
**** lol now I don't know which one to choose I've heard a lot of good things from hfi 580 and the ath m50s

You know when you walk into a club with a great sound system that engages you with the music? That's what Ultrasones do for me. The M50s are more like the experience of sitting back on the couch in front of a very good stereo and relaxing and listening to music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back